Alex wrote:
With the condition that eggs be disallowed from the arena, sure. That's one tactic I've seen in the mansion raids where players bring stacks and stacks of eggs to quickly defeat the mobs which, in turn, also circumvents the difficulty factor (as most mobs are on a 100% catch rate).

Yea. I'd say that bringing eggs to capture mobs from the arena would incur a player a penalty same as if they cheated in the combat portion of the match, in game (the typical penalty for breaking a game rule in this event is losing a "win"). Could also warrant them some other sort of punishment for rule violations if you're stating you don't want it done.

I was also considering removing the ship to ship transporter portals, and allowing the use of ender pearls instead.
Oh, Ender Pearls could be a good idea. Did you want the portals going from the ships to the ground? And consequently ground to the ships?
I think if we do ender pearls, we could eliminate ship to ship transport. We still need spawn platform to ship. I put in doors on the bottom level of the ship, allowing players to jump into the ocean. Since we're using the ocean as part of the game, you could remove the stone floor separating the ocean from the ocean.

Between you and me, I'm at a total loss as to how to start with this dang underwater base.

Also, a few other things I still want to explore:
1. A non-material method of blast shielding.
2. If we can figure out command-block ship regen, if possible, a command block backup switch, so if i make a major change to the ships I can back them up.
3. Townifying the arena area. Commandblockguy suggested you can create an output in there??
I wasn't suggesting keeping ship to shit, just providing users a way back to the ship once they're down below, and also a teleport to the bunkers underneath.

Well, for the underwater stuff we can do one of two things. I can remove all the water in the region and you can build. Then, when it's done we can stuff the bunkers with wool or something and then replace all air blocks with water and then do a second pass replacing wool with air. Or, we can do the same thing except put a replace the top level air blocks with water and let it flow downward to the ocean floor.

Quote:
Commandblockguy suggested you can create an output in there?

*Outposts, but yes. I'm not sure what the cost is though.

Quote:
If we can figure out command-block ship regen, if possible, a command block backup switch,

It's something I'm hesitant to do. Mostly because commands run via command blocks can't be undone. Which isn't the end of the world if you're copying over destroyed ships. But if I were to manually paste in the pristine ships, and someone wanted to go back after a match and get something they had put in a chest, I can undo that paste so the player can retrieve the chest contents. Whereas with the command block it'd be gone forever. (And we wouldn't reimburse the player for it because at that point it's not an admin error or anything). But we can certainly give this command a try.

Quote:
A non-material method of blast shielding.

You're probably going to have the hardest luck here. I think with the proximity of the ships it's going to be hard to effectively react to incoming TNT in time. Also, when I hear non-material I think of command blocks. Which don't keep their commands when copied. So, these stations would need to be outside the area the ships are pasted in.

Secondly, what do you do if a player cries foul? That they raised the shield but TNT still got through? Depending on TPS the command blocks may lag behind or the TNT may seem to be blocked by the shield but then continue through. I'm sure we've all experienced block lag, where we're mining and the block we just mined returns and we have to mine it again.

Keep in mind, I'll probably just copy the underground ocean and bunkers as part of the ships. So when we reset the level the underground portion is reset at the same time. This would prevent you from having to go around and refill the stuff yourself, unless you want to do that. Just be careful that the players don't watch where you go when in the water.
Alex wrote:

I wasn't suggesting keeping ship to a, just providing users a way back to the ship once they're down below, and also a teleport to the bunkers underneath.

Ah ok. Maybe I misunderstood. The current teleports we need are spawn platform to ship, ship to bunker, bunker to ship.

Alex wrote:

Well, for the underwater stuff we can do one of two things. I can remove all the water in the region and you can build. Then, when it's done we can stuff the bunkers with wool or something and then replace all air blocks with water and then do a second pass replacing wool with air. Or, we can do the same thing except put a replace the top level air blocks with water and let it flow downward to the ocean floor.

Actually I'm not having too much difficulty building with the water there. The main hurdle is coming up with a fitting design that looks like something you'd find on a futuristic water planet, gathering the materials, and getting them all down there.

Alex wrote:

It's something I'm hesitant to do. Mostly because commands run via command blocks can't be undone. Which isn't the end of the world if you're copying over destroyed ships. But if I were to manually paste in the pristine ships, and someone wanted to go back after a match and get something they had put in a chest, I can undo that paste so the player can retrieve the chest contents. Whereas with the command block it'd be gone forever. (And we wouldn't reimburse the player for it because at that point it's not an admin error or anything).

True. My main use for this is if I, say, add a floor to the ships or change the lock mechanic on the warp core (which I did), I can hit a button and save that change. Though I do understand why that might cause accidental screw ups. I'll just have to poke you when I do change something worthy of being saved.

Alex wrote:

I think with the proximity of the ships it's going to be hard to effectively react to incoming TNT in time. Also, when I hear non-material I think of command blocks. Which don't keep their commands when copied. So, these stations would need to be outside the area the ships are pasted in.

Secondly, what do you do if a player cries foul? That they raised the shield but TNT still got through? Depending on TPS the command blocks may lag behind or the TNT may seem to be blocked by the shield but then continue through. I'm sure we've all experienced block lag, where we're mining and the block we just mined returns and we have to mine it again.

Yeah, my thought was command blocks (probably positioned away from the ship [can one be activated remotely?]) wherein a player pushes a button, and the CB spawns a glass cage (without overwriting any existing blocks) around a primed TNT closest to the activating player, allowing the TNT to explode within, away from the ship, or minimizing the damage. I figured CB magic involving despawning the TNT would be more susceptible to TPS lag issues than generating blocks. This way, if we discover that the TNT isnt being captured early enough, we can make the glass cage bigger.
Obviously this is just one way to do it, and its gonna be a bit difficult. I'm also open to other options, but glass around the ships is causing misfires and hung TNT self-destructing, so that's not too good a solution.
/sudo @p can be used in command blocks to run commands that can't be run normally. This still limits you to commands with absolute positions, however.
First have the original copy, then make a command block to clone it where you want. Then find the coords whatever command block things that require coords for, and then clone the clone to the original. Let me know if you need clarification
That's exactly what we're talking about doing.

ACagliano wrote:
Yeah, my thought was command blocks (probably positioned away from the ship [can one be activated remotely?]) wherein a player pushes a button, and the CB spawns a glass cage (without overwriting any existing blocks) around a primed TNT closest to the activating player,

The problem here is probably going to be capturing that TNT in time. Those things moved pretty fast when I saw them.

Quote:
I'm also open to other options, but glass around the ships is causing misfires and hung TNT self-destructing, so that's not too good a solution.

That's similar to Star Trek, no? You can't fire torpedo's and stuff (phasers work though I think) with the shields up. If I recall correctly at least.
Alex wrote:

Quote:
I'm also open to other options, but glass around the ships is causing misfires and hung TNT self-destructing, so that's not too good a solution.

That's similar to Star Trek, no? You can't fire torpedo's and stuff (phasers work though I think) with the shields up. If I recall correctly at least.

Nah in Star Trek what would happen is the weapons would impact your own shield but the shields have a certain frequency and the weapons, when set to that frequency are able to bypass them, allowing you to fire from your ship, through your shields, at your opponent. But as evidenced when the Borg and that one Klingon warbird gain the Enterprise's shield frequency, they can fire through their shields as though they werent up.

Obviously we can't make things that complicated..... or can we????
Could we place a remote command block, triggerable from on the ship, that when a lever is flicked, a glass bubble surrounds the ship, and when the lever is turned off, the glass bubble is removed. Players just cant fire while the shields are up :p
If we do that, maybe we can have a message in chat, or on the bridge on a sign indicating what % of the glass bubble is undamaged.
ACagliano wrote:
Obviously we can't make things that complicated..... or can we????
Could we place a remote command block, triggerable from on the ship, that when a lever is flicked, a glass bubble surrounds the ship, and when the lever is turned off, the glass bubble is removed. Players just cant fire while the shields are up :p
If we do that, maybe we can have a message in chat, or on the bridge on a sign indicating what % of the glass bubble is undamaged.

I'd rather not do something that complicated. Even if it were possible. Haha.

For that remote command block, how do you propose to trigger it? You mention a lever but how do you expect that lever to communicate with command block? Theoretically you could have a redstone circuit from the ship to that remote command block but we don't have any one of remotely triggering command blocks via wireless signals on the server.

But I think you should focus on getting the game playable, you're doing a lot of work for something that's going to be a few rounds at most? Don't let your ambitions become greater than your ability to implement them. You should really try and do as much as you can without command blocks. Copying the ships via the command blocks is one thing, but gameplay mechanics should probably be all dependent on the player.
I came up with a better idea. I believe that iron might be slightly more blast resistant than stone varieties (am i correct?). If this is the case, we can change the stone on the top part of the ship to iron blocks so it withstands bombardment better.
Edit: Looked in the wiki... iron blocks and stone both have a blast resistance of 30, so scratch this. ^^

Also, to solve the problem of weapons getting smashed after one or two shots, I might try to create an encasement of the weapons that, on a timer, opens a hatch when cannons fire, through which the TNT fires. Before I start on this, tho, I do need the ships regenned from Saturday's match.
Edit: Still plan to do this ^
As of this post the damaged ships are replaced with the pristine ships that were last backed up.
I wrote a command block that uses worldedit commands to copy things on my testing server.
It would need to be adapted for the actual coordinates and such. This assumes that you want an offset of -10 on the Z axis; you can change this to the X axis by moving the number to after the first tilde instead. It also assumes you use PEX for permissions; if you use a different permissions manager you will have to replace the /pex commands with the correct commands for the permissions plugin of choice. Obviously, you will need to replace the coordinates with the correct ones. Less obviously, only the person with the name in the command block should push the button; if the person with the name used is in another world it could tear that world up. I recommend region protecting the input so that only Cags (who I assume is who would be put in the command blocks) can access it and repeaters so that only admins can touch, if possible.

Code:
[Input]
pex user commandblockguy add worldedit.selection.pos
pex user commandblockguy add worldedit.clipboard.copy
[1-tick Delay]
sudo commandblockguy /pos1 141,79,248
sudo commandblockguy /pos2 137,85,244
sudo commandblockguy /copy
[1-tick Delay]
god commandblockguy
tp commandblockguy ~ ~1 ~-10
pex user commandblockguy remove worldedit.selection.pos
pex user commandblockguy add worldedit.clipboard.paste
pex user commandblockguy remove worldedit.clipboard.copy
[1-tick Delay]
sudo commandblockguy /paste
[1-tick Delay]
tp commandblockguy ~ ~-1 ~10
god commandblockguy
pex user commandblockguy remove worldedit.clipboard.paste

Now, some of these commands might look dangerous, but they are only applied for about 2 ticks before being removed again. The only issue might come if the server crashed mid-teleport and the godmode persisted after the restart, which could only be fixed by an admin or if the exact same thing somehow happened again. The godmode is necessary in case the player is teleported into the world border or lava for the one tick, if they happened to be standing in the correct spot. The ~1 and ~-1 are to correct for gravity; if you were to also turn flight on, or add another platform (offset) blocks away from the button, this would not be needed. However, flight seems unnecessary, so I decided not to include it.
EDIT: left out the actual //paste, whoops!
Hm, I like the flow of that. I assume each line is a new command block? I'm not really sure why God mode would be required but it is eventually removed. The problem is that the //copy command is relative to where the user is when the region is copied. So we'll have to TP the player to an area (I have a bedrock block between both ships so I get it the same every time) then teleport them to the area we want to paste the region to )another bedrock block between the ships) and paste it. The player isn't in the way of any blocks and thus shouldn't require God mode.

I'm not sure our group plugin supports adding permissions on a per-player basis but it's something to check out. I suspect the armor stand could be a better, and safer, way to go about this though.
You could also use functions...
xMarminq_ wrote:
You could also use functions...

We could not use functions because we need a delay in between certain commands.
Quote:
The problem is that the //copy command is relative to where the user is when the region is copied. So we'll have to TP the player to an area (I have a bedrock block between both ships so I get it the same every time) then teleport them to the area we want to paste the region to )another bedrock block between the ships) and paste it.

That's what the TP commands are for. I used the tilde notation so that it returns the player to the original position, but if you wanted to change the teleport to specific locations, you could by replacing the tildes and values with coordinates.
Quote:
The godmode is necessary in case the player is teleported into the world border or lava for the one tick, if they happened to be standing in the correct spot.

Also note that I forgot a command (the actual paste bit). Whoops. I'll edit it in now.
So in an attempt to counterbalance the fact that, in recent matches, the cannons get almost instantly broken by TNT fire, I armored the cannons a bit. Stand by for screenshots:

Side view

Front view

I also made the warp drive security lock a bit more manageable.

@comicIDIOT: needless to say, we'll need to resave the ships with the changes I've made. Hopefully this will be the last set of revisions for a while.
Copied them over. I verified that the dispensers were all facing the correct way as well. Even got it on video just in case. haha.
ACagliano wrote:
So in an attempt to counterbalance the fact that, in recent matches, the cannons get almost instantly broken by TNT fire, I armored the cannons a bit. Stand by for screenshots:

Side view

Front view

I also made the warp drive security lock a bit more manageable.

@comicIDIOT: needless to say, we'll need to resave the ships with the changes I've made. Hopefully this will be the last set of revisions for a while.

Try F1 when doing screenshots Razz
Yesterday's match went off somewhat more organized than the prior ones.
Match video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGrh8fe9ylQ

Me and LittleMoonBeam on the blue team were against commandblockguy, Michael2_3B, and WhosAdam on the red team. While the blue ship took significantly less damage (red had it's cannons busted while blue could still fire), red won the match by destroying blue's core and killing its crew.

This match showed that ender pearls are very effective as a ship to ship transport device, so we no longer need ship to ship transport. What we do need is:
1. Ship back to spawn platform transport
2. Underwater base to spawn platform transport.
3. Spawn platform to viewing area transport (can we build one?)

In other news I've almost got the underwater area finished. Here are some images of that.

Second floor of the main room (can we get skeletons spawning in here?)

One of the loot rooms (can we get a fairly hard-hitting mob spawning in here, like vindicators?)

A long hall leading to a valuables room (can we get vexes spawning in here?)

Can we also have one or two guardian spawners in the water outside this place?

Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours