23%  [ 8 ]
Ti-Basic
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ti-BASIC
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other, please post below!
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 34

Some of us prefer "TI-BASIC"; some of us prefer "TI-Basic". Some of us prefer something different altogether! What do you use?

I am really curious as to what people use!

edit by Alex, topic title was originally pretty vague.
I use C; that's the correct way.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Bravo!
But do you want C to be tainted by association with a crappy language?
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Bravo!
But do you want C to be tainted by association with a crappy language?

TI-BASIC, a capital C.
I personally use all of the above. That, my friends, is called crappy foresight. (please let us edit polls....)
MateoConLechuga wrote:

TI-BASIC, a capital C.

Mateo knows how to spell Cool
TI-BASIC stands for Texas Instruments BASIC, which is a variant of the common BASIC programming language. BASIC itself stands for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, which resembles TI-BASIC, hence the name. The correct spelling is in fact TI-BASIC.
CalcMeister wrote:
TI-BASIC stands for Texas Instruments BASIC, which is a variant of the common BASIC programming language. BASIC itself stands for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, which resembles TI-BASIC, hence the name. The correct spelling is in fact TI-BASIC.

TI themselves have used "TI-Basic", and generally in greater quantity than the alternatives, however.
Just wanted to chime in with the Why to the topic change. It was vague, yes, but mainly when out of context. I came from IRC because I wanted to know what "it" was. This way, anyone browsing through the topic titles via "New Posts" or IRC can understand what this is about quickly.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
(please let us edit polls....)

Polls cannot be edited after they've been voted in to prevent the results from being inaccurate. Such as if you added a new option after 5 people voted. How many of those 5 would have voted for the new option? Additionally, you can't edit option text because what if you renamed all the options to something totally different?

I've edited a few polls for users, such as if they misspelled something or I was around when they initially set up the poll.
Quote:
How should "TI-BASIC" be written?

Quote:
Nik, what's your name?

Razz

No, just kidding. I personally prefer TI-Basic, although don't ask me why. Probably I picked it up somewhere and keep using it like this. Probably I even picked it up from TI-Basic Developer, it was the first calculator programming site I used.
CalcMeister wrote:

Yes, (in fact, the first line of code I ever wrote was in the original BASIC) but some people don't have a caps lock key on their keyboard (like me, who is also too lazy to hold the shift key).
TI8x-BASIC, since TI-BASIC is already a language for a different TI computer. This way you can also easaly specify what your platform is (TI83-Basic, TI83p-Basic, TI84pce-Basic).

Edit: welp, you hijacked the Wikipedia page >.< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-BASIC
Most of the sources of that page were written by Cemetech members! (yay)

I think that is awesome, that there is a "network" of these calculator communities.

To keep this post on topic, I like you suggestion.

Perhaps change it to something like TI-BASIC-8x for readability. Or TI-8x-BASIC.

Razz
Battlesquid wrote:
[insert Battlesquid's large image that I don't want to show again and will take up a lot of the page]

Well then TI is WRONG.
CalcMeister wrote:
Battlesquid wrote:
[insert Battlesquid's large image that I don't want to show again and will take up a lot of the page]

Well then TI is WRONG.

Erm... NASA?

Also, I did a complete, computerized scan of TI's online documentation, and did not find a *single* mention of TI-BASIC. I used some cruddy software, though.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

Erm... NASA?

Also, I did a complete, computerized scan of TI's online documentation, and did not find a *single* mention of TI-BASIC. I used some cruddy software, though.

No, this is the STEMnauts competition. That means Texas Instruments wrote that Razz

TI's software could use some improving, maybe we would help them Very Happy
Yeah, and make them pay in sequential digits of the 2048 signing key...Starting at the first one...That'd take you a while. Shorter than trying to do it "the other way". Just kidding. It's there for a reason.
Yeah, if we already haven't...
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
but some people don't have a caps lock key on their keyboard (like me, who is also too lazy to hold the shift key).

If you have a full keyboard then you likely have Shift Lock, which is a more hard core version of Caps Lock.
I voted for TI-Basic, because I've seen TI refer to it like that before, but tbh, is this not completely irrelevant and useless?..
I'm sure if I were to look around a little, I could find instances where I wrote it in all sorts of different ways, but I guess that just goes to show how much I don't care.
TI-BASIC looks weird though, is there a reason why that is a popular response, like is there a formal document that uses that spelling? Also, Ti-Basic is definitely not a thing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours