So today, I had some ideas for a Star Trek game for the CE, and thought I'd get this put down in a forum post where it will be safe for the time being.

I'm still working on learning C for the CE, so anything to do with this from me beyond ideas will be a while off. Anyone wanting to take this project on for themselves, I wouldn't stop you, just make sure it's amazing :p

To start, the game tracks your progress, so if you don't have any progress in the game, you are brought to a screen to choose from the different Alpha Quadrant alliances, like Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulans. You start out in the Enterprise era of ships. In terms of Klingons and Romulans, they didn't deviate much until the TNG era, so a lot of sprites would be similar, just need to adjust for shield and weapon strength.

Whichever option you choose, you have to play through their levels until you advance enough to open up the other races/alliances. As you progress, you'll be able to buy upgrades for your ships, and eventually you can research new ships as you gain exp.

Weapons for ships:

Federation start out with phase cannons and missile style torpedoes, then evolve into different types of phaser arrays, photon torpedoes, plasma torpedoes, quantum torpedoes, and transphasic torpedoes (end of game)

Klingons will have the standard array of disrupters and photon torpedoes.

Romulans have disrupters, plasma torpedoes, and photon torpedoes.

Other races/alliances will be considered, as this idea flourishes and grows.

Eventual end game is facing off against a full Borg invasion. Other scenarios are being considered as well for potential replayability, or quick game scenarios.

Giving thought to possible secondary functions that the alliances would be able to use, like with Klingons and Romulans, they have access to cloaking technology, so they'd be able to cloak for short periods, to possibly restore shields or other vital systems. Going to have to do some research on what the Federation could have as secondary boosts.

I was thinking that perhaps this could be a Phoenix like game where you are attacked in waves. Not sure how well the CE could handle a map of X and Y pixels where your ship flies around and shoots off the various weapons arcs. Might also be something to ponder and look into.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
Just curious, have you developed this idea at all since you posted? And are you thinking you'll do this in C?
I've only been a loose Star Trek fan over the years, but I'd love to see a Star Trek themed game on the CE!

A Phoenix style game would be cool. Or if you're feeling adventurous, something along the lines of the Atari game Star Raiders would be really neat Smile
Oh wow, hadn't seen posts here, sorry about that. ^^;

I've been contemplating this for a bit, but I ultimately need to solidly get on my quest to learn C. I need to make smaller things and learn before I'm at a level able to handle this project, like so many others.

I'd love to have something along the lines of Star Trek Starfleet Command, but I'm not sure the calculator could handle that. One step at a time, though.
JamesV wrote:

A Phoenix style game would be cool.

I would love to see a Phoenix style game for the CE. When I had a monochrome 84+ I would play the original Phoenix constantly, beating my high scores over and over again. I loved the upgrade and leveling system.
CHill wrote:
JamesV wrote:

A Phoenix style game would be cool.

I would love to see a Phoenix style game for the CE. When I had a monochrome 84+ I would play the original Phoenix constantly, beating my high scores over and over again. I loved the upgrade and leveling system.
You should check out Calcuzap for the TI-84+CE! It's by Patrick Davidson (who coded Phoenix) Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours