Results - Wednesday, 7-19-17
Match Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isAURpDANY

Red Ship: ACagliano, Lord_Charlemagne
Blue Ship: TurquoiseDrag0n, NickSkillz

- Today's match had a new element to it, exploring the ocean below for resources that you may use on your ships. Within the ocean is a "base" filled with loot chests and dangers. On the whole, the left side of the base is fairly safe and the right side is very dangerous (but also home to more powerful equipment).

- Lord_Charlemagne was the first player to die to the Hallway of Death, my code name for an incredibly difficult section of the underwater base lined with blaze and vex spawners. (Thanks to tifreak for getting that bit set up).

- Sadly I died twice soon after, as the mobs then turned their attention to me. To my knowledge, no one has yet reached the secret area at the end of the Hallway of Death.

- After time ended, we outfitted our ships and began the match.

- The match soon became one sided, as Blue managed to land a TNT shot that destroyed one stone slab of the Red ship, but Red's first shots destroyed Blue's central cannon and damaged the right one. After Red succeeded in disabling Blue, we then invaded their ship and detonated their core.
Red gets another win. Making the total score 4-0 Red.

For more stats/rules/information, head over to http://caglianotechdesigns.com/mcpvp/startrek.php
@admins: Scroll to end of post for an idea for the finale event (distant future)

Results from Thursday, 7-27-17
Match Video: https://youtu.be/YmxI4iuCz1o
I changed my YouTube channel name to NefariousArcher.
A video recorded by commandblockguy, using ReplayMod, that captures the combat in the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQXn0JbpWE

Red Team: WhosAdam, commandblockguy, VVestin
Blue Team: ACagliano, TurquoiseDrag0n

- The Hallway of Death claimed two new victims in this event, VVestin and TurquoiseDrag0n. I'm considering creating an achievement for clearing this area since it seems to thwart all who enter.

- Red succeeded in quickly taking out Blue's top cannon, and the water spilled out and broke the redstone for the rest of the cannons. Blue only managed to take out part of Red's viewscreen. After that, Red's players began invading the Blue ship. TurquoiseDrag0n was the first to die at the hands of commandblockguy. ACagliano avenged his death, but was quickly eliminated by WhosAdam. Adam then broke into the core chamber, where ACagliano attempted to defend the core again, but failed. The core was breached.

Current Event Score: 5 - 0 Red.

A finale event idea (likely lined up close to the end of the server)

I want to create a fairly large borg cube and create a backup of that as well. This borg cube would have arrow-shooting arrays and many TNT-shooting arrays, all of which would be wired up to a redstone fast-ticking randomizer clock that causes each module to fire at random intervals (but fairly quickly). For this event, the Red and Blue ships would be pasted in farther away from each other (perhaps requiring a slight expansion of the world border), with the Cube pasted in the middle. The Cube would also have some command blocks in it, randomly spawning mobs named "Borg" in the Ships and inside the Cube. The Red and Blue teams would be working together to attempt to defeat the Cube. The winning team would be chosen based on a combination of Kill/Death ratio, least damage to ship, and a few other factors. In addition, the player who successfully boards the Cube, makes it to the Cube's core, and detonates it wins the event and gets a special prize.

It would also be cool to allow different payloads of TNT (for example the Too Much TNT mod allows TNTx5, TNTx10, TNTx20... all the way to x100). This however would require installing a mod on the server and on participating clients, which would likely never happen. However, commandblockguy does say something like this is doable in vanilla using command blocks.
It is definitely possible, I did it last week. (Happy coincidence)

I basically check which item the nearest player is holding, and set a tag (the flint and steel you use change the power of the tnt) based on it.

There multiple ways of doing the next step, but when the command thingie detects a tnt entity with 1 tick left on the fuse, and an applicable tag, it summons a creeper with no fuse length and an edited blast radius.

This also means that you can disable this by turning off mobgriefing in an area (might be a towny thing idk)

I'll post the 1-command thing here when I get home today or tomorrow.
commandblockguy wrote:
[...]

Code:
[...]
god commandblockguy
pex user commandblockguy remove worldedit.clipboard.paste
nty.
KermMartian wrote:
commandblockguy wrote:
[...]

Code:
[...]
god commandblockguy
pex user commandblockguy remove worldedit.clipboard.paste
nty.

I just want to clarify Kerms shortness here. We're now taking the automation of copying the ships a bit more seriously and, well, Kerm isn't sold on the idea of giving users certain privileges. So, we'll either go with the armor strand approach or something entirely different but I'm unsure what that can be. Ideally, something that ensures Acagliano is the only user (outside of Mods/Admins) who can reset the ships.
Alex wrote:

I just want to clarify Kerms shortness here. We're now taking the automation of copying the ships a bit more seriously and, well, Kerm isn't sold on the idea of giving users certain privileges. So, we'll either go with the armor strand approach or something entirely different but I'm unsure what that can be. Ideally, something that ensures Acagliano is the only user (outside of Mods/Admins) who can reset the ships.

Can a player be given world-specific access to some worldedit commands? Or via the use of regions, the ability to conduct WE's within said region(s)?
They can (with Pex, at least), and the commands I sent activate them temporarily and can be changed to work in only one world (I don't remember the exact syntax). The godmode only activates to prevent the user from taking void damage, and could be replaced with a command turning the border on and off again. I checked and there is no other way to run worldedit commands automatically other than to give players perms. The permissions are only applied for the bar minimum necessary time, so as long as the one specified player does not use cheats to type commands extremely quickly, it would be practically impossible to run even one of these commands.

If you want, I can write a system that uses armor stands, but it will be laggier and probably easier to break.
So as the underwater base has been around for a few events and players are starting to learn how to handle the hardest section of it, the Hallway of Death, I've realized the time has come to add an even harder section.

When you enter the base and, on the bottom, go down the glass tunnel, near the end you'll now find a tunnel into the ocean floor, leading to a stairway even further down. In this area I plan to build a massive boss room, about 50 blocks long by 50 across, and about 20 blocks down. Several traps will be planned for this area, including a parkour stage with arrow trips, a smack wall, and maybe even a levitation challenge with a shulker if we can figure out a way to set this up. All of this will be over a floor of lava, and I'll try to add an array of new and challenging mobs to this section, with more hidden loot.

Firs things first, a small request. Would we be able to get someone with access to worldedit to clear out a 50x50x20-ish area down in the area described? That would take a very long time to clear out by hand, even with tnt.

Now the question of loot. The Hallway of Death is already home to some valuable loot, including totems of undying, potions, tipped arrow, enchantments. This would mean that the new area would have to have either the same type of loot as the HoD, or we'd need to come up with even better stuff. I'm open to suggestions of what to put in there, or even offers. (On a related note, is there a way to create, using commands, a placeable TNT block that, when primed and detonated, has increased payload? So like we can put some of those in this new area, and if you make it down there, you get more powerful tnt)?

We also need a name for this new area. Obviously, the Hallway of Death is taken Smile
ACagliano wrote:
(On a related note, is there a way to create, using commands, a placeable TNT block that, when primed and detonated, has increased payload? So like we can put some of those in this new area, and if you make it down there, you get more powerful tnt)?

I think this would be possible.
Creepers can be set to explode with any explosion power between 0 and 127, so if you replaced the TNT with a creeper with set power at the last possible moment, you could cause a larger explosion. If you believe that the signed 8-bit integer limit is still too small, ghast fireballs' explosion power is stored as a 16-bit integer, however they only detonate on collision with a block. You could probably get around this by using /execute and /setblock to place glass or dirt inside the fireball.
The only issue is, it is hard to tell the difference between a regular TNT block and a high powered one. You could use a creeper spawn egg that is set to explode after a delay instead of a TNT block:

Code:
/give @p spawn_egg 1 0 {EntityTag:{id:"minecraft:creeper",Fuse:(# of ticks),ignited:1,ExplosionRadius:(power)}}

By default, TNT has a power of 4. There are 20 ticks in a second (assuming no TPS lag).

You couldn't do the same for a ghast fireball, as the spawn egg is grey and doesn't work. However, you could probably do something fancy with a spawn egg and scoreboard tags to summon such a fireball and use commands to place a block inside it after a period of time.
I don't have time to write such a command tonight, but I might be able to work on it tommorrow.
Ok cool. Also, I was toying with the idea of creating an AI controlled ship and backing that up as well, for times when we only get like a few players participating in the event. That way all players play together and the AI tries to defend. In this case, a few vindicator spawners in and around the AI's warp core would likely be the "crew" of that ship.
Oh, weren't we considering making a town in the Star Trek world, to let us use the PVP plugin in that world? If so, we might be able to use that to protect any command blocks used, like for pasting in new ships, or a ship and an AI. You set some plots up for sale, I claim them and set off all perms, and you let stone buttons activate the commands. Towny will stop anyone but an admin or myself from pressing the buttons.

In addition, I want to do (after I have a chat with comic about it) a major redesign of the ships. I would like to make them about twice the size, with a thicker hull (with tnt in the walls at some locations). More compartments and rooms, and a trip-wire based security system that can alert you when a player gets to the core area. I would also like to place more TNT cannons, and maybe even use an aimable design.
ACagliano wrote:
In addition, I want to do (after I have a chat with comic about it) a major redesign of the ships. I would like to make them about twice the size, with a thicker hull (with tnt in the walls at some locations). More compartments and rooms, and a trip-wire based security system that can alert you when a player gets to the core area. I would also like to place more TNT cannons, and maybe even use an aimable design.

That sounds really cool! When I have time to sit down and chat with you about it I'd love to learn more. Go ahead and send me all the details you have in mind so we can hit the ground running. Smile
I sent you a fb message. There's also a message in discord that drops some details I have in mind. But first, let me ask if we can do a few things in world:

a) Expand the existing world border. Can we possibly double the existing size? This might be needed to accomodate larger ships.

b) Set the world's respawn point to the same place the portal dumps you in world (without changing the normal spawn).

c) Townify the area, which would serve two purposes. First, it would allow ArenaHelper (and thus KeepInventory) to be on inside the event world. Second, it would allow you to set up command blocks to automate regenning the ships in certain ways, such as ship v. ship or ship v. Borg cube, within certain plots, set the plots to an embassy that I could claim, use stone buttons to activate the command block chains, and that would essentially only allow me and admins to use those command blocks.

d) Would I be allowed to use creative in this world to do the below stuff??

As far as my plans with new ships, the meat of it is make new ships with the following changes:

1. Increase the size of the ships to about twice the length and 150% the width of the former ones. I want to elongate the saucer section so it more resembles the Enterprise-D. Having a larger ship with more areas to travel would make it harder to get to the warp core, harder to PVP, and harder to disable a ship. This would expand game play time.

2. Thicken the hulls, allowing ships to withstand bombardment better, but also have TNT scattered in the hull, so sometimes lucky shots will cause additional damage.

3. Enlarge the warp cores. Rather than a 5x5 TNT cube, I would create a cylindrical TNT core has a radius of about 4 or 5 blocks and is very tall. This would make a more epic explosion.

4. Place the bridge on top of the saucer, as in the Enterprise-D design, rather than its current location at the front of the ship. This would put the crew farther away from the cannons, so no explosion damage... and give us more room for weapons.

5. Create two aimable and range-controllable cannons. Basically to create an aimable TNT cannon, you create a system that dispenses uneven amounts of TNT as a propellant. Using a set of piston monostables inserting blocks into the circuits for two dispensers, you can create varying-length pulse extenders. This can be used to aim left, right, or straight. Then, using another system of adding pulse extenders, you can add even more propellant TNT, which will cause the cannon to fire farther and faster. Each of these cannons would have control rooms under the bridge, and a way to manually fire.

6. Create 3 of the basic TNT cannons that I already use, as a fallback. These would be at the front of the saucer.

7. Create a tripwire system around the warp core that can alert the bridge when someone is in the warp core area.

8. (I'll only do this if i can do it easily, as its mainly just for effect), but create a piston flip flop with clear and red glass. Under normal state, the clear glass is in front of lighting. But when the section is damaged, redstone activates, toggling the glass to red, creating the "Condition: Red" red light effect when the ship takes significant damage.

Yea, I have some pretty intense ideas :p
Some screenshots from the ship redesign: I'll update this post as progress continues:

Current exterior design.

Rear view.

The bridge.

A few images of the "crew quarters", two level underneath the bridge.

Weapons bay.

The new room where the portal from the world spawn should take you in each ship. Transporter room.

New warp core.

[img]https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21463195_10214066767087396_7887425116743353813_n.jpg?oh=70ce4fdeb1e0b711e25de7627d0c177d&oe=5A50365A/img]
View of bottom of core, with activator.

The spawn platform for the Star Trek world. These chests are "lockers" where players can store match related equipment long term. This is an attempt to combat long wait times while players prepare. There is a signshop in the world to buy a sign to mark your chest. While nothing stops you from bringing your own sign, buying the sign will help cover some of the costs of supplying this event.

The starting equipment for this event. For every event, players will now start with this armor. They can upgrade by finding iron ingots, diamonds, or armor pieces in the underwater section.

Progress
- Top section of saucer and the bridge is complete.
- Two decks worth of "crew quarters" under the bridge is complete.
- Left and central torpedo bays complete. Levers in the weapons bay can activate/deactivate specific cannons, which can be fired both from the weapons bay and the bridge. Used a slightly older cannon design that uses anywhere from 2 to 10 TNT (a may of 10 dispensers) per shot (not including the projectiles). Each cannon can also shoot up to 2 rounds per fire. These cannons shoot INCREDIBLY far (screenshots posted).
- Engineering (bottom) section of ship exterior complete (mostly).
- Back of ship, nacelles done.
- Warp core created, with activator trigger.
- 3 layers of protection on the core completed. One arrow/potion hallway and two item filter locked doors.

Now we just need comic to copy the ship higher, duplicate and rotate it and paste it in a little bit closer to the ship than the old one currently is (and line it up nicely with the spawn platform).
Is this based on NCC-1701D? It sorta looks like it is
Pieman7373 wrote:
Is this based on NCC-1701D? It sorta looks like it is

If you're referring to the Enterprise D, yea.
While the Star Trek world is "closed for renovations" i decided now would be a good time to start creating the Borg cube for AI mode in the event. This project will be fairly simple... just a bunch of cannons wired up to a redstone randomizer, with a hopper clock controlling the firing rate. Afterwards, alongside a button/CB to set up for a ship V. cube event, We could have a set of buttons/CB's to place different amounts of items into the hopper clock, thus making the cube fire either slower or faster.

To help speed this up, could either Kerm, comic, or tifreak (at their convenience) please do the following w/ Worldedit:

1. Fill top and bottom, of the existing cube frame (across from the new ships, next to the busted old one) with polished andesite.

2. Place a wall of iron blocks on each side and top and bottom, inside and outside the andesite wall.

3. Place a wall of nether bricks on each side and top and bottom, outside the andesite wall.

4. Place a wall of coal blocks on each side, top and bottom, outside the nether brick wall.

This should result in a 4-thick wall. After that, I can get the cube ready for backup by the end of the day.
Done! But it's actually 6 blocks thick. I realized I didn't do the tops and bottoms with the same layers, I just did the one layer of polished andesite. I just followed the blocks you had placed around the edges. I'll head back and do the top and bottom in a bit.
Awesome. I also had a few ideas I wanted to ask you if we could do in some way.

For the Borg Cube:

1. As it stands the main objective of the Cube matches is to battle a randomly firing AI, get onto the Cube somehow, and breach it's core before your core is breached and your crew killed. I'm designing the Cube with no way in except for using holes you blasted in it with cannonfire. It would enhance the difficulty of this challenge if the cube's hull, or perhaps specific layers of it regenerated, slowly, a few blocks at a time.

2. I had the idea to use an assortment of skeleton and wither skeleton spawners inside the cube as it's crew. The interior of the cube would be structured with a mess of hallways on its perimeter and rail-less walkways to the core in the center. The wither skele's would spawn in the halls, and skeletons in the center to try to shoot you off the walkways.

3. A way to have a few low probability that a TNT the Cube launched at your ship would morph into either a skeleton or wither skeleton spawner, rather than detonate, upon detonation. Combined with towny protection against breaking blocks, the player-controlled ship would eventually be overrun, as spawners could not be broken.

4. I plan to use a hopper clock to control the firing rate of the Cube. When the match begins, could a command block perhaps be used to select the difficulty. The difficulty would happen by the CB adding a certain number of items to one of the hoppers, the higher the number of items, the lower the difficulty. The default state for the hoppers would be empty. The difficulty selector would then have to immediately teleport the activating player to the bridge of the player ship, because the act of adding items to the hoppers would essentially activate the Cube.

For the player ships:

1. Could we perhaps create some sort of a system that has saved the number of iron blocks in a ship, and when a TNT detonates, updates a Scoreboard with the "Structural Integrity" for that ship, as a % of total iron blocks undestroyed.

2. The player ship is ready to be cloned and rotated.

Other miscellaneous stuff:

1. In the new, large area you deleted in the underwater section, I divided it into 4 quadrants, each with a different biome. There's nether, jungle, water, and end. Within each biome is a random item, only one of which is the key to the "vault" which would hold strong gear and (if possible) higher powered TNT). First off...mobs. Could you place: a blaze spawner into the nether quadrant, a (not sure) spawner into the jungle quadrant, a guardian spawner into the ocean quadrant, and a shulker spawner into the end quadrant. Also, do you have any objections to the Void being exposed in the end quadrant?

2. In order to allow myself to build in the ocean section (the townified plot), I asked tifreak to try doing /plot set perm on. It worked. Now that the underwater section is complete, we can undo that. The plot in question is the plot that is NOT the embassy, but the one next to it.

3. Also, last but not least, some ideas as far as automated pasting in of structures. We know command blocks rebel against large worldedits, so we were going to copy each structure in vertical slices. This might break redstone, as some blocks that components are on might not be in place yet. For this reason, I suggest, if possible, that at the end of the command chain that copies the entire build, another pass over the build is done, but this time, copying only redstone things, including hoppers, droppers, and dispensers. This ensures that any positionally broken redstone gets fixed in the second pass. The good news is that there is no limit to the number of embassies a player can own within a town, so I can own enough embassies to control and protect the entire event "control room", so to speak (regardless of how big it ends up being), so that only myself and those who can bypass towny can use it.

4. On the topic of a control room, the setup chains we'd so far need are:
- Set up for ship v. ship,
- Set up for ship v. Cube,
- Select difficulty, Cube match (and start game, and send activator to ship),
- ???? Do we also want to have a ship v. Old ship match type???
Other command chains we'd need, if you want to implement them are:
- Cube hull regeneration
- Cube TNT randomly becoming enemy spawners.
- Hull Integrity on any player-controlled ship.
Regarding 1.1, 1.3, and 1.4: you're giving me way too much credit. I don't know if any of that is possible, and if it is, what it would take to implement it.

2.1: I have no idea how scoreboards work.

3.1: I don't have any objections. I won't add any end/void blocks because that didn't work very well last time. Granted, this would be a smaller area but I still don't want to cause any unnecessary lag.
3.3: Possibly, but again. I have no idea what's involved in this.

Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours