Pieman7373 wrote:
Oh yeah, they can't see the other stuff that i helped with yet Razz

Well, others might have already seen them, the berry bush, trees etc Smile
Oh, true! Razz
Those look incredible! I should start hiring you to do sprites in some of my games. Razz
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
Those look incredible! I should start hiring you to do sprites in some of my games. Razz

I will gladly help you calcnerd, free of charge! Razz

Credits goes to Pieman Smile
So I decided to take a break with this project. I've currently too many things around, my study isn't going well, and I've a lot of programming projects going. Since this project is pretty hard, and I need to overcome some hard things, I decided to move away from this. Don't worry, of course I will still keep it, in case I'm less busy, and I'm in the mood again to work on this!
Aww! I was looking forward to the release of this project. Sad But I understand, your studies are more important than this project. I hope you are able to pick it back up once you have everything sorted out! Good luck! Smile
Good luck with your studies, PT_! I'm sad to see that this project is going on hiatus for now, but if it means good things for your studies and potentially for other projects like the site, SourceCoder, ICE, and jsTIfied, I think that will be great for the community as well. Smile
I gonna work on it again! I'm less busy these days, and when Mateo said ConvPNG can export to appvars, I (accidentally) said I can continue AoCE, so now it's finally time to get some nice progress Smile
HOOORAYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Woot!
Okay, now that I said I would work again on it, it's time for some more details, changes, etc.
  • Buildings will get a complete overhaul, they now will be in the shape of isometric tiles, rather than just buildings. This allows buildings to be drawn at the same time as a tile, it just pretends it's a tile, so no lag.
  • I will just make it like normal games, just double-buffering. However, it's unnecessary to redraw the tiles + buildings each frame, only when you move around you need to redraw it. That is why I gonna use a third buffer with the temp tiles + buildings. Instead of redrawing all the tiles and buildings, it just copies the temp buffer to the buffer, which would save much time. However, moving would be slower in this case.
  • Each player will be limited to either 75 or 100 puppets. This is mainly to not cause lag by updating too many puppets, and to save RAM. Each puppet (soldier/volunteer/whatever) has some properties, i.e. health, upgrades, location, business and more.
  • When you send a puppet to a certain location, it first finds it's way to it, and then it will store the parth somewhere in RAM. Thus, when walking, he only needs to get the next location instead of recalculating the path everytime.
  • My minimum FPS would be 10, if I can't get the framerate about 10, I won't continue it, then it's not playable.
  • More are coming, once I'm busy with this project Very Happy
Okay, this sounds great!!

***Pieman7373 offers his services
Regarding the pathing of the 'puppets', don't forget that other puppets' movements and the creation of buildings might force those paths to be recomputed, so you'll still have to do collision detection and recalculate the path if a collision happens.
Buildings work Very Happy

Yay! Go PT_!

I can't wait for this to get out.

By the way, any estimates on size, so I can decide whether or not to get Cesuim so I can run this from the archives?
I try to keep it under the 25kB (for now I have 2 graphics appvars, one of 35kB, the other of 4kB, and the main program < 4kB). You *can* archive the appvars... but AoCE will unarchive them, again to gain speed Razz I will find a nice solution for this. Probably I will copy the entire RAM to flash, and then use the 256kB RAM for AoCE itself, since it needs a lot of memory Wink
PT_ wrote:
You *can* archive the appvars... but AoCE will unarchive them, again to gain speed Razz I will find a nice solution for this. Probably I will copy the entire RAM to flash, and then use the 256kB RAM for AoCE itself, since it needs a lot of memory Wink

Isn't there a way to have a program read from Archive? I know Cesium can do that, so you might want to ask Mateo, as there might be a way to convert the command from Asm to C.

Although I do like the copying to RAM idea. However, if the calc loses power, there it all goes. Also, does this support a save function yet, or will it be implemented?

Best of luck!
This isn't really a sustainable design... Constantly archiving and unarchiving that much data and wearing down flash that much is completely unnecessary Razz Also note that reading sprites from flash to vram is faster than ram to vram so the argument rather falls apart there Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Also note that reading sprites from flash to vram is faster than ram to vram so the argument rather falls apart there Razz

This is incorrect. Reading from RAM takes 4 cycles. In practice, reading from RAM take slightly longer than this on average due to LCD DMA, but still perhaps only ~4.2 cycles. Reading from flash (safely) takes 9 cycles, maybe 8.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours