Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Instead of a shield, just don't fire the tnt!
An alternative to the Dropper-shield idea I proposed above:

- Have a button linked to a command block and a dispenser filled with redstone (?). When TNT is incoming, a player may press the button.
- The command block looks around for a primed TNT entity, and spawns a 3-radius wall of glass in its path. In a few seconds, the glass wall despawns. A quantity of redstone is removed from the dispenser equal to the amount of glass used.
- This can be repeated to block TNT, until the dispenser runs out of redstone.
Command blocks don't really do "paths" or work well with containers. The command block could kill all nearby TNT infrequently to add a random element, and use a comparator output connected to a monostable and a hopper. The shield could shut off when a comparator output gets to 0. If you wanted to make the shield have a lower chance of triggering, you could subtract the container comparator output from 15 and make a comparator fade clock, by taking the output from a comparator fade delay circuit, boosting it to full signal, then feeding it in to an input comparator to allow the clock to fade. That way, you can have a variable-duration clock that depends on input power level.
I'm going to forgo that shield style after comic mentioned yesterday that WorldEdit does not preserve commands in command blocks, and I'm trying to spare admins/mods having to constantly be bothered to fix things. So I decided I'm going to do something simpler. Players can bring light blue glass blocks and place it on top of their ship as a layer of shielding during the bit of prep time before the match. I also put blue glass blocks for sale on the spawn platform, as well as TNT.

@comicIDIOT: Once i remove the chests left in the back room on each ship, both ships will be ready for final copy. Here is a full list of what is left to do:

To Do List wrote:

1. Remove obsidian wall
2. Final copy on ships
3. Build a little viewing platform and either make a portal in the water to get to it, or a way up.
4. Button on spawn platform (near the shop chests and crafting bench) to copy a fresh ship to the map.
5. If you want, another button on spawn platform to save the in-game ships to the backup area (in case we make a major change to the ships).
6. Check Keep Inventory world-by-world.


Once this is done we are ready to have our first test match. I'll post rules soon.
Could the command block be excluded so it won't be overwritten?
If not, you could add a command block outside the region that uses /blockdata x y z {Command:"command"} to regenerate command blocks
On problem, The command blocks can only copy 32,768 blocks at a time. I'm copying 271,150 for each ship. When I tried it the first time I did the whole thing and got like 500k blocks. Got the message and thought I had to keep it under 300k. I just didn't read close enough. Sadly, that count includes air blocks.

I'm gunna need to do some math to copy chunk by chunk or figure out another method of copy and paste. I'm sure if you let me know in advance I can make time to be online and manually copy and paste the ships.

I blew up part of one ship just so I can help me visually identify if the command worked and stuff. So, when you hop on and see that damage, that was me. I didn't do it in any key areas but it's gunna get overwritten when I test the command blocks anyways.
I had an idea but it might not be possible with command blocks...

Can you make a block that loops over every block in the two areas, checks the matching block. If there should be one and there isn't, copy. That would be one block at a time. Alternatively, you could just create a box with a ton of command blocks, to do the copy in sections.
ACagliano wrote:
Can you make a block that loops over every block in the two areas, checks the matching block. If there should be one and there isn't, copy. That would be one block at a time.


That's beyond the scope of my knowledge, sadly. I'm just Googling how I can do it with command blocks. haha

Quote:
Alternatively, you could just create a box with a ton of command blocks, to do the copy in sections.


That's what I'm thinking I just fear I'll mess something up somewhere. So I need a way to know which command block does what part of the ship. So if a section is one block up from the rest I can determine which command block did that section.

I feel like I can do each ship in 8 or less command blocks if I keep identical tolerances to what I have now - and right now I've got a lot of blank space around each ship - but I suspect I can fit the copy commands for each ship in 3 blocks.

The soonest I can do this is tomorrow or so.
Take your time. We can do the regen manually for now until you get that figured out.
Do you have an existing copy of the completed ships somewhere?
They've been placed outside of the border for some time, I surprised you haven't seen them Smile
They are current as of yesterday, I replaced the old copy with the updated versions prior to doing the command block stuff.
I once made a command block contraption that converts a huge area (>500,000 blocks) by working in slices. It uses the tilde relative coordinates with an armor stand that is teleported in the positive X direction one block at a time. If you wanted to copy slices across the X axis, here are the commands:
In repeating command block set to always active:

Code:
/tp @e[type=armor_stand,name=Tracker,r=(x-size of structure plus distance from command block to armor stand starting position)] ~1 ~ ~
/execute @e[type=armor_stand,name=Tracker] clone ~(offset of armor stand min. x to structure being copied min. x) (min y) (min z) ~(same value) (max y) (max z)  ~(offset of armor stand min. x to paste location min. x) (min y of paste) (min z of paste)

In a non-repeating command block (this is the button you press to reset):

Code:
/tp @e[type=armor_stand,name=Tracker] (starting position)
Ok sounds good. One small request before I do the first match, maybe tomorrow. Can we get the destroy flag turned off for players in this world (except for players who are on the build team). Better yet, would that be something I can toggle myself using a command block or something so I can let people help build, but stop them destroying during matches? I'm gonna keep build on.

Also are we able to set keep inventory on in that world?
If world region flags can be changed via command block then it can be doable. The way I do it is define a region then to set flags in that region is:

/region SpaceRegion flags build deny or whatever the proper syntax is. I don't see why a command block couldn't do that.

The command to copy large things makes no sense to me. The command I was using was something like /clone x1 z1 y1 x2 z2 y2 x3 z3 y3 replace normal normal where 1 & 2 are the bounds of the region being copied and 3 is the lower right corner of the destination area.

I've done my best to line up the duplicate ships with the active ships so, if I eventually understand the command it sounds like it should be easy since blocks should just be ~100 blocks to the left rather than 5 blocks higher, 4 blocks forward and then 100 blocks left.
Last night's video: https://youtu.be/GA7NnGn6kbE

So if there is something last night's match told me, it's this:

1) We need a better set of rules. We had one player (I won't name names) board the enemy ship, place tnt outside the warp core in a trail leading to a lever, and then activate the lever to blast the core. I kind of think this is a bit cheap. Going forward, players will be forbidden from placing anything that isn't a redstone source within an enemy ship. I also noticed the red team constantly blocking off its transporters with glass, even after it being announced in chat to please not do this.

2) We do need a shield system that isn't glass (@Alex). It would be nice if we could implement something that uses a command block and can be interacted with in a manner similar to what I've suggested further up in the thread. commandblockguy seems to imply that a command block can be set using the /setblock command, which could be activated on the same chain of command blocks that would regenerate the ships and replace the end crystals.
Edit: This topic talks about setting command block commands with /setblock: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/148668/how-to-set-a-command-block-with-a-command-inside-using-the-setblock-command

To those who do not know, I have set up a web page for this pvp series. It is located at http://caglianotechdesigns.com/mcpvp/startrek.php. To use this page properly, you'll need JavaScript enabled. This page will have some help information, event rules, images, videos, and the schedule.

The next event will be Saturday, at roughly 12 or 12:30 PM.


PS: @Alex: If possible, can we create a town within the Star Trek world, call it like Star Trek event or something, eliminate its upkeep, and set all its plots to arena. Allowing us to use ArenaHelper within it.

PSS: I noticed in the last replace of the ships that the dispensers on top of the ships were sometimes facing in the wrong direction. On review of the footage from last night, this was true of the first copy as well, which is why the ships were destroying themselves. Can we double check the ship backups to ensure the backups do not have this issue. On each cannon, all of the lower dispensers should face IN, and the top dispenser should face forward. Thanks.
ACagliano wrote:
1) We need a better set of rules. We had one player (I won't name names) board the enemy ship, place tnt outside the warp core in a trail leading to a lever, and then activate the lever to blast the core. I kind of think this is a bit cheap. Going forward, players will be forbidden from placing anything that isn't a redstone source within an enemy ship. I also noticed the red team constantly blocking off its transporters with glass, even after it being announced in chat to please not do this.


I think the teleporters are a bit OP. In the show, movies and, game the shields need to be down in order to Teleport to or from the ship. There's no easy way to do this in MC. I think it may be a good idea to have some side puzzles.

Have a third teleport in each ship that takes a player to a maze. In order to lower the enemies shield they need to navigate this maze and pull a lever or stand on a pressure plate. idk.

Maybe instead of the shield, there's a portal that takes you to the enemy ship. It'd have to be switched up every match or so, as to prevent players from memorizing the way. Getting back would be a PITA... Then you can set up traps or challenges down below to slow down the maze goers.

Quote:
2) We do need a shield system that isn't glass (@Alex). It would be nice if we could implement something that uses a command block and can be interacted with in a manner similar to what I've suggested further up in the thread. commandblockguy seems to imply that a command block can be set using the /setblock command, which could be activated on the same chain of command blocks that would regenerate the ships and replace the end crystals.
Edit: This topic talks about setting command block commands with /setblock: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/148668/how-to-set-a-command-block-with-a-command-inside-using-the-setblock-command

PSS: I noticed in the last replace of the ships that the dispensers on top of the ships were sometimes facing in the wrong direction. On review of the footage from last night, this was true of the first copy as well, which is why the ships were destroying themselves. Can we double check the ship backups to ensure the backups do not have this issue. On each cannon, all of the lower dispensers should face IN, and the top dispenser should face forward. Thanks.


I think you're using me as a crutch more than anything. I don't mind copying the ships but placing TNT in every dispenser, ensuring the dispensers are facing the right way (assuming dispensers have an issue when copying, as these ships were copied and pasted directly from a source that was confirmed working. Even with the water turning to stone. It's not my responsibility to check all that and fix that every round.

Maybe make it part of the lore. Two war-torn enemy ships meet each other in space, they need to repair their ship and destroy the enemy before they themselves are destroyed. Add some lore to it. Maybe the portal takes them to an underground bunker on a nearby planet where they can find TNT to fire and stuff. The matches would probably last a lot longer. Maybe keep 30 blocks of TNT in this bunker, some bows and arrows, etc.

The maze can be part of this bunker, or the maze IS the bunker. The arrows can be used to knock players off the top of the ships as they load the TNT or something.

Quote:
PS: @Alex: If possible, can we create a town within the Star Trek world, call it like Star Trek event or something, eliminate its upkeep, and set all its plots to arena. Allowing us to use ArenaHelper within it.


That sounds doable. I can register a town under my name and give it tons-o-cash. Unless the town needs to be under the player who starts the event?
Alex wrote:

I think the teleporters are a bit OP. In the show, movies and, game the shields need to be down in order to Teleport to or from the ship. There's no easy way to do this in MC. I think it may be a good idea to have some side puzzles.

Have a third teleport in each ship that takes a player to a maze. In order to lower the enemies shield they need to navigate this maze and pull a lever or stand on a pressure plate. idk.

Maybe instead of the shield, there's a portal that takes you to the enemy ship. It'd have to be switched up every match or so, as to prevent players from memorizing the way. Getting back would be a PITA... Then you can set up traps or challenges down below to slow down the maze goers.

That sounds like an interesting idea. I'll certainly design something like that. Maybe instead of having portals going to the enemy ship directly, the transporter leads to a maze, with a path back to your own ship and a path to the enemy ship, with some paths having traps and stuff.
The "shield" is a different issue. I noticed that after like one or two shots, one of both of the ships can't fire back anymore. I kinda wanted to change this to elongate the matches. In Star Trek, equal class ships can fire back and forth for a while before one of the other seriously becomes unable to fight back. Therefore, I did want something to randomly (or based on a counter of sorts) block a TNT explosion.
And, isn't it that you can't use the transporters with either ship's shields up? So as in if yours are up, you can't transport. You also can't if theirs are. Is there a way to disable the transporters if your shields are up, and make the maze harder, or parts of it blocked off if the enemy shields are up? Or base how hard it is on their shield strength?

Alex wrote:

I think you're using me as a crutch more than anything. I don't mind copying the ships but placing TNT in every dispenser, ensuring the dispensers are facing the right way (assuming dispensers have an issue when copying, as these ships were copied and pasted directly from a source that was confirmed working. Even with the water turning to stone. It's not my responsibility to check all that and fix that every round.

I have been fixing that mostly. I'm not asking you to fix it every round. I'm just noticing that since I saw the issue in two re-copies, maybe there might be an issue in the backups. I just want to verify that the dispenser orientation is correct in the backups. If it not, can we correct it. If it is, then it's something I'll just have to fix. I also don't mind fixing the water/stone issue myself, I'm just curious if you know why its happening. Technically water shouldn't have issues copying over?
Also as far as TNT, I'm starting to devote time to getting the materials to make it, but as I wanted to do a test run of this match fairly soon, I hadn't had time to get TNT together. Going forward I hope to be generating enough, or players bringing enough to last.

Alex wrote:
Maybe make it part of the lore. Two war-torn enemy ships meet each other in space, they need to repair their ship and destroy the enemy before they themselves are destroyed. Add some lore to it. Maybe the portal takes them to an underground bunker on a nearby planet where they can find TNT to fire and stuff. The matches would probably last a lot longer. Maybe keep 30 blocks of TNT in this bunker, some bows and arrows, etc.

The maze can be part of this bunker, or the maze IS the bunker. The arrows can be used to knock players off the top of the ships as they load the TNT or something.

That sounds like an awesome idea. At some point, I'll have to head underneath the ocean and get this done. Is this a flat world, or a normal world?

Quote:

That sounds doable. I can register a town under my name and give it tons-o-cash. Unless the town needs to be under the player who starts the event?

That's a question for commandblockguy. To my knowledge, ArenaHelper requires a player starting the event to be in the town starting it. I know at some point he moved away from relying on towny as a pre-req for supporting multi-town events, but I'm not sure if the initial starting of an event still checks if a player is a town member.
ACagliano wrote:
I have been fixing that mostly. I'm not asking you to fix it every round. I'm just noticing that since I saw the issue in two re-copies, maybe there might be an issue in the backups. I just want to verify that the dispenser orientation is correct in the backups. If it not, can we correct it.


They are not correct in the backups, I checked and I guess it got lost in the dialog after the events. Which was sort of my point (quoted below). If the act of copying the ships changes their orientation then that's something the players will need to fix. The problem is that we never tested the ships we copied because we just assumed it'd work without issue (aside from the dispensers being activated upon pasting the copies).

And yeah, water should have no issues. I've successfully copied both water and lava before.

Alex wrote:
assuming dispensers have an issue when copying, as these ships were copied and pasted directly from a source that was confirmed working.
Ok. Well then players will have to do some repair work. No problems with that.
I'm also going to eliminate the low-TNT cutoff. It wastes TNT and creates an unneeded stress on us to fill the lower dispensers to at least 41 TNT in order to use them (this is already done. I've also made a change to the warp core security door).
And I'm going to create bunkers under the sea, to allow players to find resources, redstone, etc.
I'll try to get all or some of this done before tomorrow's match, which will be at roughly 12:30pm EST.
Any progress on restoring via CB's?

Edit: So the bunkers/maze wont be ready by match time. I'll aim to have those done by the next one.
A little bit of a revamp to the theme idea, spurred by a suggestion from comic.

After engaging an enemy ship over an alien world, your ship suffers some damage and is required to enter low atmosphere to make repairs. A quick scan of the ocean below shows an extensive base built along and within the ocean floor. Heat signatures, as well as supplies, are detected within this base and the ocean around it, which hold needed materials to repair and arm your ship. You must drop into the unknown and face whatever dangers lurk below to gather the materials to defeat the opposing ship in combat.

Match format as follows:
- 10 minute period in which you can explore the ocean below to find supplies. PvP Not allowed in this time.
- After 10 minutes you MAY return to your ship to outfit it for battle or continue scavenging the ocean. During this time, player v. player PvP will be allowed.
- After the second 10 minutes (20 minutes after match start), all players must return to their ship for battle.

To help me with creating an atmosphere of danger in the ocean and in the base that i'll build on the sea floor, could we perhaps toss in some guardian spawners in the water around it and some skele/zombie/vindicator spawners within the base?
With the condition that eggs be disallowed from the arena, sure. That's one tactic I've seen in the mansion raids where players bring stacks and stacks of eggs to quickly defeat the mobs which, in turn, also circumvents the difficulty factor (as most mobs are on a 100% catch rate).
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement