new link with English press release for Europe here:
https://www.casio-europe.com/euro/news/detail/2525_casio-releases-new-graphing-calculator-with-3d-function/

Quote:
CASIO releases new graphing calculator with 3D function
Casio Computer is launching the new colour screen graphing calculator FX-CG50 that is able to draw 3D graphs. Innovative and easy-to-operate functions as well as the high-quality design make this calculator an advanced device for practical mathematics teaching.
Norderstedt, 18 January 2017. By offering 3D visualisation of results in graphs, the FX-CG50 helps pupils to learn intuitively the relationship between formulas and graphs that calculate spheres and cylinders. The device can display up to three types of 3D graphs overlaid on one screen. Besides, users can visualise the cross section of the sphere.

Advanced tool for mathematics and science teaching
CASIO's new FX-CG50 is not only useful in mathematics, it is also highly suitable for experiments in physics and chemistry lessons. The calculator can simply be connected to the data collection interface C-Lab¹ in order to measure data by means of various sensors such as temperature or distance. In addition, triaxial acceleration can easily be calculated using the FX-CG50. Connected to the C-Lab, which is equipped with Auto ID recognition, the calculator automatically recognises the type of sensor connected. The results of the measurements can be displayed as graphs on the calculator's display.

CASIO offers reliable calculators with attractive design
The product's design is a facelift of the successful model FX-CG20. The body has been coated with a special finish, thereby enhancing the elegant surface and design. In addition, keys in a metal look emanate a sense of quality.

Casio Computer developed the world's first graphing calculator FX-7000G in 1985. It was able to display graphs of various mathematical expressions. In 2010, the colour graphing calculator FX-CG20 was released, equipped with a Picture Plot application. Continuously developing its school and graphing calculators, CASIO is a reliable partner contributing to modern mathematics education.
Judging by the screenshots, and as expected, internally the OS is probably not very different from the one on the fx-CG 10/20.

The screen resolution, memory size, etc. are all the same as on the fx-CG 20, judging by the DynaTech page.

The Main Menu went through a major redesign, but the apps appear to still have the same icon size, 92x64 (but they are carefully crafted so that graphics don't go behind the text, except for the blue background on selected apps). The key shortcut indicator overlays are now drawn slightly lower and to the left. Other than that, and eventually some adjustments to the scrollbar, this redesign seems to have been carefully conceived to avoid updates to the code that draws the Main Menu - all they had to do is replace the images. The icons grid is still drawn at exactly the same coordinates.
From the Main Menu alone, I don't see anything indicating add-in support is gone... (even though I believe it is). TeamFX, care to elaborate?

Here are the Main Menus overlayed:

The fonts appear to be all the same - yes, including the horrible PrintXY font where the only thing that looks nice are numbers and symbols. Apparently they have not messed with the graphic style for the 3-bit and 1-bit graphics.

The backgrounds for built-in apps appear to have been revamped, as far as the C-Lab screenshot seems to indicate.

I actually like the style changes; I have always felt the dark, glossy, metal-inspired theme of the Main Menu on the fx-CG 10/20 provided a too jarring of a transition from the rest of the OS, which is mostly white. The new icons have a flat design instead of a highly-detailed plastic 3D appearance that throws us back to the WinXP days. The new backgrounds (judging by C-Lab...) also have a simpler, flat if you wish, style. Small changes that make the UI look much better IMO.

From the Dynatech page:
Quote:
Symbolischer Löser (Lösung mit Umformschritten) - ja

CAS? Confused
If confirmed, that explains why there's no exam mode saying on the case... they simply are not targeting that market.
But I think this is either an error, or it doesn't mean what I think it does.

Quote:
Erweiterbare Funktionalität durch Applikationen - ja

(probably fake add-ins)

I don't see anything here that would require a faster processor - the 3D graphics don't look that demanding (especially since you're apparently limited to a selection of function types - plane, sphere... to their credit, they are rendered in full-color mode!), and we already had Graph3DP on the CG 10/20 proving it was possible... - so I think they are still using the SH7305 at 58 MHz
Quote:
From the Main Menu alone, I don't see anything indicating add-in support is gone...

Old add-ins will break their refurbished main menu design. They could, however, provide new icons for official add-ins in the OS and they could also provide a default icon for unofficial or semi-official add-ins, but I doubt they will bother themselves with that.

Quote:
I actually like the style changes

It's basically the fx-CP400 main menu design: https://edu.casio.com/products/cg/cp2/images/overview/img01_01.png

Quote:
Symbolischer Löser (Lösung mit Umformschritten) - ja

Same text on the fx-CG20 page. Perhaps an error.
TeamFX wrote:
Quote:
From the Main Menu alone, I don't see anything indicating add-in support is gone...

Old add-ins will break their refurbished main menu design.

Well, of course - I think everyone agrees that style inconsistencies would be the least of our problems. Even if this new calc has support for actual add-ins, i.e. native code that runs from files in the storage memory, I highly doubt anything will run as-is. (but yeah, if they cared about 3rd party development and/or the ability for people to transfer files with previous models, including official add-ins, they would make it so... the Prizm has a MMU, and add-ins use virtual memory and syscalls, so all the pieces are in place for the perfect compatibility with previous generations, even if a layer is needed. But just like with your default icon ideas... they don't bother)

Quote:
It's basically the fx-CP400 main menu design: https://edu.casio.com/products/cg/cp2/images/overview/img01_01.png

Actually, it's an evolution of that design. The fx-CP400 menu icons still have some glass/glossy effect on them, and the menu scrolls in a different way. The icons are also different.

Quote:
Same text on the fx-CG20 page. Perhaps an error.

Well, I ported Eigenmath to the CG 20, so in a way, it's not an error... Rolling Eyes
I believe many of the Dynatech specs are incorrect by simply being copied from fxcg20 like weight, dimensions, batteries but I agree with gbl08ma's observation regarding screen and icons resolution and possible addin support even so I don't think we can rely on Dynatech reference to expandable functionality...

Question please: Does clab or ea-200 indicate 3-pin cable support or are they connected via usb given mentioning of auto id... I disregard Dynatech specs about calc to calc cable because I think they have not updated them properly
I think we are just going to have to wait and see what more information Casio will release. I agree that many specs are unknown and I am sure the calculator has different dimensions and weight.
More details in many languages on casio sites: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/products/school-and-graphic-calculators/graphic-calculator/fx-cg50/

At a glance

The large, high-resolution colour display with natural illustration shows fractions, square roots and other numerical expressions in the same way as they appear in maths textbooks.

3D-Graph
E-CON4
Catalogue Function
High-resolution colour display with over 65,000 colours
8 lines with 21 characters
Innovative image plot application for photo and video analysis
7 colours can be used in various applications
Colour-coding to simplify understanding
Natural V.P.A.M. – natural input and output
Solve equations with integral, differential and probability functions
Solve overdetermined and underdetermined equations
Matrix operations
Vector analysis
Unit conversion
Random simulations
Dynamic integral area
Pre-installed geometry add-in
eActivity
Simple to connect to a PC as a USB mass storage device
Backlighting
Formulary as an add-in

Technical Specifications

Display
Natural display: Natural V.P.A.M.
Colour: over 65,000 colors
Lines x positions: 8 x 21
Display size (in pixels): 216 x 384
Backlighting

Memory
Available RAM/Flash ROM memory: 61 kB/16 MB
Value/constant memory: 28
Recall of last input

Basic mathematics
Scientific notation: 10+2
Sin, cos, tan, and inverse
Hyperbolic functions and inverse
Degree, radian and gradian conversion
Sexagesimal < > decimal conversion
Polar < > perpendicular conversion
Unit conversions
Calculations to the power of n
Exponential and logarithmic functions
Value tables
Linear equation systems: up to 6
Higher-order polynomial equations: until 6 degrees
Logical operators (AND/OR/etc.)
Complex number calculation
Interactive equation solver
Matrices
REF/RREF function
Repeat/response memory
Recursive sequences
GCD and LCM function
Remainder calculation

Graphic representation
Number of rectangular functions: 20
Number of parametric functions: 20
Number of polar functions: 20
X=f(y) graph
Inequalities
Zoom, trace function
Conics mode
Dynamic geometry software: preinstalled / Add-In
3D graphics: preinstalled / Add-In

Statistics
Mean value, standard deviation
Linear regression
Median, quartiles
Descriptive statistics
Combinatorics and permutation
Regression models: 12
Histograms, dispersion
Box and whisker plots
Pie chart/bar chart
Number of lists: 26x6
Max. list length: 999
Assessment statistics
Random number generator
Random integers
Chi-square, ANOVA, F-test
Z and T interval tests
Probability simulations
Probability distributions

Differential and integral calculus
Numerical integral calculus
Numerical differential calculus
Dynamic integral area
Roots, points of intersection and free choice as integral calculation boundaries
Maximum, minimum

Programming
Formula memory
Programming/user-defined
String function

Financial mathematics
N, %, i, PV, PMT, FV
Amortisation
Conversion of percentage <> effective interest rate
Interest and compound interest calculation
Annuity maturity date
Day/date calculations
Loans
Depreciation
Investment evaluation
Cost/profit margin calculation

Other
Additional calculator applications/add-ins
Operating system updates available
Password protection
Spreadsheet calculations
Physium application: Add-In
Image plot application: preinstalled / Add-In
eActivity
Catalogue function
Hard protective case
Computer-to-calculator cable: included
Automatic shut-off
PC connectivity available: included
Identical emulator software: optional
C-Lab connection possible / ECON
Main battery: 4 x AAA
Size (H x W x D mm): 20,6 x 89,5 x 188,5
Weight: 230 g

Availability of models and/or lineups may differ depending on the country or region.
Technical amendments and errors excepted. The sizes in figures do not correspond to the original sizes.
The colours may differ slightly from the original.
We can see they have ported over some of the functionality that was provided by official add-ins on the previous models. They just have it scattered all over the technical specs list...

Quote:
Pre-installed geometry add-in
Dynamic geometry software: preinstalled / Add-In [same as above?]
Image plot application: preinstalled / Add-In
Physium application: Add-In
Random simulations [I assume this is Prob Sim]
Unit conversion [This was never a real add-in...]

Apparently some new functionality also comes as add-in:
Quote:
3D graphics: preinstalled / Add-In
Formulary as an add-in

Quote:
Additional calculator applications/add-ins

Yeah, yeah... it's brainstorming time.

These are all the official add-ins for the fx-CG 10/20:
Conv.g3a - 29180 bytes [doesn't count]
Geometry.g3a - 764720 bytes
Physium.g3a - 1813180 bytes [largely because of the many full-color images]
PictPlot.g3a - 83636 bytes
ProbSim.g3a - 404573 bytes [largely because of the many animations]

The total size, not counting the conversion add-in (which if done away with, wouldn't even need a main menu icon), is about 3 MB. This includes headers, which are mostly icons, and these need to go somewhere if the app is to be shown on the Main Menu.

On the fx-CG 10/20, which has a 32 MB flash chip, roughly 16 MB are used for the storage memory. One sector, 128 KB, is used for the bootloader. Three sectors (384 KB) are used for Main Memory backups. One sector (128 KB) is used for owner information (Utilities can show you the info contained in this sector). One sector (128 KB) is used to store the currently selected add-in language, if any (they could have used the MMU and map the g3l dynamically, but they apparently didn't). I believe at least the stack and heap for the currently running app are also copied to the flash. This leaves us with about 14 MB left for the OS. That includes code (obviously), built-in graphics and languages. But at least in older OS versions, not all of that appeared to be used - I'm not sure how things are now after vector calc, the exam mode, etc. were implemented, but IIRC in earlier versions they left a nice buffer of about 1 MB unused for future expansions. TeamFX can probably give us better numbers, it's been a while and the docs I have aren't helping.

Moving on to fx-CG 50 theories...

Since the storage memory is apparently still 16 MB on the fx-CG 50, let's assume they are still using a 32 MB flash (the next logical size would be 64 MB; I'm pretty sure the OS doesn't take 48 MB and it would be very mean of them to artificially limit the storage memory by over half of the possible capacity - oh wait, fx-CG 20 AU...).

So, where did they put 3 MB of add-ins + the new 3D graphs code + the new E-CON4 code?
Did they finally decide to compress graphics, or did they cut down on them (Physium for example is still useful without KB and KB of stock images...)?
(Do they still have two identical copies of the shutdown logo?)
Are they still wasting a whole sector to owner info?
Are they still wasting a whole sector to language add-ins - wait, are language add-ins still supported? (perhaps my previous subtle allusion to the problems of null-terminated strings gave them ideas?)
Or most interestingly... maybe the answer is to optionally put some of that code in storage memory, and we have a name for that... real add-ins? I guess we'll find out soon Smile
The reserved OS code/data size is 0xB60000.

0xB60000..0xB80000 is reserved for add-in languages.
0xB80000..0xBE0000 is reserved for MCS backups.
0xBE0000..0xC00000 is reserved for user name and organization.
0xC00000..0x2000000 is reserved for user data.

Don't ask me why the actual user area is 20 MB in size.

In OS 2.01 and later, all OS code/data must end before address 0xB20000 as this is where some exam mode information will be stored.
Actual OS 2.02 data ends roughly at address 0x70F9A0. So this gives about 4 MB of free space left.
That is more that I thought. If on the fx-CG 20 there were 4 MB left then for the fx-CG 50 I can see Casio putting there all the code and assets that were previously stored in g3as, plus the new 3D graphing code and other OS enhancements. And they can probably reduce the user area from 20 MB to just over 16 MB...
Furthermore, a bit of effort in size optimization can go a long way (from eliminating dead code, to eliminating duplicate assets, and finally compressing them... there's probably an easy 1 MB to be made there).

The only good news to come out of this, is that with add-ins gone, 3 MB of the storage memory would now be free for data... in Casio's formats only, as there would be no chance for e.g. a third-party image viewer.

I should probably take some hours to put myself in "Casio mode" again to finally collect all the bits of memory maps, both of flash and RAM, that have been made throughout the years, and put them together in one place, in the Prizm wiki.
Comparing http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/products/school-and-graphic-calculators/graphic-calculator/fx-cg20/ vs http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/products/school-and-graphic-calculators/graphic-calculator/fx-cg50/ shows no deletions and only the following additions for fx-cg50:

• 3D-Graph
• E-CON4
• Catalogue Function
o 3D graphics: preinstalled / Add-In
o Catalogue function

so my conclusion still is that those new details were released without being properly updated by Casio.

On one hand I fully expect FX-CG series to maintain existing addin functionality (I even wonder if 3D graphing will be an add-in in itself hopefully even loadable on FX-CG20) so that OS can be shared between FX-CG10/20 and 50...

I still doubt very much dimensions would have stayed exactly the same for the newer model and I think AAA batteries would have been gone to make the new model more compact too. So I think we need to wait longer still to have more details
French model: Graph 90+ E

http://casio.ledudu.com/pockets.asp?type=3681&lg=eng
http://www.ldlc.be/fiche/PB00222388.html

Cute but yellow/orange letters above keys may be difficult to read on white background
Please Casio, new official SDK and addin support.

A calculator that can't run compiled code, is not good at all.

If they make it third party addin compatible, this will be a very nice development platform
one of links for the French model has the following
Weight: 272 g
Dimensions: 17 x 185 x 87 mm

I still think it is too big and heavy.
Making the 3D graph part an add-in, fake or not, would have the advantage of making it easy to disable to comply with any exam regulations where 3D graphing abilities are disallowed, but document visualization is allowed (making the exam mode too restrictive as it blocks access to files). Like with the Conversion add-in on the fx-CG 10/20.

Speaking of complicated version names... of course they had to change the model name for the French version, as is tradition. They sure know how to add to the confusion...

I think there's an extremely low chance that the OS can be shared between the fx-CG 50 and the 10/20. At very very most, it can be ported to the older models, and that's assuming it doesn't require twice the RAM.
Similarly, while the new catalog and E-CON4 may come to the 10/20 one day, I highly doubt 3D graphing will make its way there. Besides being a major selling point of the new model, it may require a much faster CPU and possibly more RAM.
The Graph 90+E's price tag is very high, especially for an almost certainly closed platform...
Vote with your wallet, if after a year or two the sales numbers don't match Casio's expectations, they'll either scrap the model or lower its price...
I imagine the French market is quite important for them, for it to make sense to manufacture different cases and marketing materials for the Graph 90+E instead of simply using the "worldwide" models.

Note that they seem to have given up on the idea of having a separate model for the American market, as there's no fx-CG 10 counterpart to the CG 50 (unless it's yet to be announced, or perhaps they won't launch it in the USA at all...).
I think the first announcement was for US with $99 recommended price
gbl08ma wrote:
Vote with your wallet, if after a year or two the sales numbers don't match Casio's expectations, they'll either scrap the model or lower its price...

Btw, Casio has discontinued the fx-FD10 Pro which was launched in 2014: http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/calc/pastmodels/
This model was very expensive...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours