Nice one! Looking back to it, I think I may have missed the point in your question.

What will happen if you have animated sprites with your method? Assuming that the user does not scroll the view, will you be able to display the animations without redrawing the entire screen?
Cool! A game in graphics! Keep up the good work! Definitely enter this into a contest. 100% my vote! Smile
Lephe wrote:
Nice one! Looking back to it, I think I may have missed the point in your question.

What will happen if you have animated sprites with your method? Assuming that the user does not scroll the view, will you be able to display the animations without redrawing the entire screen?

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) you could just redraw the tiles and buildings in an immediate area.
I'm not so sure about it. Let's say that some pixel covered by the current frame or your animated farmer is not covered by the next frame. You'd have to redraw the building that's just behind the farmer, right?

Now let's say that there's a house next to that building (in the bottom-right direction on the screen). Redrawing the building would trash the house because of the isometric view, so you need to also redraw the house. Which may well trash something else in turn, all the way to the edge of the screen.

Depending on the size of the tiles and buildings (and thus the possibilities of having overlapping sprites in different directions), I think it's possible that the entire screen could need to be redrawn.

In any case, not being able to animate by re-drawing only an immediate area feels like a burden on performance.
(Sorry for double posting.) Here is an animation that illustrates what I mean. I think it shows pretty clearly how much a naive approach can degenerate.

PT_ wrote:
I found a way to display them, thanks for all the replies! Have some more eye-candy: Smile

Are we gonna get any info on the solution you used? Or should we just look through your C code?
Any updates, PT_?
Sorry, should have pointed out that I found a way to properly display them. The units are just stored to the tilemap data with a linked list to eventually more units at the same tile. I'm currently working on changing the buildings to allow multiple teams, i.e. recollection the team colors when necessary. Smile
Time for a quick update! I selected and edited all the sprites for the units AoCE has, and managed to fit it in 2 (full) appvars. This means that in the final game you need to transfer 8 appvars + AOCE to your calc Rolling Eyes Luckily everything can be put in the archive, which means you won't lose RAM. Outside of that, if AoCE crashes for some reason (which might be very likely once I start adding stuff..), there is no memory leak, and your entire RAM is saved. Smile

Looks Really good PT_ Very Happy Any guess to when this will be released on Cemetech, instead of you having to build it yourself? Confused

P.S. Keep up the good work! Idea
Legoman314 wrote:
Looks Really good PT_ Very Happy Any guess to when this will be released on Cemetech, instead of you having to build it yourself? Confused

P.S. Keep up the good work! Idea

Thanks! Whenever it's ready, so probably in a few months Razz
Nice to see further progress Wink

(and test post)
AoCE is now an app! Very Happy

I entirely switched to fasmg, which was a horrible move, but now it's much better. You don't need spasm anymore to build it, just download the C toolchain.
App?! Mind blown!!! (Does this mean ICE will become an App in the future?) Also, will you add a 'sandbox' mode, like Minecraft Creative (Infinite resources, or just a huge amount...)?
Wow! It's coming along very nicely! How big is it right now? (file size?)

I also like SM84CE's idea of Creative Mode. Smile
Yay! You are using my sprites, PT_ Smile
SM84CE wrote:
App?! Mind blown!!! (Does this mean ICE will become an App in the future?) Also, will you add a 'sandbox' mode, like Minecraft Creative (Infinite resources, or just a huge amount...)?

Yep, it will be an app. And I like that idea! Smile

jcgter777 wrote:
Wow! It's coming along very nicely! How big is it right now? (file size?)

I also like SM84CE's idea of Creative Mode. Smile

AoCE itself is like 9kB, but the appvars are... 340kB? Rolling Eyes
So I tried to build AoCE, and when I did 'make' (after 'make gfx'), I got this:

Code:
Error: illegal instruction.
make: *** [bin/AOCE.8xp] Error 2

Any explanations? I redownloaded the repo, but still got that error. I also updated my C toolchain before any of this...
SM84CE wrote:

Code:

Any explanations? I redownloaded the repo, but still got that error. I also updated my C toolchain before any of this...

Same happened to me, I'm not sure what to do about it. Sad
SM84CE wrote:

Code:

Please provide me more information. In what file was that error, which line? Did you download the latest AoCE?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours