» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just wondering, I know it's not possible to run GBA games at full speed but is it possible to run them at 0.25x speed on a TI-84 CE?
No. The Game Boy Advance's hardware is totally different from a Game Boy or a Game Boy color. An emulator would need to be written specifically for it, and I'm doubtful such an emulator is even possible. The calculator is on the edge of not having enough ROM/RAM to store/run a Game Boy Advance game. If it were possible, you'd be lucky to get 10% emulation speed.
Hey Calc84Maniac I have a question about how the rom conversion tool works. Does it just convert the roms into a form that the emulator can read, or does it do extra things to ensure maximum performance? Also while being converted does it take out all the sound bytes, or in other words all the files on the rom that correspond to making sound work? If not do you think it would be possible to do it in the future? After all since the Ti 84 Plus CE can't output sound, and if I'm right with my guess and all the sound files were removed from a rom, it would take up less space on the calculator allowing for more games to be put on the calculator.
The ROM is not altered, it is just repackaged. Safely and automatically optimizing all but the simplest code/data structures ROMs would be a massive and fragile undertaking in practice, and outright impossible in theory.
Hey Calc84
There are a few problems it crashes after boosting the graphics like on Poke'mon red and Kirby Dreamland 2
Surprised Bad Idea Shock
Great work on the emulator, I really appreciate the effort put into this! Works well so far with Super Mario Land and Pokemon Yellow, and I'll try to report bugs to github if I find any.
There is some few bug after some time the emu say run time error or invalid opcode.
Also I was playing Pokemon red when the invalid opcode came up. it all happen on pokemon
I just tried this with Kirby's Dream Land and it worked really well, could run at about 150% speed at best.

Is it somehow possible to compress games and decompress them when they are loaded, or would that be too slow/harmful to the archive because of the size?
Minxrod wrote:
Is it somehow possible to compress games and decompress them when they are loaded, or would that be too slow/harmful to the archive because of the size?

Yes, that would be both slow and harmful.
This looks awesome! Wish I could play it though. Can't seem to find any roms... Sad Sad Sad
Awesome that this has finally been brought to a working state! I've been playtesting yesterday with a few games, and they run pretty much flawlessly. The only issue I've come across is that once, when I was starting Level 2-2 in Donkey Kong, it errored out due to an "invalid opcode". It worked fine when I reloaded the game and tried again, though.

Here are a few suggestions for features that would be nice, although I totally understand if you can't or don't want to add them:

▪ Fully customizable colors (i.e. directly alter the RGB values, as well as being able to select from premade palettes)
    ▪ Turbo A and B buttons
    ▪ Changeable/custom skins
    ▪ Alphabetical sorting of games
    ▪ Cheats? I know, it probably won't happen, but it'd be kinda cool to see

As it is, however, this emulator is amazing, and has exceeded my expectations. Good job!
JWinslow23 wrote:

Cheats? I know, it probably won't happen, but it'd be kinda cool to see

Cheats would mean altering the game itself. This is just an emulator. It's like saying you want to change the script of a movie with a DVD player.
DanielSquad wrote:
Cheats would mean altering the game itself. This is just an emulator.

Yes, and an emulator is able to alter the game itself Wink It's actually quite common for emulators to let the user provide "cheat" codes that change the values of specified memory addresses.
JosJuice wrote:
Yes, and an emulator is able to alter the game itself Wink It's actually quite common for emulators to let the user provide "cheat" codes that change the values of specified memory addresses.

I see. I've never used an emulator that does that! It'll be cool to use the TI-Boy to cheat Pokemon. Hopefully, this is considered. (note to calc84maniac: We're not pressuring you to do anything! Do what you think is best Smile)
Is it possible to erase all code for sound in the ROM conversions to save space? OR does it need to be manual?
xMarminq_ wrote:
Is it possible to erase all code for sound in the ROM conversions to save space? OR does it need to be manual?

Detecting sound code is an NP hard problem.
Would it be possible to add a custom colour table to a 'ROM Header' that can be shared (sans the actual ROM of course)? But I guess the ability to set colours at runtime would suffice.

Regarding cheats, well a simple RAM value editor might be possible - however there will likely be a performance overhead should you want a 'persistent' value. Perhaps there could be a special couple of keys that could be assigned to a value->RAM address function ... there could be stability problems with this however.

Stripping sound from a ROM would likely be a manual affair as not all cart structures are the same etc.
After spending a month playing Pokemon Yellow on the Ti-Boy CE, this has worked flawlessly for me. Although there were a few crashes, I had save backups. I'm almost done with the game and working on filling the Pokedex (ditto glitching), and I started to notice that I was running out of memory. Pokemon is a big game, so it makes sense. So, is there a way to optimize the save memories? I know about manually going to the memory management, but I'm afraid that I might accidentally delete something important.
Delete some of your other games, images and stuff that take up space. I can fit Yellow, Blue and Red all at once right now. And, I've beaten all three Wink. I do indeed hate crashes, but I get used to saving often now.

Use TI-Connect CE to list files by size, to find bigger files, by name, to find files easier, and by type, to find specific types of files.
I've released TI-Boy CE Alpha v0.1.1, which fixes an erratic crash along with some other minor bugfixes and improvements. I recommend updating to this version ASAP because the crash can affect any game.

Check it out here: https://calc84maniac.github.io/tiboyce/releases/2018/07/28/alpha-v0-1-1-released.html

Hopefully this will fix the problems people have been having, but let me know if you see any more crashes with this version. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours