6%  [ 3 ]
Punch-Out!
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Legend of Zelda
 15%  [ 7 ]
Final Fantasy
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 45

It's been slow going w/ the pandemic but figured I'd give an update on NESizm.

Since release I've fixed a few issues with scanline rendering around something called Sprite 0 Hits and interrupts on MMC3. MMC3 is arguably the most popular mapper since it is used for most of the later popular games in the NES lifecycle. This fixes issues with the status bar seen in SMB1 and SMB3.

I added Rambo-1 mapper support, which is honestly mostly for Shinobi. The other games are just meh IMO.

I'm working on sound support now.

This started with a fairly involved review on the sound generation I did with the 1-bit serial port on Prizoop. I analyzed the voltage levels coming out of the serial port and figured out how quickly the voltage was rising and falling, which allowed me to make more informed decisions on the trade-offs between scratchiness and distortion.

So I made substantial improvements to the sound in Prizoop. I also sped up emulation by about 10% there as well using some concepts I developed in NESizm. So I may do a minor Prizoop release in the coming weeks.

Back to Nesizm: with the improved sound setup, now that I have about half of the wave generators working properly, specifically the pulse generators which are arguably the most complex. I expect to finish all sound generators soon and then decide if I want to add anything else before another official release.

Hope everyone is staying safe.
I have released v0.95 now w/ full sound support, Rambo-1 mapper support, screen stretching using a fun frame interlacing technique, and lots of bug fixes.

https://github.com/tswilliamson/nesizm/releases

Will post a new binary to the cemetech archives shortly!
I've finished the final mapper that I think I'm going to add to the emulator. Pretty much every major NES game is now supported, though several Famicom mappers didn't make the cut.

Now I'm working on some fun options for the 1.0 release, such as this old TV background option:

Never have time to set it up including roms but thank you very much for all your work
Really cool emulator! Do you think you could also add a FPS-counter on the right side of the screen where the clock is located?
Yep good idea! Just added it to the code. It's fun to see the FPS in real time.

I intend on doing a 1.0 release pretty soon, there is a naggy issue with the sound not turning on every time that I'd like to fix, and I want to be using Tari's new SDK version but haven't gotten to fixing some of the misc issues I had with it yet.
Thank you for adding the FPS-Counter. I tried it out and it works really well. Also I like the other new features like the game genie or the little hand in the menu. Smile
Just one more thing. I think there is a sound issue. When notes follow each other too quickly it skips notes which sounds not so good. This is very noticeable in the title screen of Micro Mages.
Version 1.00 is out! Available (once approved) in Cemetech archives or here in the GitHub releases page. Newest release includes 21 mappers, FAQ viewer, game genie support, palettes/broad color options, and more!

See the full github readme for details.

Phew. What a project. Started this thing in 2017. I'm done with the NES for now I think Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours