Recently I've been thinking about creating an arcade cabinet or similar as a project. It would be only for arcade fighting games like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter II/III, running an emulator for MAME ROMs. Different games would be loaded probably by flash drive or similar storage device.

I probably would buy the casing of the cabinet itself, but the internals I would build.

Would this be possible, and if so, where would I start on this project? I do want to do most of the research for this myself, but I'm also completely lost as to where I would start or if this is even possible. Thanks
it is very possible, I've seen it done many times. As for where to start, I would use something like a raspberry pi with retropie or maybe even a very small desktop computer. Also I have had very good experiences with teensy boards for custom controller rigs. I hope this helps and I wish you good luck on the project!
Thanks! I do have a spare computer that's around middle-of-the-road (or what was considered such in 2009) and should be fine for emulating arcade games. I'll probably scout craigslist for broken arcade machines to use. I'm not planning on using an authentic CRT monitor, so any 4:3 monitors I find laying around should do the job.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours