Hey Guys,
I have a quick question? I am probably going to get another calculator this week, (I already have a TI83+), and I am wondering which TI84 model I should get. I am getting quite good at basic and hybrid basic programming, and I have programming almost entirely in mind with the next calc I get.

I know I would be very familiar with the TI84 plus SE, and I like that xLib works with it. However, the TI84CE looks really tempting. Are there xLIb or similar libraries for it?

Thanks for your input, Very Happy
Josiah
Okay, so as of now, there aren't the same libs available on the ti-84 plus CE and the ti-84 plus SE,(xLIBCE, Celtic, Omnicalc are examples of things that have not been ported or have not yet been released as of now for the CE) However, there are some noteworthy libraries available such as CE TextLib and the very popular C libraries. There is definitely a lot of things that have already been made for the ti-84 plus SE, which you could use as a hybrid-basic programmer, whether it be shells, libs or hex opcodes, and there are a ton of very interesting projects like Grammer, Basic Builder, Axe Parser and even a globalCALCnet, which are available on the ti-84 plus SE, but not on the ti-84 plus CE. On the other hand, the CE is a very popular model and there is therefore a large and growing community building wonderful things for it (see Oiram CE and ICE compiler)
I personally think you should go with the CE because of four main reasons:
    1) It has a color screen
    2) It has more memory
    3) Some of the monochrome's most popular libs are currently being ported to the CE
    4) It is faster (Its processor is clocked at 2-3 times the speed of its monochrome counterpart)
Definitely get the CE. Though it doesn't have quite as much games and programs as other calculators, it soon will. And, it will soon have the option for hybrid basic programming, once Kerm completes Doors CE 9 (cough cough).
The TI-84 Plus CE is definitely more programmable, particularly since there are plenty of C resources available. Most activity lately has focused on the TI-84 Plus CE, particularly given the ease of C development compared to writing assembly on earlier Z80-based calculators. C also opens the doors for more advanced routines being made available in any new hybrid BASIC libraries. The TI-84 Plus C SE is limited by its miserable performance with its display, and is not directly compatible with many programs written for its monochrome predecessors. The TI-84 Plus / TI-84 Plus SE is not a big jump from the TI-83 Plus; since both the TI-84 Plus SE and TI-84 Plus CE are close in price, it's more justifiable to spend the money on the latter.
Thanks for your input, guys! I'll go with the CE then. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours