» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Say hello to my newest game! Very Happy

As you can hopefully see, it's a remake of the popular game Age of Empires for the calculator. I only have AoE II, so that's why I port that game. It's currently written in assembly, and I made it an app such that you don't have to worry about free RAM. I already have an idea about an AI, and hopefully I can add multiplayer as well, in a later stadium. Currently the game consists of the main program and 8 huge appvars, which all can stay in flash luckily.

Btw:
Razz

To-Do-List:
  • Display units
  • Unit actions (fighting, walking...)
  • Scheduling events (disappear killed unit after 5 seconds etc)
  • Resources stuff
  • Gameplay GUI
    • Minimap
    • Building/unit actions (i.e. move to other place, destroy, kill, create units)
    • Game options (save, quit)

• Pathfinding
  • Putting everything together
  • AI's
  • AI creator/editor
  • (Multiplayer)
This looks very nice!
You've done a good job at making me wax nostalgic with that isometric view.
I haven't been able to play that game on the computer in ages...lol...This is so cool! Good luck!!
The isometric view is very nice - how long did it take to get this off the ground?
Well, I hope you can really write good C, 'cause you're gonna need all of it Cool

union fields! triple void pointers! include guards! inlines! volatiles! ALL OF THEM
Thanks guys Smile
tr1p1ea wrote:
The isometric view is very nice - how long did it take to get this off the ground?

Not very long, I started experimenting with some diamond shapes, and I figured out that they only fit well into each other (and looks nice) if the edge has the slope of 1/2, so 2 pixels to the left/right and 1 pixel up/down, so then I got a perfect diamond shape, and lucky me, the buildings of the original AoE 2 seems to have the same ratio Cool
I got some buildings ready:

- Barracks
- Farm
- House
- Lumbercamp
- Mill (yes, mill!)
- Miningcamp
- Towncenter
That is awesome! i love how you are using the sprites from the real game! Very nostalgic for me, i haven't played AoE II in at least 2-3 years, but i love it just the same! Keep up the good work PT_! Very Happy
Woo! I too like the sprites, very nice work Smile I know how much you dislike C, but there's always time to learn Razz Anywho, keep it up!
This looks amazing PT_! Smile I've never played AoE before, but I think I'll give it a try.
Have you experimenting with downscaling yet? Just to clarify the statements in the first post, I'm really sad that I haven't gotten to work on Civilization Simulator II, the copyright name-free "Age of Empires" clone sequel to my Civilization Simulator (which used to be called Age of Empires, and was featured on ticalc.org). I'm glad someone has the time! I've offered to coauthor this with PT_, but at present he'd prefer to do it by himself. Smile Best of luck!
KermMartian wrote:
Have you experimenting with downscaling yet? Just to clarify the statements in the first post, I'm really sad that I haven't gotten to work on Civilization Simulator II, the copyright name-free "Age of Empires" clone sequel to my Civilization Simulator (which used to be called Age of Empires, and was featured on ticalc.org). I'm glad someone has the time! I've offered to coauthor this with PT_, but at present he'd prefer to do it by himself. Smile Best of luck!

No, is that necessary? I think graphics would be fine too without downscaling. And yeah, I prefer to do this alone Smile
Btw, I stepped off C, and decided to make this in ASM with the C libs included.
PT_ wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Have you experimenting with downscaling yet?
No, is that necessary? I think graphics would be fine too without downscaling.
You'll be able to see extremely little of the map at the current zoom level. By downscaling I mean the ability to zoom out, which would help a lot.
PT_ wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I've offered to coauthor this with PT_, but at present he'd prefer to do it by himself. Smile Best of luck!

And yeah, I prefer to do this alone Smile
Btw, I stepped off C, and decided to make this in ASM with the C libs included.
Makes sense; that sounds like quite a challenge. I can't wait to see how it moves along.
Progress so far:

- Rendering of all the buildings is ready, I only need to add one thing, and that is when the building is entirely offscreen, it would skip the decompression + displaying part, to save speed.
- Resources (Wood, food, gold, stone) + population/max population at the top of the screen.

The crash at the end only happened special for this screenshot.

Oh, and my lil' bro said the lumbercamp and the miningcamp are 2x2 tiles, so I need to change that.

EDIT:
That looks great, sir! It seems that the rendering is not the fastest yet? How big is that binary with those sprites? I assume you don't yet have the stripe of the team color as a special color value that can be replaced with the actual team color (eg, magenta)? I remain convinced that zooming out will be a vital addition.
KermMartian wrote:
That looks great, sir! It seems that the rendering is not the fastest yet?

Yep..... The next step is optimizing this all and make it like 5-10 FPS or so Wink
KermMartian wrote:
How big is that binary with those sprites?

65kB
KermMartian wrote:
I assume you don't yet have the stripe of the team color as a special color value that can be replaced with the actual team color (eg, magenta)?

Nope
KermMartian wrote:
I remain convinced that zooming out will be a vital addition.

That is for later care Wink
The idea is defenently yours ;)
( https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13217&highlight= )

Anyway, that was awfull xd
Working on the graphical version now ;)

If only i had a CE to play that :s
KermMartian wrote:

To be honest, for most games, I think it's unnecessary to have the option to zoom in/out. Yes, its always a nice addition, but AoCE probably doesn't need it.
The nice thing about really embedded hardware like calculators is that the loading times are very predictable, so you can have some sort of cheap intro animation while the game loads in the background. But to be honest, I'd rather prefer a minimalistic loading screen, like FTL where there's just a simple progress bar in the middle of the screen.
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

To be honest, for most games, I think it's unnecessary to have the option to zoom in/out. Yes, its always a nice addition, but AoCE probably doesn't need it.

Its not about whether or not it is needed for the gameplay, its about sprite scaling in C. I think the interesting part about implementing a zoom feature is figuring out how on earth to scale the sprites, rather than the actual change that it brings to the game (because having all the sprites for all sizes just isn't an option)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours