HUGE MAJOR EDIT: I will be participating in all events because I am done with both the land and water ones.

I will only be participating in the air event as I will be going on vacation.

I am making a game in BASIC, where you are in charge of an airline, and you have to buy planes, buy access to airports, buy routes between airports, and schedule departures.

There will be 7 planes, each with different features, costs, etc.
There will be 5 airports, A, B, C, D, and E, with 8 routes (meaning you have to plan connections)
You gain currency from flying people, but delays and deterioration over time will occur, and you have to keep people happy, or they won't fly on your airline, making you lose money.

But there's a catch: You have only 3 "months" to get as much money as you can.

Every in-game day, you make decisions on what to do, like buying planes, scheduling departures, and improving customer happiness.

I will try to get screenshots out to you guys soon, but in the coming week(s) I will have extremely limited access to my phone and calculator (due to vacation).
That's a great idea for a game for air. I might use it... actually I am going to use it... because I have no other choice... Very Happy Thanks!!!
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
That's a great idea for a game for air. I might use it... actually I am going to use it... because I have no other choice... Very Happy Thanks!!!

SAX wrote:
[_iPhoenix_] TheGeekyScientist: If my idea inspires you, feel free to change it (and use it) as you see fit!
Hmm, that sounds similar to "Pocket Planes" by Nimblebit.
At one point I wanted to make a port of one of their other games, Pocket Trains, which works similarly, but is slightly harder because of the way tracks can only be used by one type of train. I might attempt to do that for the land category if I can pull it off in 2 weeks.
What is that game, never heard of it.

I'll check it out if I get a chance after I make this a thing. (To avoid unintentional plagiarism of ideas!)

EDIT: Main GUI is done, will post about it later today or tomorrow!

(I circled things of interest)

Red: Happiness meter; indicates the current happiness of your customers.
Orange: Status of your planes. The theta symbol is a placeholder until I get access to my computer to change it to a percent sign. If the status percentage is low (it decreases every flight), you earn less money from it, and your customers get less happy faster.
Yellow: Your map. Green stars and lines indicate airports and routes you have unlocked (respectively), and red ones mean that you still have to unlock them.
Green: Your balance. It indicates your current money (duh)
Blue: Day counter. It counts up to 100, and when 100 days have passed, the game ends (and a high scores table is shown)

I also have an in-game tutorial done, but sleep induced by vacation is taking over.

Edit: Yay sleep!

I have all of the algorithms I will use drawn up on a piece of paper (or two... or eight...)

These include:
-Plane Routing+departure scheduling
-Happiness in relation to profit (1:2 ratio, which I've determined to be "balanced")
-Plane drawing
-User input
-Cost/reward balancing.
Here's a big update:

I made a semi-working land program in about an hour, in C, but it still needs a LOT of polish....
link to YT vid
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Here's a big update:

I made a semi-working land program in about an hour, in C, but it still needs a LOT of polish....
link to YT vid

Wait... the programs don't have to be for calculators? You can make windows programs for these contests??
Yes, it said that it could be made for any platform in any language.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I am making a game in BASIC, where you are in charge of an airline, and you have to buy planes, buy access to airports, buy routes between airports, and schedule departures.

There will be 5 airports, A, B, C, D, and E, with 8 routes (meaning you have to plan connections)
You gain currency from flying people, but delays and deterioration over time will occur, and you have to keep people happy, or they won't fly on your airline, making you lose money.

Every in-game day, you make decisions on what to do, like buying planes, scheduling departures, and improving customer happiness.

I will try to get screenshots out to you guys soon, but in the coming week(s) I will have extremely limited access to my phone and calculator (due to vacation).

so just like pocket planes for ios right?
http://support.nimblebit.com/customer/en/portal/topics/301836-pocket-planes/articles
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-planes-airline-management/id491994942?mt=8
I think you will do really well I even hope you with first prize (for the airlines part)

Also I Would Love to have my music featured in your game...it might not fit in every situation in the game but at least I have some menu music... I will give the link to my sound cloud where you may download it from.
SeeGreatness wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

so just like pocket planes for ios right?
http://support.nimblebit.com/customer/en/portal/topics/301836-pocket-planes/articles
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-planes-airline-management/id491994942?mt=8
I think you will do really well I even hope you with first prize (for the airlines part)

Also I Would Love to have my music featured in your game...it might not fit in every situation in the game but at least I have some menu music... I will give the link to my sound cloud where you may download it from.

1) Pocket planes has already been mentioned Smile I have never heard of it before this contest, but I will certainly check it out after!
2) I really doubt I will win...
3) My calculator cannot play music!
3a) My land entry is written in Native C, and that doesn't support music either.

Trust me, if I could play music on these, I would, your music is really good!
(accidental rhyming)

I tried making ambient music, but it ended up really badly Neutral

EDIT: I finished my land entry, submitted it to the archives, and (thx Unicorn) sent it to the required email!

Edit2: My Sea entry will be finished and uploaded tmro. It is MUCH better then my land entry.

Prepare to be (not) amazed!
Here's a sneak preview of my sea entry:
Here

In the gif, I paused with [clear] or [mode] (i.e. quit) to the pause screen, then pressed [+] to see the help menu.

The gif shows roughly the speed on-calc, (I had to adjust the throttle in CEmu) but in actuality, it is a little faster.

I also showed off some cool features that this program has:
- Fish selection menu (The idea came from this really crappy game that I made when I was just starting out BASIC programming. I actually think most of the ideas for this game subconsciously came from that one, although the internal algorithms are very different.)
- Highscores table
- Pause screen (a vast number of fast-paced BASIC programs lack it, so it was a nice, somewhat unique feature, I think)

The fish selection menu lets you a out your fish by letting you intermix four different styles, which are:
- Parenthesis, ()
- Curly Brackets, {}
- Angle Brackets, represented by the less than and greater than tokens, <>
- Straight Brackets, []

With these options, and 3 different parts of the fish, there are 64 different fish you can create! (yay)

The objective of this game is to collect the fish food, represented by periods (well, they actually are a mark for the plots, but for our intents and purposes they are periods.)
If you miss one, or eat poison (▫), you will lose a life.

If you eat poison (the name is subject to change) [edit: it kinda did, pollutants and poison are now interchangable], you will additionally be deducted 4 points. Similarly, if you miss fish food, you will be deducted a single point.

I don't think there is much more for me to say, besides the fact that I am not done optimizing and the programs (one for gameplay, one for fish selection) are already under 2kb (1833 bytes, to be exact, not counting the lists it uses, all of which are deleted at the end, and the highscores list, which is archived), and I think I can get it down to one kb, give or take a few hundred bytes. [edit: I never got around to this]
Lookin good! I wonder if you had the time to maybe port this to ICE what kind of speed you would get...
Unicorn wrote:
Lookin good! I wonder if you had the time to maybe port this to ICE what kind of speed you would get...

Yeah.
I don't really think it would be necessary, and I already have a pretty decent speed.

My favorite part of this was smoothing out the graphics, it was really slow when I redrew the entire screen, so like about 5-10% of the code is determining which parts need to be erased.

Edit: I thinned the program down, and it's about 100bytes smaller, but that was only 10 min of optimizing!
nonono my music is not comparabe to yours, yours IS better than mine. most of my stuff is reposted idk why soundcloud puts that in my tracks list but if you look to see if it has the reposted sign then it just means i reposted it.

and you WILL win.
SeeGreatness wrote:
nonono my music is not comparabe to yours, yours IS better than mine. most of my stuff is reposted idk why soundcloud puts that in my tracks list but if you look to see if it has the reposted sign then it just means i reposted it.

and you WILL win.

1) Your music is half decent (Mine is literally notes plopped down in a midi editor)
2) Looking at some of the other entries, mine is probably pretty far down the list.

I have no want for the reward, I'd just give it to an IRL friend.
My land entry has been accepted into the archives (Thanks, Kerm!), so here is a link!
Huge Major Progress Update: (for my air entry)

- Departures are now automagically generated, choosing the best possible routes.
- You no longer have to buy routes, the game detects when the respective airports have been bought and are automagically registered.
- You can buy planes and airports.
- You can adjust certain aspects of the company to appease customer happiness. (i.e. increasing leg room will increase customer happiness, but decrease your profits.)
- Each airport now has a certain number of people waiting there. If they wait too long (which would only happen due to delays, departures are automagically scheduled to decrease wait times), they get angry.

I probably did more, but this is all of the major stuff.

I am spending 2-3 hours a day on this project, so I am not afraid of rewriting the entire project to implement a feature. (I've done that no less then six times)

Edit: I will be traveling with my family to see other family which conveniently is 8 hours away. This means I have 16 additional hours to grind on my CC20 projects!
Here's another progress update:

I'm 8000 bytes in, and probably 90% done!

I have reduced the number of programs the file is, from 14 to 3, as they were only there to make development easier, and the entire project has been developed with that fact in mind. (I can reduce the rest down to one, they are in development)

I also made the departures schedule when you decide that you are done buying crap (i.e. airplanes and airports) from the shop.

Also, I am unable to do any more devlopment or work on this program until the 22nd (of August, the day the program is due!!!) so my entry will probably be sent with only a few seconds to spare.

I will be creating a screenie, gif, or YouTube video demonstrating the features of this program and my current progress.

I'm really excited to see what you guys think of this, and w
I really like how this is coming along, Phoenix. Keep up the good work! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours