PT_ wrote:
Guys, it's Friday again! This means you have exactly 1 week to complete your program, fix eventually bugs, or start coding when you didn't already! As promised, I will tell you how we will grade it, and how you can submit your entry!

Grading:
We will start by checking if none of the forbidden tokens is in the program. If one of them is, or more, your entry will be disqualified. We will all create 7 inputs, independant, thus 21 inputs in total. Your program has to solve all these 21 inputs, without errors, and the right output. If it fails for at least 1 program, it will be disqualified as well. During the testing of all the inputs, we will keep track of the timing, by using the clock cycle counter in CEmu. We will get the time of each program the same way, to ensure everything went right. Your final timing is the average of all the 21 timings. The size of your entry, is the sum of all the sizes of your programs, minus the header(s). So, if you have prgmA which shows up as 420 bytes in the mem menu, your final size is 420-9-(program name length=1)=410 bytes. The same applies to subprograms. The last 10 points of your final score goes Elegance, which will be determined by the judge.

Submitting:
To submit your entry, put it in a zip file, and send it before 3/24/2017, at 23:59:59pm Eastern Time to contest at this domain. Please put your Cemetech username in the email body or topic, such that we know who we are grading Wink

Have fun, and good luck finishing it!

To elaborate on the scoring, the scores are based off your performance relative to others. If you look at the beautiful VBS code in the first post, you will see that 45% is accorded to Speed, 45% to Size, and 10% to elegance. The scores for elegance will simply be a 0-10 gradient, agreed upon by all three judges. As for speed and size, it depends on all the other entries, the fastest will obtain 45%, slowest will not obtain any points, everything in between is mapped to a value on the interval in a linear fashion, same method for size. Obviously, the person who obtains the biggest score wins the contest.
Will the scores of everyone in the contest be posted? I know I backed out, but it would be cool to see.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Will the scores of everyone in the contest be posted? I know I backed out, but it would be cool to see.

We will discuss this, although that should not be a problem in my opinion.

Time flies. Only 3 days left! Did someone already submit his/her entry? If not, don't forget to! Smile Send it to contest at this domain (if you don't know what this is, please PM me or mr womp womp or Pieman Wink)
Only 2 days left, so hurry up!
I'm just going to back out at this point. There's no way I can get my program to an low enough size (Still ~200 bytes).
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
I'm just going to back out at this point. There's no way I can get my program to an low enough size (Still ~200 bytes).

Dont back out! It is still worth submitting Very Happy
Pieman7373 wrote:
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:

Dont back out! It is still worth submitting Very Happy

Indeed, the scores are based off of other people's scores, therefore, if you submit it, you will affect everybody else's score, regardless of if you are in 1st place or not. Also, you spent time making a program that presumably works, I don't see the utility in not submitting it! Besides, it would be pretty lame if only 1 person entered and won by default Wink 200 bytes doesn't seem too bad given the constraints, I'm speculating here, but you probably did not use the same method as others, which makes your program that much more interesting.
I'm planning on submitting​ mine even though it is almost 750B at the moment.
About a third of that fixes ~2% of mazes that I've tested.
I'm not used to working with only a few variables, which is probably the main cause of the huge program size...
commandblockguy wrote:
I'm not used to working with only a few variables, which is probably the main cause of the huge program size...

Well, just don't give up! Very Happy Very Happy
commandblockguy wrote:

I have a half-working program that is over 3 kilobytes. Don't feel discouraged. I might submit it to heighten your guys' scores. It shouldn't affect rankings, but will make the scores more satisfying to look at Razz
This is going to be fun!

Ranman offers his encouragement to everyone!!
Ranman wrote:
This is going to be fun!

Ranman offers his encouragement to everyone!!

Me too!

Good luck! I hope you guys had a ton of fun, and each learned something. I am excited to hear the results, and am even more excited to see the programs.
*bumpitybumpitybumpity*

1 day and 4 hours left!
This is going to be a lot of fun to judge and debate, I see the program sizes vary a lot, so presumably, you all have very different ways of approaching this problem!
mr womp womp wrote:
This is going to be a lot of fun to judge and debate, I see the program sizes vary a lot, so presumably, you all have very different ways of approaching this problem!

Ditto! Very Happy
Must all areas not part of the path be zeroes?
With my program, few areas with temporary information are occasionally left with certain designs.
Can I shave off a few bytes by leaving them the way they are, as long as they aren't 1's or 2's?
No, the walls must stay as 1's, and the path should be 2's, but the rest can be anything else.
6 hours to go, so hurry up! Smile
I'm tired and very demoralized from losing a crapton of contests and competitions this weekend so I'll go ahead and lose this competition as well by publicly posting my submission after the deadline when I have time to actually make something decent. Good night
Unfortunately, I won't be submitting an entry either. Two weeks ago, I wrote down an algorithm I thought would work, but it wasn't until today that actually I tested it and found it didn't work even with some fixes. I was basically overconfident and procrastinated.

Congrats to those who already submitted solutions; I'll post my thoughts and probably a finished program soon after the deadline if it isn't extended.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours