As some perhaps do know, or perhaps don't, I am playing chess a lot and I am an active member in our local chess club. I'd love to play chess with some of you guys, so consider this an invitation for anyone.
Perhaps we could do a small Cemetech Chess Tournament?

If anyone is interested in this or just a game or two with me, just post here and we'll agree on a place (I know a good website for chess games) and time.
I'm game, i haven't really played for a while, but i was semi-decent when i did play a few years ago Very Happy
I'm in if my schedule allows it
Bring it on Smile
Wow, these are a lot more replies than expected. If we get eight or more, I might indeed try to organize a tournament! Smile
I'm not very good, but I'll try. Razz
That sounds really fun... Only I am rarely on the internet for over a half-hour at a time for recreational purposes. Sad
Considering the difficulties arising from collecting 8+ people from all over the time zones to play chess at a particular time, I don't think it would be possible to have all games played in sequence and synchronously. It would much more likely be an event for a week or so...
So feel free to join, I'd try to make time the least issue. Smile
I'll give it a shot, if time allows (I hope it does Smile).
Sure. I'd try. Timing is a big thing for me, since I'm on overload with school work right now
With switchblade we're eight - let's perhaps wait another day or two if anyone else would like to enter, and I'll begin planning.

I propose a seven round game, where people play all seven rounds (You're not out if you lost a game.). Every round would take a day and during that day all pairs play their game, when exactly would depend on when and who has time.
That would conveniently allow the first round to be on monday and the rest of them that following week.

There are plenty of algorithms and implementations thereof for that tournament mode, though I don't know it's English name ("Schweizer System" in German, literally translates to "Swiss System").

Is that okay/do you have any doubts/ideas?

It also remains to settle on a time. I propose 30 minutes per person and game, but that means a game takes an hour. Also, games over the Internet are rarely as long, usually the people just finish in about 30 - 40 minutes at most.
I won't participate, but I have one remark: what would happen if someone can't play a game an entire day for whatever reason, but the next day, or even later?
PT_ wrote:
I won't participate, but I have one remark: what would happen if someone can't play a game an entire day for whatever reason, but the next day, or even later?

That would be unfortunate, and the only solutions that occur to me are either to count that as a lost game, as in real tournaments, or to delay the whole thing by a day.
What will you be using to conduct the tournament? Might wan't to brush up a bit... Smile
I would love to, but I am unable to spend that much time online for a chess game. I would suggest making it over the course over a few weeks, with concurrent games whenever people are available to play them. Who ever has the best (win/loss)*numOfGames should win!
Battlesquid wrote:
What will you be using to conduct the tournament? Might wan't to brush up a bit... Smile

lichess has proved to have the best online chess app that I found, so I am using their site too.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I would love to, but I am unable to spend that much time online for a chess game. I would suggest making it over the course over a few weeks, with concurrent games whenever people are available to play them. Who ever has the best (win/loss)*numOfGames should win!

"Swiss System" works somewhat similar to that. The opponents are chosen based on the games they won and lost, and everyone plays exactly the same amount of games (usually five or seven, depending on the available time). Then there is a primary result, that is the number of games won. And secondary and tertiary results which are used in case the primary is equal, they are calculated from the opponents you won against and the order in which you won the games, I may look up how exactly if you wish.
The system has proven reliable and accurate, but a variable amount of games would bring difficulties.
However, I can extend the period of a round to two or more days if a lot of us have time problems.
We may also just have the people play and only proceed once all games are finished. In extreme cases we may count it as a draw, too.

That's why I think timing problems may be solved.
So when will it probably start?
I'm up for some chess Smile.
I am aiming for a start tomorrow.
Nice!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours