Good incentive for me to learn ASM <_<
Sure, it's a good language to know anyway. A bit on the complex side, though.
I am going to work a bit more on C++ and then I am going to take a stab at ASM.
Sounds like a plan; good luck with that. I'm getting close to having a working version of DSC with MOS support. Smile
I've tried learning ASM several times, but it's really hard. Most languages are generally all the same but with different syntax. ASM is just... weird.
Agreed, it's not really like any other language. I was happy to have learned x86 assembly before I learned z80; it helped a lot.
I really need to work on learning assembly again.
maybe I should try and learn once I have php down.
Hehehe, looks like everyone wants to learn ASM. Smile
Chipmaster wrote:
I think that they're just jealous of how incredibly cool we are for knowing it, and they want to be more like us. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:
I think that they're just jealous of how incredibly cool we are for knowing it, and they want to be more like us. Wink

Who would want to be like you? Just Joking Razz [/b]
(checks) According to my last count, just under 500,000+10,000 direct users, and about quadrupal that figure total indirectly, why? Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
(checks) According to my last count, just under 500,000+10,000 direct users, and about quadrupal that figure total indirectly, why? Very Happy

>.< I really need to realize how literal you are, 0x5.
Laughing I know you were joking, I was just playing with ya. Cool Heh.
So was I, gosh, 0x5. How could you miss it? Razz [last word!]
Heh. The funny thing is, I'm not even sure if you said "lol" or "lol" thanks to that fun filter.
----- Today's Ideas -----
- Key -
1. Idea - Possible.
2. Confused - Not as possible.
- - - - -

Idea - Remote desktop and Remove login.

Confused - A file system for the RAM (and/or Archive) that supports compression. You could increase your RAM and/or Archive space without doing any hardware modding.

Confused - Virtual memory, so if a memory-intensive program uses up what you have left, some other medium of memory (like archive or even some kind of "remote memory") could be used.

Idea Confused - Remote storage and file manipulation where you could store files from your calc on a PC or a remote server, or another calc and make changes to them and execute them as if they were on your calc. And when you want to execute one, it could download it and launch it along with any subroutines and levels that may be needed (this could allow someone to have a bunch of levels for a game in on a server and then you could play any level that you wanted without having to have all of them on your calc first).

Idea - Access permissions, like those in Linux, that you can set on a file or folder to limit who can read and/or write to it.

Confused - Something that could let you watch videos and TV on your calc by converting video feeds and streaming them to your calc. As for sound, you oculd have any closed-captioning and subtitiles included in the media Text()-ted onto the video, so you can read along with what's going on and you won't need sound most of the time. Wouldn't that give some something interesting to show your friends in class?

Confused - Hardware idea: A MIDI device. This would allow programs to have sounds and music without too much trouble.

Idea Confused - Firewall and antivirus software (you wouldn't want some hacker to use your calc to hack your PC or clear your RAM or something bad like that would you?)

Idea Confused - If there are any speed hacks on the TI-83+ (like that to make some ASM programs run at near-SE speed, etc), add options to enable them.

Idea - A Cemetech store. You could build hardware and make shirts and stuff like that and sell them, then use the money to create better even better innovations/inventions.

Confused - Hardware idea: A mini-CD/floppy/DVD/USB drive for the 83+.

Idea - Calcsys-like tools.

Idea Confused - A package system (like Linux) to manage programs, especially those that need dependencies (subroutines).
Remote Desktop: All you'd really need to do is support sending a bitmap of the screen and receiving keypresses. Not terribly difficult. Why might one need such a feature?

Remove Login: What do you mean? There is no login at the moment. I plan to readd the option for login in 6.0 though.

Compressed filesystem: Rather easy in theory; the execution of it might be challenging. All you'd need is to set an unused bit in the VAT entry to indicate it is compressed, then update the file itself with a compressed version. The first three bytes would of course have to be $BB,$6D,$C9 to prevent the TI-OS from messing around with it. To run such programs, DCS would decompress to program RAM (if there was enough), run, and then recompress to storage. Might be an idea for DCS 7 or 8.

Virtual Memory: Could be implemented using some of the Flash. Note that this would put a fairly large strain on the read/write cycles of the flash. Actually, you've got an interesting idea about remote memory - all you'd need is a couple of piece of 2011 RAM slaved to a microprocessor and connected into the Cn2 bus.

Remote storage & file manipulation: I plan to create some kind of FTP-related system: Cemetech will, of course, have a gCn server with SID 00000000000000 that will contain a repository of as many programs, files, and services as possible.

File permissions: Why would one need that? You can only have one person using a calc at once. The only reason this might be useful is if I implemented a multiuser system in which different users could have different user levels, eg Guest, User, Mod, Admin.

TV/Video feed: That would be _incredible_, and extremely easy to implement. However. That would seriously strain the thoroughput capacity of the current gCn. This is why I need to resolve the issue with the 60 frame per second problem stemming from the 100,000 cc attention-grabbing pause.

MIDI Device: Doors CS already has builtin routines for mod-1 music, and may have mod-4 routines by the time 6.0 is released.
pyro_xp2k wrote:
Idea Confused - Firewall and antivirus software (you wouldn't want some hacker to use your calc to hack your PC or clear your RAM or something bad like that would you?)

Methinks that idea is pretty much worthless, as you'd have to be stupid enough to RUN the program first....
Kllrnohj wrote:
pyro_xp2k wrote:

Methinks that idea is pretty much worthless, as you'd have to be stupid enough to RUN the program first....

Or let someone you don't completely trust have the ability to send files to your calc. Plus, I think anything to do with the calc will have to be acknowledged and accepted by the user through gCn, so hacking would be impossible.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours