Wow, last time I was near a contest, my Prizm got bricked. Well, I've got an idea for air, and I hope I don't brick the rest of my (or tester/judges) equipment in the process. As for what I'm doing, I have an idea, need to hash out the specifics to see if it is viable. I won't release anything else other than my tentative participation (to not let anyone down or give expectation of deliverables). Until the August deadline, I'll be bricking working.
I'm in a state of quantum-emotional superposition: I am both incredibly excited and let down at the same time.
I guess I'll add some details about what I'm doing, since I've committed in getting CI builds running, have a rough backlog planned out, and am working on asset creation.

Drone delivering packages in a city full of other air traffic. Maybe someone's ordering bulk TI-86's from ebay again. Or it's just generic boxes of stuff. Either way, the core concept is to fly to package airlift locations, grab one, then fly to the destination and drop it off. I'll worry about expanding on what you do once I get something playable (currently v0.1 milestone).

Using UE 4.15.3, will be a mix of Blueprints and C++. Currently going to target Win64, maybe Linux as well. Controller preferred, KB+mouse will also work.
Oh gosh, I haven't seen you post in years! Glad to see an old timer taking part in a contest. I wish you the best of luck with this, hopefully you will keep us updated on your progress over the next few weeks/months.
mr womp womp wrote:
Oh gosh, I haven't seen you post in years! Glad to see an old timer taking part in a contest. I wish you the best of luck with this, hopefully you will keep us updated on your progress over the next few weeks/months.
Heh, yeah, as my activity graph shows, I've had a nearly year-long gap here, mainly due to work. And I'll update this when I have something significant to show. Right now, getting core models created.
HCWP this Wednesday involved getting the claw picking up objects correctly and dropping them in dropoff locations. Still working on the spawn and dropoff locations, but after that, the basic mechanic should be good, minus graphical oddities when I get into unrealistic cases, like overlapping boxes causing the drone to smash through other boxes, sending them flying, or trying to pick up upsidedown boxes, whereby the drone obediently goes to the pickup marker (which is now upside down underground).

Looking at my v0.1 milestone backlog due end of Friday, major things left are getting a gamemode in to control regular game mechanics and to finalize the drone & claw models.
Out with the old drone model

In with the new final model

I'm a bit behind where I wanted to be with my v0.1 milestone, wanted to get the HUD in and have a goal implemented, but I'll be doing that over the weekend as I move forward.
Well, not much happened for the v0.2 milestone that ended Friday, which was to get pathfinding and a few basic buildings created. I can say that pathfinding is nearly done along with integrating pathfinding/delivery mechanics with gamemode & controller & pawn & HUD.

Looking at my backlog, I reserved v0.3 milestone for making the map (and assets), no functionality/code.
In HCWP, I was basically muted just working on wiring up navigation, random dropoff selection, and scoring. That all got done, so for the few hours I was working on it, I'd call that progress. Still thinking about how I want the map to be, might not get to that until Friday. Until then, I'll be looking at finishing up drone control. Currently, I just update the pawn position on the XY plane. I'll have to get collision working, redo movement, and get altitude control added.
Well, shoot. I have a spreadsheet tracking 55 models to make and get in the engine. A bit over a quarter are modeled, but aren't finished. But I know what the map will look like! This week should be nothing but make creation. After that, fix flying (movement is cheating - moving position with a set velocity. Need to hook up to physics for full flight control and collision) and get a main menu (settings, mutators, etc.). Everything after is a bonus.
Up to 58 map models, 79% modelled, 67% UV mapped, which is good enough to build the map! Still need to get them textured (17% currently) and in the map, but it's looking good so far. Will be cutting it close, although for a while I thought the deadline was August 4th, so at least that's a bit more time to finish this.
Oh hey, look, a city

Still need more textures/materials, but layout looks good. I can already add pickup and dropoff locations already and get the waypoint system mapped out which would make it playable. I'll add more screenshots once I fix the bad normals on the road tiles (read: how to manually adjust normals in Blender, although I have an idea how to fix them). I've also try doing some terrain painting in VR to see if that's a better way to edit vs. mouse & keyboard (same with placing smaller decorative items).
Your city looks great! But it could be easier to make...
Why not use GeoPipe? Razz

This post was not sponsored by GeoPipe.
Got the navigation waypoints created, player & spectator spawns added, pickup and dropoff locations added, worked a bit on the water material, got textures on the mall buildings, and set up collision bounds for the city limits and buildings.

Screenshot from the mall dropoff location (looks bare, didn't add any decorative items yet) (Also, most doors are sideways. I can UV good)

<edit> HCWP will be getting a v1.0 release done. Will probably touch up the map a bit in VR. I have no idea if Hangouts will like casting that at all or if I can get a sane mic setup.
Well, I got a minimum release ready. It's an ugly release with debug drawing still on and movement is still wrong. I've now got physics-based movement, so there's now collision with world objects, updated controls to include altitude and strafing controls, and better control over movement altogether.

A main menu was added on HCWP with basic settings added (engine scalability, fullscreen toggle, v-sync toggle), so you can at least get it to run on a wider range of hardware. Screen resolution is still a todo.

I'll see how much else I can get done before the submission. I'll have to allot for the ~1-2 hours for getting the final lighting build done and a build published, but I'll keep at it. Mostly cosmetic improvements now and tweaking the drone character.
Got a house pawn that randomly picks a house mesh and hue for the siding in the construction script. Here's a view from the neighborhood with the city in the background:

<edit> Lighthouse added, residential area finished.

<edit>

Aaaand it's done! All 742MB of drone goodness (compressed ofc.) was submitted. I'll post up some screenshots of the final game after a bit of resting. Now to bake some cookies!

@jonbush et al., since this can't go in the archives and I have links, when should I post links to this thread?
AHelper wrote:
@jonbush et al., since this can't go in the archives and I have links, when should I post links to this thread?

You can go ahead and post the links now. As usual, I will also include the download link in the voting post.
jonbush wrote:
AHelper wrote:

You can go ahead and post the links now. As usual, I will also include the download link in the voting post.

Ok, Link for anyone interested: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7zGB2OIjFRUlpESWVQNWthY0U

Running what was built, turns out box spawners aren't in the game, so the most you can do is fly around. Doh! Should have tested a build much earlier on to catch that.
AHelper wrote:
742MB

more like

Confused
Only the Win64 zip is needed, src 7z is only needed if you have UE4 and want to build it (which sadly is the only way currently to have boxes spawn in order to actually play). Still looking into why non-PIE runs are missing actors.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours