I just got about $420 from various graduation presents, and I am trying to pick a good laptop. I am willing to spend maybe $100 more dollars.
I just want input from smart people who know what they are talking about :3
Can you tell us what specs you're looking for? (ie. windows 10, core i5, touchscreen, etc.)
Definitely Windows (not mac) and I don't need/want a touchscreen... I mostly just want to use it for programming and casual gaming
Quote:
Nice.

I'd just steal recommendations from /r/laptops.
Indeed, specs would go a long way. Do you intend to spend all $420 on this PLUS up to another $100?
Do you want a 2-in-1 with a detachable keyboard? We can throw suggestions at you but we're really just throwing darts in the dark. So, you gotta turn on a few lights and tells us where to throw Wink What you provided is a start but are you looking for something portable? What is "light gaming?" is it a couple hours a week of some AAA title or some top-down 8-bit style indie games? Or, Candy Crush on Facebook? Details man.

What kind of programming? Do you see yourself creating a VM to test stuff in Linux? Do you want to write software or games? If it's games you're gunna want something that can run Unity, Unreal or, any other engine that you can get.

That said, these are the three laptops I'm looking at:
ASUS Transformer Book T100 Chi
I liked the 2-in-1, using it as a tablet or a laptop. Nothing powerful but I just need it for light processes anyways.

Dell i3168-0027RED
Again, nothing powerful as I just need a netbook like device.

ASUS F556UA-AB32
Always considering more than I need sometimes but this is a bit overkill because it's heavy, and this not very portable, and I don't really watch movies on my computers.
Yes, I want something portable, and it doesn't need to be a 2-in-1...
At this point I only program in basic on calculators, but I want to learn C and assembly eventually

And yes, 420 plus an additional 100 maybe

And I hope to be able to at least play minecraft, maybe, and UT2004
I would find a cheap dell Inspiron 5000 or 7000. That Inspiron 5000 two in one is really nice and really cheap.
I definitely want one with a solid state hard drive, and I don't really want a 2-in-1
Pieman7373 wrote:
I definitely want one with a solid state hard drive, and I don't really want a 2-in-1

You can get a Dell Inspiron 5000 or 7000 (normal) with a solid state drive for still pretty cheap. I am looking at a Dell Inspiron 5000 2-in-1 with a solid state for pretty cheap. Smile
I found one heck of a laptop Here for $500
2TB HDD + 128 GB SSD
16GB RAM
NVidia GTX 965M

This is pretty overkill for what you're looking for so I'll keep looking for a more reasonable one. Razz

EDIT:
If you're able to go up to $700, I found one with similar specs but with a much better processor (core i7)Here
here'sone that's just a little bit out of your budget and is totally not a rip off or a scam Razz
oh my word that is so cheap!
I am thinking about getting this one
(even though it is more than 520, but my dad thinks it would be worth it)
Pieman7373 wrote:
I am thinking about getting this one
(even though it is more than 520, but my dad thinks it would be worth it)

I dont really think I can help for a budget laptop... I personally like to checkout the more high end ones... like Razor, Gigabyte(The Aero 15 IS AMAZING), The Dell XPS 13 or 15... Alienwares, or my personal favorite(the one I hope to get some day) the Predator 21X from Acer. The only thing I can help you with for "budget" is building a PC. I am pretty good with that but for laptops... my recommendation would be https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=blaptopsw-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01DT4A2R4&linkId=3514018d3cbe590326a674bdd14116e7
Step one: build a desktop
Step two: anything is a laptop if you are brave enough
Tari wrote:
Quote:
Nice.

I'd just steal recommendations from /r/laptops.

Came here to say this. Will quote instead like a scrub.
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
my personal favorite(the one I hope to get some day) the Predator 21X from Acer.

This is the coolest laptop, but I'm just saying, if I had the even half of the $9000 needed to buy it, I would build a desktop. It's faster and more portable. Laughing
My final recommendation is this one. all of its specs are the same (even the SSD) except it has a much faster processor, it even costs less than the one you posted Pieman. Wink

calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
my personal favorite(the one I hope to get some day) the Predator 21X from Acer.

This is the coolest laptop, but I'm just saying, if I had the even half of the $9000 needed to buy it, I would build a desktop. It's faster and more portable. 0x5

oh, are we describing our dream laptops now? Razz
Personally, I love my Surface Book. The only upgraded laptop I'd get (if I had the money) is the i7 dGPU Surface Book. Cool
I don't have a specific recommendation but here a couple of things to think about. If you are going to be using the laptop for programming, the keyboard quality will matter a lot. Also, it may be would be cheaper to get a laptop with a hard disk and buy an SSD separately instead of getting it a laptop that comes with an SSD.
patrickdavidson wrote:
I don't have a specific recommendation but here a couple of things to think about. If you are going to be using the laptop for programming, the keyboard quality will matter a lot. Also, it may be would be cheaper to get a laptop with a hard disk and buy an SSD separately instead of getting it a laptop that comes with an SSD.

Wouldn't you want a laptop with an SSD for faster booting?
But does faster booting really matter that much?
I'm going to go ahead and say check out some lenovo laptops. (i own a z series one, and it has been perfect for me, aside from the trackpad, which is something I should have looked closer at when buying a windows laptop. Razz) Just make sure it has a good trackpad (read the reveiws) i know a lot have great pads, others dont.

I'd say go with an i5, 8gb ram, graphics card if you plan to play other games than minecraft or minecraft at high res/graphics. I personally would go HDD as i found that HdDs are perfrctly fine for me, and cheaper, so yeah Razz

Just my two cents.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours