So... i just got a Ti-89 Titanium, and i am going to try and do things in basic on it, but 68k basic is scary, so i will be asking lots of questions
Also, im not a very good programmer, so i might not even be able to learn it
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you'll create on it. Smile Do you have any ideas for programs thus far?
Caleb_J wrote:
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you'll create on it. Smile Do you have any ideas for programs thus far?

Lol, not really, i am struggling to even create a new program XD
I've never used a TI-89, and I know you could find this easily yourself, but here is some stuff that comes up when you search it:
http://tibasic.wikia.com/wiki/TI-Basic_89_Programming
Yeah, ive been looking on there already :3 Thanks Very Happy
Okay, a found a youtube channel that seems to do a lot of programming on the TI-89:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ti89com/videos
Ooh, I have a TI 89 Titanium too! I'm trying to learn 68k Basic as well (mainly because I want to work on the 68k Basic Starter Kit on the TIBD). Can't wait to see what you come up with too! Very Happy
That is awesome Pieman. I wish I was a rich as you Razz

How is Axe going Battlesquid? Smile
Wonderful! You will quickly notice that 68k basic is a lot more complete than 83/84 basic, but its mostly a matter of extra commands, the syntax does not change a whole lot. The main thing I think you will struggle with is getting around the different UI, which takes a lot of getting used to. After learning a few basic languages, they all kind of start to look similar, and 68k basic is just another one I guess.
I now have a box that moves around the graph screen Razz
I still can't figure out how to get rid of the axis on the graph screen though
You should be able to edit graph settings in the format menu (It should be F1 and then 9)
I also have a 68k, the Voyage 200. I've done plenty of experimenting, and here are some of the coolest and most helpful things I've discovered:

- Go over the manual. It's thicc with information you didn't even know a calculator was capable of. It has a pretty extensive programming documentation as well.

- Understand loops. There isn't a "Repeat" function like on z80/ez80 calcs, but there is a crude replacent. Loop and EndLoop essentially act as a goto and a label though are a bit faster. The Exit command will, when run, exit out of the current loop.

- Understand functions. This one is by far the most crucial. TI-BASIC, though it is a versatile beginner language, falls short when it comes to function usage, meaning essentially using subprograms within programs that take arguments and return a value. You may have noticed that running a program requires you to add parenthesis following the program name, such as "Program()". This is because all programs have the feature of being able to take arguments when being run. Just edit the first line of your program (perhaps it's "Program()") and add in the values you want to take (such as "Program(a,b,c)"). This is step one to writing functions. The rest is pretty simple. Just replace "Prgm" in your program to "Func" and "EndPrgm" to "EndFunc" and the program will serve a whole new purpose. it will now return the last value returned in the function, and can be used just like any other catalog function on the homescreen or in a program.
So... i am trying to figure out what size sprite will fill up the screen nicely, but i cant figure it out, so I'll probably make the screen smaller, lol

Or just do none of those things and port my box game to the ti-89T
The TI-89(T) graph screen is 160×77, it looks like (the full LCD size is 160×100, but there's no way in pure TI-BASIC to remove the toolbar and status bars).
mr womp womp wrote:
Wonderful! You will quickly notice that 68k basic is a lot more complete than 83/84 basic

Its a shame the ti8x is more popular Sad
It is funny to me that ti8x is used to signify the (e)z80 83 and 84 series calculators, even though the 89 is also, according to logic, an 8x Razz
c4ooo wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
Wonderful! You will quickly notice that 68k basic is a lot more complete than 83/84 basic

Its a shame the ti8x is more popular Sad

First off, by definition, the ti-89 is a ti-8x Wink
Presumably you mean the ti-83-84 series, cause the ti-80 and ti-88 are also technically "ti-8x"
And the reason for the massive market share of ti calcs, and even more specifically the ti-83-84 series is not really due to the amount of features they offer, or the price for that matter. They dominate the graphing calculator arena because they are the models that teachers ask the students to buy, plain and simple. Now why the teachers ask for these specific models is the next logical question. The answer is that they simply have always had a near monopoly, basically since the late 80s. They are so much more popular than other models that instructions on how to use them are now found in textbooks, and most importantly, teachers know how to use them. Basically, it has gotten to the point where if a teacher tries to use another calculator in their classroom, they are going against the grain and it ends up feeling forced. This is also why ti is struggling to make their newer ti-nspire series gain popularity. So they aren't going anywhere. TI on the other hand is really milking this as much as they can (as would any for-profit business) by introducing press-to-test, holding an annual conference dedicated to teaching teachers how to use the calcs, and even going to the extent of not officially supporting asm on older models (the whole send(9) thing). I believe calculators equipped with a CAS are not allowed on some standardized tests which is why manufacturers are still producing non-CAS calculators. By keeping such a large market share, ti can also allow themselves to bump the prices up. There have been attempts by competitors like Casio and HP to destabilize this monopoly by offering objectively superior calculators for the same prices (the HP Prime, the Casio FX-CG series, etc.) which offer better specs, CASes, and color screens, but these have failed to make any significant difference.
This is why the ti-83-84, although being rather low end calculators when it comes to functionality and specs, are by far the most popular models.
Also, to be fair, they have a very intuitive UI and low learning curve, which is quite nice.
Don't forget the Ti-8123456789 model. I hear it is from the future. Good Idea
I remember the argument/discussion of what TI-8X truly means coming up before somewhere. Some used it to designate the Z80 calculators, which worked before the TI-89 came out, but now it's ambiguous because no one agrees on the exact meaning. I personally just avoid using the term altogether for that reason.

Of course, the situation is even more complex now that we have eZ80 calculators added to the mix and approximately one zillion different incompatible models whose names all start with "TI-84 Plus", as well as the infamous ARM(?) based ones with no model number at all.
***Pieman7373 gently nudges the conversation back onto the topic

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours