Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Pieman7373 wrote:
That is an interesting idea, but I feel like it is a tad bit too restrictive, and it might turn out like the ill-fated CC19... no one submitted entries, we had like 2 to judge between at the end


I was thinking more along the lines of CC20, where contestants had to make a game for 3 different categories. It would be interesting to see different programmers' takes on these classic games and how they made the games their own by modifying the original concept.

Maybe people could choose 3 programs to remix before the contest's start instead of having others decide? This would give slightly more leeway as to the program ideas and add to the variation between submissions.

In any case, this was just a quick idea to revive the thread, and it seems to have done that.
In the past, contests around ideas with a simple theme that was easy to implement into any game have done very well, while ones with detailed, restrictive rules have had limited success or, as stated before, like two entries.

In the discord channel we have for discussing contest ideas, I reminded people of our plan for contests in the future (calc one in September, "other" one in March, with sporadic ones in between) and asked for suggestions for contest ideas. commandblockguy suggested that we do a cat-themed contest. Personally, I am concerned about potential overlap with CC13.

Perhaps we could do one about pets living creatures that aren't humans pets in general?
Pets seems a bit vague, just about anything can be a pet, heck some kids have pet rocks!
I'd suggest actually picking an animal that's not a cat. It's fun to see that the entries have some sort of common point (which was the case for the cats in space, and for the winter games because the themes were specific enough)
It also becomes a bit of a nightmare to crown a winner when everyone is submitting random programs that have nothing in common.
You would definitely want to pick an animal that is distinctive and easily recognizeable in pixel-art form (eg. The emperor tamarin because of the crazy mustache or an okapi because of the unusual stripe pattern)
mr womp womp wrote:
Pets seems a bit vague, just about anything can be a pet, heck some kids have pet rocks!
I'd suggest actually picking an animal that's not a cat. It's fun to see that the entries have some sort of common point (which was the case for the cats in space, and for the winter games because the themes were specific enough)
It also becomes a bit of a nightmare to crown a winner when everyone is submitting random programs that have nothing in common.
You would definitely want to pick an animal that is distinctive and easily recognizeable in pixel-art form (eg. The emperor tamarin because of the crazy mustache or an okapi because of the unusual stripe pattern)


That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that.

How about a game for pet rocks? Evil or Very Mad

Edit, speaking of Evil or Very Mad, commandblockguy had yet another suggestion in the discord. It calls for a contest about spies and stealth, and I think this is a great idea.
Iíve been playing some Donkey Kong Land 2 in TI-Boy, so Iíd really like to do one with monkeys. Pet rocks would be interesting as well (thatís strange enough that participation would probably be high, and the programs would be hugely varied), and a spy-themed one would definitely spark some good submissions.
I think recreating some famous App Store games (ones that aren't already in the archives) could be pretty cool. The only issue is where would you draw the line between "famous enough" and "too obscure"...

P.S. Yesterday was my birthday Laughing!
Happy birthday!

I do like 'out there' contest ideas though Smile.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
In the discord channel we have for discussing contest ideas, I reminded people of our plan for contests in the future (calc one in September, "other" one in March, with sporadic ones in between) and asked for suggestions for contest ideas.


Is this still the case? If so, I think there should be the option to make a calc program for the March contest as well. Since thatís pretty soon, here are a few ideas:
-space
-a multipart contest where you would have to make an entry based around each season of the year (fall, spring, summer, winter)
-contest where you have to make an FPS
-ray casting/pseudo 3D contest
-sports (already posted, but it is a good idea, so Iím posting it again)
-cars/auto racing
-air combat/flight simulation

Looking forward to CC24, and thanks to the moderators for hosting the contests up until now, they have been a lot of fun.
Ahh yes, the contest stuff has dropped by the wayside a little - time to reinvigorate!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Ahh yes, the contest stuff has dropped by the wayside a little - time to reinvigorate!


Okay- post contest ideas for CC24 here, people. Also, I think that we should bring back the voting system from CC22, which will make the community more involved in who wins and this (hopefully) increase traffic on the site.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement