As the title says, I would like to port games that I would like to play, onto my calculator. However, I have 1. little to no programming knowledge 2. Little to no calculator knowledge 3. too little time on my hands to learn either. If somebody has already posted a simple guide on how to do this on this forum or another, a link would be appreciated, or if you have advice, reply or something. Im looking to either port Gemini or the actual DOOM, or any DOOM clones.

Thanks!
This isn't quite as easy as a non-programmer might think. You need to be fluent in an be able to understand both the language you are porting from and the language you are porting to. Especially on a low level piece of hardware such as a calculator, it would take a year at least of experience to gain the skill required to port a complex game like Doom. Less complex programs can be created within TI-BASIC, the built in programming language that is included with your calculator. For a tutorial learning to code your calc, I suggest Dr. Christopher Mitchell's "Programming the TI-83/TI-84 series calculators" or for free at tibasicdev.wikidot.com
Gemini is written in assembly. You will need to learn assembly to successfully pull this off by leaving some parts of the ASM intact and converting other parts to C.

There is a group intending to work on DOOM for the CE, but I haven't heard any progress for them.

Why don't you start off with hybrid BASIC?
I like hybrid BASIC! What calculators do you have, Ti84cecalculatormasterace?
Alrighty, thank you for the help, however I have a limited amount of time and I almost desperately need ports. When I have free time I will go over several of the tutorials and languages reccomended to me, but I currently really need ports of either doom clones, or Gemini.

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes, I am on mobile

Also, I only own a Ti-84 plus CE.
Ti84cecalculatormasterace wrote:
Alrighty, thank you for the help, however I have a limited amount of time and I almost desperately need ports. When I have free time I will go over several of the tutorials and languages reccomended to me, but I currently really need ports of either doom clones, or Gemini.

What is the cause of your desperate need of a game clone, specifically for these games? There are plenty of other quality games in our Archives for the TI-84 Plus CE.
Yeah, we should probably work on Doom some more. Razz The problem is, its a HUGE project, its going to be a while even if we do get started again.
CalcMeister wrote:

What is the cause of your desperate need of a game clone, specifically for these games? There are plenty of other quality games in our Archives for the TI-84 Plus CE.
For entertainment's sake. There are good games in the arcives, but not a lot of them are first person shooters. Im also on a bet to put doom on my calculator, so that is the reason for my urgent tone.
For entertainment's sake. There are good games in the arcives, but not a lot of them are first person shooters.

Have you seen this?
Im also on a bet to put doom on my calculator, so that is the reason for my urgent tone.

How much is that bet on? You'll probably lose some money. As I said, it will be a long time, if ever, that Doom will be finished.
Well technically you can't count Zombies CE since it's not yet finished. (I hope it get's finished quickly though!)
Here's my take:

Doom is a rather complex game. Currently, games like Mario are pushing it (at least right now, they are. Look up Oiram). Therefore, Doom is pretty far off.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Here's my take:

Doom is a rather complex game. Currently, games like Mario are pushing it (at least right now, they are. Look up Oiram). Therefore, Doom is pretty far off.

Erm, this post about gLib, a 3d rendering engine, shows a 3d environment kicking a calcs butt. Yeah, its not nearly finished or anything, but...
Luxen wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Here's my take:

Erm, this post about gLib, a 3d rendering engine, shows a 3d environment kicking a calcs butt. Yeah, its not nearly finished or anything, but...

Admittedly, this is extremely cool, but I doubt it is going places when it comes to actually making a video game. An idea would be to use a lot of really low-poly models to make a faster video game like this zelda themed model, rather than going for a realistic environment...
But that's not Doom or Gemini Wink
Of course, glib is still pretty far away from actual video game (even if it is closer everyday), but you can take it as a performance baseline : given the engine do far more work and is more versatile than a DOOM/Gemini engine, a DOOM engine should be quite doable. Sure though, it would take quite some time to devellop and won't be done in one day Razz
There is a port of Doom for a TI-83 if I remember correctly... it would not work on a CE, but technically it's on the calculator!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours