So, I'm using Windows 10 currently, but many people say it's really bad, although I can't see exactly why (I am not a computer developer). Does anyone have good arguments to use one of both? Also, is it easy to switch betweem them (so installing Linux now, but have the possibility to go back to Windows), and if so, how? Thanks for your answers! Smile
It is really easy to use both windows and linux if you dual boot correctly. That is what I do, and all it requires is a restart to switch OS's. About which OS is better, I guess it all depends on what type of applications you like to create and what OS you like to use more. Someone else can probably elaborate more upon that.
Others can and will articulate this better than I but W10 is bad from a consumer point of view. They inject ads into Windows Explorer, seeming re-enable privacy settings on every update, and a slew ion other things. I can't easily find a link for the second thing I mentioned but I remember a lot of uproar over how users disabled settings then those settings were re-enabled on the next security update or something. Or those settings were moved somewhere else entirely. A core idea behind W10 is a worrisome one. Microsoft wants to collect data and wants you to pay them for that privilege.

If you have the ability, I'd suggest you just use Linux. As I started with, other will be more knowledgable then I here but that's because I'm a macOS heathen. My views of W10 are limited to what I have read and what I have heard from friends.
Alex wrote:
Others can and will articulate this better than I but W10 is bad from a consumer point of view. They inject ads into Windows Explorer, seeming re-enable privacy settings on every update, and a slew ion other things. I can't easily find a link for the second thing I mentioned but I remember a lot of uproar over how users disabled settings then those settings were re-enabled on the next security update or something. Or those settings were moved somewhere else entirely. A core idea behind W10 is a worrisome one. Microsoft wants to collect data and wants you to pay them for that privilege.

If you have the ability, I'd suggest you just use Linux. As I started with, other will be more knowledgable then I here but that's because I'm a macOS heathen. My views of W10 are limited to what I have read and what I have heard from friends.

I wonder if these things show up on the server version of windows :/
Sadly I'm lost in linux - it seems very text based rather than visual which probably makes it much nore flexible... i would not mind having dual boot with linux option but not sure if i can achieve it on surface or yoga book and keep support for pens etc... linux that I would like to have set up is the one which would compile some of the prizm projects which i cannot compile under Windows
Alex wrote:
Microsoft wants to collect data and wants you to pay them for that privilege.

I prefer Windows. I'm not comfortable with the privacy problems, but then again, I use Google for everything (so I'm already giving up my privacy.)

But the reason they're doing this is, correct me if I'm wrong, but they're not really releasing new versions of Windows. They will release big updates, however. But since it's continuously upgrading and they aren't doing a subscription based model (only a flat fee) they have to make money somehow. They simply are trying to become more like Google.
amazonka wrote:
Sadly I'm lost in linux - it seems very text based rather than visual which probably makes it much nore flexible... i would not mind having dual boot with linux option but not sure if i can achieve it on surface or yoga book and keep support for pens etc... linux that I would like to have set up is the one which would compile some of the prizm projects which i cannot compile under Windows

There are so many linux distros that it is very easy to find one that isn't very text oriented. Such as ZorinOS or Ubuntu. I will probably start using Kali Linux, Ubuntu, or ZorinOS this year.
I used Ubuntu as my daily driver for about a year.

It was awesome, crashes never happened, no Windows updates, etc. But software is a huge problem. You would be hard pressed to find good games that run on Linux, Microsoft Office and other essential software isn't compatible and installing software is a huge pain(unless it is in the software center, which is rare).

If you are thinking about switching, I would download and install virtualbox and try out ubuntu in there. More on that here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

Or try this (limited) online tour: http://tour.ubuntu.com/en/
By using a Linux distro for desktop, you indirectly support the continuation of Wine and are also indirectly giving MS the finger for trying to make a mobile simplification of an operating that inherently isn't.
andressevilla wrote:

If you are thinking about switching, I would download and install virtualbox and try out ubuntu in there. More on that here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

Ubuntu provides a trial version, that is bootable from whatever you used as your boot disk, all you need to do is select the "Try Without Installing" option when first loading the Ubuntu installer.
andressevilla wrote:
I used Ubuntu as my daily driver for about a year.

It was awesome, crashes never happened, no Windows updates, etc. But software is a huge problem. You would be hard pressed to find good games that run on Linux, Microsoft Office and other essential software isn't compatible and installing software is a huge pain(unless it is in the software center, which is rare)/

Software really isnyt that much of a pain; if you cant find it in the center, you google it and install from a ppa in 3 lines of terminal, or download and click on a .deb. granted, libreoffice probably isnt as good as word, but it provides a good solution to lacking word. If you really need something but can't find it for linux, there is wine.

But to solve the software problem completly, i would just dual boot windows and linux. Use windows for gaming and whatever vs17/unity programming i might need to do and leave linux for everything else.
Quote:
~~long post~~

I would agree. Windows is a big gaming platform, but Linux is for more of office workers and coders and the like. If you need something done, it can. But I still prefer my Linux to any Windows.
Growing up in the 2000's with windows, i have come to learn all of it's insand outs, and find that it is very uncomfortable to move to any other OS that is unfamiliar.
Dual boot is incredibly annoying, because you don't get the ability to run the two side-by-side if it is ever required, and because it is not possible to make a quick switch between the two.

Even then, virtualization tools are finicky as well. Sharing folders is not seamless and requires manually mounting a folder as if it were a network folder. Memory is also more limited than what would ideally be available if running natively. What's more, some graphics-intensive programs have compatibility issues with VirtualBox/VMware's graphics drivers, such as Atom (which in turn runs on Chromium's Blink engine).
I can't manage to share folders between Virtual Box Ununtu, ZorinOS, etc, while I can do so easily with windows vm's
My preferred method is somewhat along what oldmud0 was getting at. I currently run Linux Mint; and I am very pleased with both the GUI and the performance. If I ever need to use Windows; I just grabbed the ISO image from Microsoft available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO and loaded it into VirtualBox. This allows me to share folders on my Linux OS within Windows; so I can test things on Windows and Linux at the same time. (Also I could add macOS too if I really wanted). Since my laptop came with the Windows software key, this was very easy to do. Linux at first may seem different; but once you realize what you have been missing in regards to programming, it is rather amazing. I would recommend against Ubuntu; I have found that I don't like it that much and instead prefer the windows feel of Mint. Anywho. It's entirely up to you; but I feel that linux will make teach you a lot of useful things.
just a question, if i am using linux from a usb HDD, can i modify the internal HDD, without windows and/or its restricitons getting in the way?

The end goal is a prank so that whenever my friend logs into the computer, it loads a batch file, and shuts down. i know how it will be done, i just need to know if i am able to do it, before i risk getting into trouble because i have a non-windows os running on a computer at school.
BigSmoke3320 wrote:
just a question, if i am using linux from a usb HDD, can i modify the internal HDD, without windows and/or its restricitons getting in the way?
I believe so, as long as windows was shut down entirely, (if it had some sort of hibernation shutdown linux can't access the files, at least, from another partition on the same HDD.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest doing that to a school PC because you could end up deleting something important on accident, and crashing the PC.
s04 wrote:
Quote:
~~long post~~

... but Linux is for more of office workers ...

I have never once seen or heard of an office run Linux. My Dentists' office, eye doctor, my work, my schools office, my moms work, and likely more I'm forgetting all run Windows. Linux isn't even an option. Perhaps because you're a new user I don't know where you reside but at least in my visited areas of the States, every business primarily runs Windows, otherwise it's macOS.
BigSmoke3320 wrote:

Yes, you can. I have used this method to reset passwords on computers running windows.

Alex wrote:
I have never once seen or heard of an office run Linux...

I haven't either, I would assume he was talking about servers.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours