Couldn't you just add "Group" support instead? Or are there not bcalls for that?
But groups aren't compressed.
there is an app on ticalc.org that reimplements groups iirc.
I believe it's not that hard - there's a createGroup bcall, so it's not that hard.
ah, this is what I was thinking of: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/385/38560.html
To tell you the truth, I bet that could be done with a lot less memory. Hmm...
KermMartian wrote:
To tell you the truth, I bet that could be done with a lot less memory. Hmm...

yeah. my thoughts exactly.

Shock. a file manager for all file types would be nice. add an undeletable folder called Media that would let you browse variables, Pics, strings, etc.

clicking on one could display its contents.
Sure, there's my 6.3 feature. Very Happy
More ideas:

- A "hypertext protocol" and browser where you can make "webpages" on your calc that can be viewed on a network of calcs. Also a telnet program.

An idea for wireless access to the internet though your calc would be to get one of those wireless link cables that you can hook to your computer, then someone could make your computer a calc-internet server and convert pages so that they can be read on the calc and stuff can be sent back.

Maybe someone could port Firefox to the TI-83+? Wouldn't that be awesome? Very Happy

It would be cool if it was possible to access wireless networks and you could surf the net that way without the need for a comp server...

Maybe an IP address system could be set up too... but maybe all these networking ideas are getting a little bit too impossible to do - after all, it's only a calculator...

- A desktop would be nice if this isn't already in the plans. One that you can drag the icons to where you like them to be (or have them autosorted like Windows and other OSes do), and right click on an empty space to go change desktop settings and stuff like that.

- Virtual screen resolutions.

- Windows. When you open a folder, its contents can come up in windows, and you can switch windows, and all that. Even cooler would be to be able to run a program in a window that you could move around, and even have more than one program running at a time. When you switch running programs, it would pause one and continue the other, so your CPU cycles and all that don't get too hogged up...
pyro_xp2k wrote:
More ideas:

- A "hypertext protocol" and browser where you can make "webpages" on your calc that can be viewed on a network of calcs. Also a telnet program.
HTTP already being written, telnet has already been made.

Quote:
An idea for wireless access to the internet though your calc would be to get one of those wireless link cables that you can hook to your computer, then someone could make your computer a calc-internet server and convert pages so that they can be read on the calc and stuff can be sent back.
Good idea. gCn is going to meet this spec.

Quote:
Maybe someone could port Firefox to the TI-83+? Wouldn't that be awesome? Very Happy
Surf DE is currently in the preplanning stage, built on the DCS GUIAPI and gCn.

Quote:
It would be cool if it was possible to access wireless networks and you could surf the net that way without the need for a comp server...
difficult.

Quote:
Maybe an IP address system could be set up too... but maybe all these networking ideas are getting a little bit too impossible to do - after all, it's only a calculator...
Believe it or not, this is already a completed part of DCS.

Quote:
- A desktop would be nice if this isn't already in the plans. One that you can drag the icons to where you like them to be (or have them autosorted like Windows and other OSes do), and right click on an empty space to go change desktop settings and stuff like that.
You mean in addition to the current desktop? Hmmm, it wouldn't be that hard to have moveable icons.

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this one, please?

Quote:
- Windows. When you open a folder, its contents can come up in windows, and you can switch windows, and all that. Even cooler would be to be able to run a program in a window that you could move around, and even have more than one program running at a time. When you switch running programs, it would pause one and continue the other, so your CPU cycles and all that don't get too hogged up...
The multiprocess thing is already planned for DCS7. The GUIAPI is already mostly in place.
Quote:

Can you elaborate on this one, please?

Virtual screen resolutions - you could set a virtual screen resolution to maybe - I don't know - 320x240 and would be able to view this on the calculator by having it scroll when you move the mouse to either edge of the screen. That would give you lots of space to move windows, more desktop space, you could have larger wallpaper, etc.

My crude ASCII example pic:
Inner box would be what would be displayed on the calc screen.
|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
|::::+-----------------------+::::::::::::::::|
|::::|..............................|:::::::::::::::::|
|::::+-----------------------+::::::::::::::::|
Huh, very interesting! I do like that idea... Actually, that could be quite useful. I think I'll add these ideas of yours to
http://www.cemetech.net/doorscs/index.php?p=track
I have several more ideas, too, but I'll wait until many more "accumulate" and then I'll just give all them in one big post instead of a bunch of little ones like this.
You got it. It sounds like you feel making the calculator emulate the computer more efficiently or closely would improve Doors CS's user experience?
Yeah, I guess so, and plus it would be kind of nice if people could just go out and buy an 80-dollar calculator and install DoorsCS instead of buying one of those expensive 400-dollar handheld computers...

Cemetech could become the calculator equivilant of Microsoft once that started happening... Laughing
pyro_xp2k wrote:
Yeah, I guess so, and plus it would be kind of nice if people could just go out and buy an 80-dollar calculator and install DoorsCS instead of buying one of those expensive 400-dollar handheld computers...

Cemetech could become the calculator equivilant of Microsoft once that started happening... 0x5
That's the idea. Smile It's just so much work to do alone. Razz I eventually see DCS becoming a full OS, not just a shell.
KermMartian wrote:
pyro_xp2k wrote:

Cemetech could become the calculator equivilant of Microsoft once that started happening... 0x5
That's the idea. Smile It's just so much work to do alone. Razz I eventually see DCS becoming a full OS, not just a shell.

That is exactly what I was thinking. If you added math support and made it possible to write/edit BASIC programs, you could do it.
But it wouldn't write/edit BASIC. It would write/edit it's own interpreted language that is totally superior to BASIC and hopefully includes sprite support.
You read my mind. And this language could run on every calc that Doors CS was made for. Doors CS could be ported to every line of TI-calc that can run ASM progs, and we could all make programs that ran on every calc.

EDIT: And the CASIO and HP calcs, too... And even the Gameboys!!
Now _that_ would be cool. The problem with that is I would DEFINITELY need a group of programmers for each calc model.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours