Should we have a contest?
Yes
 56%  [ 9 ]
No
 18%  [ 3 ]
I don't care
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Let's have a contest! Maybe wait until Omnigaga (or something) is finished. RPGs would be nice. Graphing Calculator
Wasn't a contest held a month or two ago?
I don't have it all figured out yet but I'm going to host an HTML contest after the Omnimaga one's done. I'll fill in the details later.
*sigh* Another contest?
swivelgames wrote:
*sigh* Another contest?

You Don't have to enter if you don't want to.
I owe several winners some prizes, if I recall correctly. Smile
Yes, Kerm, you do. Bad Kerm Mad Laughing

An HTML contest would be kind of fun. Depends on what exactly the contest is about Smile

Oh, and heads up, dibs on December through February for a contest at my place Very Happy
I dunno about HTML, could we do something more skilled/general like CSS, design, icon design, or something? Actually, I wouldn't mind a few mini design contests. Smile
I second that idea!

I'd like a good excuse to break out GIMP or Notepad again Smile
Haha, isn't that what I suggested last time? Razz

I thought we were talking about a calculator contest. I'm all for a web design contest or something similar Smile
swivelgames wrote:
Haha, isn't that what I suggested last time? Razz

I thought we were talking about a calculator contest. I'm all for a web design contest or something similar Smile
Calculator contests are nice, but a [web/!web] design contest might be a nice way to explore more areas of member expertise and also attract some new visitors who might otherwise just be lurking.
I actually like the idea of expanding outside of Calculators for our contests. We must diversify ourselves if we are to succeed in life.

A web design contest would definitely be great to see. I would love to once again start judging our contests. It is something I have missed in my absence from the Cemetech community.
Hrm... why didn't I get this reaction when I suggested it? Neutral

Hehe, I'm all for it Razz
Okay sounds good. I'm glad you guys are all for it. I'm currently working on the basic regulations and rules for it. My thought is pretty much to do what omnimaga did and split it into pure html and css/java/flash, etc. but I'm worried since pure html usually sucks... but I think that'd be more fair than doing a basic contest where everyone is in the same catagory. Heres what the rugulations are looking like so far:

Quote:
Svakk's Contest - HTML

Svakk will be hosting his first contest ever: an HTML contest. This category will be rather open, so use your imagination! It can include any HTML website. There will be two categories: the pure HTML category and the CSS, XHTML, Javascript, etc. category. A $10 iTunes Gift Card will be the first place prize for both the Basic HTML category and the advanced HTML category. The winners will also receive a custom-made banner showing that they've won. They will be graded on creativity, speed, size, graphics and "flashy-ness'. Projects shall be judged by myself (Svakk) and a select few from Cemetech through email and must be submitted by September 10, 2009 4:59 PM GMT??????

Entries must be sent via e-mail to myself and others. The e-mail address is s v a k k 2 3 @ y a h o o . c o m (other adresses here)(without the spaces between each characters). Put "HTML contest" on the subject line of the emails.

Rules-

1). You must not use anyone else's code (NO TEMPLATES).
2). You may release screenshots of your progress and have others help you, but you may not have any help with your project.
3). The folder for your HTML program must have:
.)A Title
.)Home Page Program (index.html)
.)All Web Files
.)A Readme stating the name of the website/document, your name, a return email address, and the name you would like on the banner if you win.
4). Each person may only submit one file.
5). The website/HTML must not be viewable on the internet at anytime before the September 15, 2009.
6). Each project must have at least 2 fully functional pages.
7). Failure to comply with any rules will result in automatic file deletion without warning and no chance for re-submittance.
8.) Svakk has the right to change and modify the rules at any time.

Anything I've Forgotten?

Also, I'm still deciding on the date, and I made the dates different so that when I/we are judging them I/we can make sure they aren't already online first.

EDIT:
I fixed the rules to apply for foamy's correction (See below)
Svakk wrote:

.)A text file that has your code on it.

Um... isn't the code in the other files submitted?

And can you enter both contests?
foamy3 wrote:
Svakk wrote:

.)A text file that has your code on it.

Um... isn't the code in the other files submitted?

And can you enter both contests?

FYI: This contest isn't yet open!!!!!

So here we go

::Yes, the text code is in the files, so I'm gonna take out that rule (thanks for pointing that out)
::Yes, you may enter both contests, but you may only be selected to win one of them.

There will also be an honorable mention, but I don't know what we'll do about that.

Kerm: While I'm getting all of my technical stuff and whatnot, can you start working on the banner for the winner's. I'm not expecting you to do the whole thing, but if you'd like to, you can.

Anything else?????
Folders can't be emailed and if we can only submit one file and have to have 2 pages then that means that we must submit archives, and if we submit archives then you should specify the allowable types (ie zip only or zip/gz/tar/tar.gz only) or I might submit a dmg file. Also a suggestion, make a category including php (and maybe mysql) and possibly another where anything goes including sections of others code as long as you had some part in the sites design (ie not stealing a really good site and just entering it, but you could steal their css).
Svakk wrote:
5). The website/HTML must not be viewable on the internet at anytime before the September 15, 2009.
So you want it hosted, and the source sent too?
Wait, Svakk, are you coming up with rules for the Cemetech contest, or is this something separate from the Cemetech contest that you're hosting?
Okay, Lots to answer

Kerm: I was planning on doing this for a while, and when you guys suggested it, I figured i'd help it here if I could. I'm planning on hosting it somewhere else if you guys don't want me to do it.

Swivel: No. I just don't want people to use a website that they've already made/uploaded. I want people to upload something new and so that it's fair for those that haven't started working on thier website.

Glenn: Thanks for saying that. I'll change it so that it says zip files, and also I said "etc." and that pretty much means anything other than pure html.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours