My friend has been trying to get this equation calculated, but when he does it it throws a "TOLERANCE NOT MET" Error. What does this mean? Here's the equation (I tried it on PSE, PCSE, and PCE)

It means that the calculator cannot obtain an accurate result for the given input.

∫(1/cosĀ²(x))dx=tan(x). Since tan(x) diverges as x→π/2⁻, the integral also diverges and cannot be evaluated numerically by the calculator. (i.e. there is infinite area under the curve)
jonbush wrote:
It means that the calculator cannot obtain an accurate result for the given input.

∫(1/cosĀ²(x))dx=tan(x). Since tan(x) diverges as x→π/2⁻, the integral also diverges and cannot be evaluated numerically by the calculator. (i.e. there is infinite area under the curve)

What he said. However, in the fnInt command, there is an optional argument that you can add to define the tolerance. If you set this to a big enough number, you can get a goodish approximation. The reason the calculator can't do it is because it lacks a CAS, which means it has to compute the integral using a numerical method (hence the use of a tol parameter in the first place). If you try using a calculator that has a CAS like the ti-nspire CX CAS, then it will be able to solve it for you.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours