My TI-84 Plus CE's glue for the plastic part that protects the LCD screen was weak and the protector was popping off, this meant that dust was getting under the protector and this was really bugging me. So after looking around Cemetech's forum I found this topic. I thought "Hey, fixing this looks easy!" So I took a suction cup and popped the protector off my calculator. I cleaned the LCD and the protector with a microfiber cloth. Then I thought, "well that was simple, now to prevent the protector from coming off again, I'll re-glue it with super-glue!" so I put a small line of super-glue all around the edges of the protector and firmly reattached it. Everything looked clean and perfect!

But now here's the catcher:
Today I noticed that somehow the glue (I thinks it's the old glue) got smeared all over the protector and a little bit on the LCD screen!!! I attempted to pry the screen protector off with the suction cup, but of course it's super-glue it wont come off! and now my screen looks 100x worse than before! Crying

So now I'm befuddled on what to do. Is my screen screwed and I need to either deal with it or get a new calculator? Or is there a way I could possibly take my calculator apart and clean the glue off? (I'm not worried about any warranty if I have to take it apart)

EDIT: here are a few pictures of it.

EDIT_2:
Michael2_3B (on SAX) wrote:
Never do your own super-glue job

Lesson learned Wink

EDIT_2 years later:
It is possible to access the LCD from the back and assuming you have the tools, it's not that bad. I have created a teardown guide and posted it on iFixit here. Unfortunately, even if you can access the LCD, there's not much you can do. Some people have even tried to clean it using acetone without any luck. Moral of the story, don't mess with the glue I guess.
As i read this post, my brain was throwing red flags right and left :'D
"Hey, fixing this easy"= lots of pain and suffering that is usually not worth it
"well that was simple..."= dramatic irony o the part of your brain
"super-glue"= uh oh....
"everything looked clean and perfect"= "this is too good to be true"

This might sound slightly terrible, but this the exact type of misfortune that i find hilarious. Even when it happens to me, i am usually only mad for a short period of time before i start laughing. Razz

I would give you a karma point rn, but for some reason Decbot3 isnt around
(Pieman7373 cries)
Can you share a picture of what this looks like? It sounds like we're discussing the TI-84 Plus CE based on that topic that you linked, so this might be a bit problematic. For what it's worth, acetone is a solvent for super glue, so if you can soak the edges of your screen protector in acetone (nail polish remover), you may be able to get it off and try again.
From what I've read, wouldn't acetone damage/recolor the surface you put it on? Perhaps it's not that big of a deal though.
I need to advise against acetone. It eats most plastics, And will probably damage the screen. You want denatured alcohol and some time to clean anything up. Tho how it works against super glue I can not say.
I (finally) got some pictures. Kind of hard to see though.
It's not as bad as my friend's calc. His screen *dangles* on the wires. It is missing keys.

Pro tip: Never step on your calculator...

I have all kind of **** underneath my calculator screen, everything from pencil shavings to little bits of who-knows what....

Not as bad as the guy with an ant colony in his calculator (I tried to find it, but to no avail. I know it is online somewhere though)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Not as bad as the guy with an ant colony in his calculator (I tried to find it, but to no avail. I know it is online somewhere though)

I found this.
http://imgur.com/gallery/NUXkFVf
http://imgur.com/Imc8W37
Is the glue on outer surface of the casing or inner side or lcd itself?
It's on the inner side of the screen protector and has a little bit on the outside of the LCD. There is no glue on the outer surface of the casing.

The screen protector is in too good of a fit to get any liquid (or even a small flat-head screw driver) to the glue. So I don't think I'll be able to get to the screen from the top side. Sad However, I have the proper tools to take the back off, does this seem like a viable option to get to the screen?
I've heard that it is not easy to get behind the screen from the back. I don't remember if the lcd is glued to the housing or the rest of the board is attached to the housing requiring melting off some pegs etc

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours