Do you think this will be possible?
yes
 100%  [ 10 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Caleb_J wrote:
Also, my distance to next landmark went all wonky; could you fix this please?
It happened right after I hit my first landmark.

Will do Caleb. It's probably something to do with the randomly generated landmark distance function. ICE doesn't like it when variables go below 0, so it displays a bunch of "wonky text". Thanks for the report Very Happy
Ok. Thanks for everything you're doing OldNewTimer; it is really appreciated. can't wait to download the updated version!

Code:

While OldNewTimer_is_working=1
Karma+1->Karma
End

Because you are reallly cool.
Happy 4th everyone!

I've again taken all of your bug reports and have compiled the (hopefully) final version of Beta. After many tests the program seems to be stable, with no game-breaking bugs to be seen. I've also improved the food consumption system to make food last longer. For a full list of the changes please see changelog.txt in the Zip file.

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4noIH9Cwy0PaVZnUDZKMFRBbnc

PLEASE NOTE: If you want to continue a game from a previous build, store L1 into L6.
The game doesn't work now.

Sorry I had to do that. Laughing It's actually working fairly well so far.

A few minor ReadMe typo's:
TheLastMillenial is actually spelled TheLastMillennial (two n's) Smile
Recipie is spelled Recipe

Game freezing bug:
'Repair wagon' freeze is still present.

Hunting bug:
When the cursor is at the far left side of the screen you cant move it back to the right (you can move it up and down). If you press the left arrow key again though it takes the cursor to the other side of the screen. However, you can't make the cursor jump over to the left side of the screen by going too far to the right.

Misc. Bug:
When you try to continue the trail with no save file, it immediately says that 'your stuck'. If you choose 'give up' it doubles the screen again. If you choose give up again, it quits.

Suggestions:
1. Maybe add an auto save feature where every 250 miles or so the game saves to L5 so if the game freezes and you haven't saved in a while, your progress isn't completely lost.
(Though actually taking the time and effort to save the game every once in a while is a good idea for certain beta testers) /me glares at himself

2. What happened to prgmAORG? Now there is a new ASM program, prgmOFILES, but I'm not sure what it does besides boot up the game.

3. when hunting, the animals sometimes clip inside of the green boarder on the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to make the animals disappear when they touch the green area?

Even though there are still several bugs, I still love what you've done with the game! Very Happy
Thanks again for the bug reports!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
A few minor ReadMe typo's:
TheLastMillenial is actually spelled TheLastMillennial (two n's) Smile
Recipie is spelled Recipe

Fixed Them Very Happy

TheLastMillennial wrote:
Game freezing bug:
'Repair wagon' freeze is still present.

Actually fixed it this time! The problem was this:

Code:

remainder(rand,3)->X
Lbl FIXX
               If X=1
                  det(2,7)
                  det(42,0,100,320,50)
                  det(18,"Repaired!",110,110
                  Pause
                  Goto USAT
               End
               If X=2
                  det(2,7)
                  det(42,0,100,320,50)
                  det(18,"Couldn't Repair!",100,110
                  Pause
                  Goto NORE
               End
Goto FIXX

If X=0, what happens? Razz

TheLastMillennial wrote:
Hunting bug:
When the cursor is at the far left side of the screen you cant move it back to the right (you can move it up and down). If you press the left arrow key again though it takes the cursor to the other side of the screen. However, you can't make the cursor jump over to the left side of the screen by going too far to the right. When hunting, the animals sometimes clip inside of the green boarder on the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to make the animals disappear when they touch the green area?

Working on that right now! It has something to do with the boundaries. Very Happy

TheLastMillennial wrote:
Misc. Bug:
When you try to continue the trail with no save file, it immediately says that 'your stuck'. If you choose 'give up' it doubles the screen again. If you choose give up again, it quits.

I'll make it so that it won't load the file if all values are zero Smile.

TheLastMillennial wrote:
Maybe add an auto save feature where every 250 miles or so the game saves to L5 so if the game freezes and you haven't saved in a while, your progress isn't completely lost.

I'll see if I can add that.

TheLastMillennial wrote:
What happened to prgmAORG? Now there is a new ASM program, prgmOFILES, but I'm not sure what it does besides boot up the game.

My bad, I accidentally added two of the same file in the source code. It's supposed to add OFILES.8xp and OREGON.8xp to the calc. OREGON.8xp is the Basic file that opens the main game (OFILES.8xp) and saves the data. Instead, it adds two OFILES.8xp. Will fix ASAP Smile
*Bump*

Any news on Beta 1.4? Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:
*Bump*

Any news on Beta 1.4? Smile

I'm almost done with bugfixes for the next beta. I haven't been working on the Oregon Trail much due to my CC:20 projects that are underway. To add some bad news, my parents are decreasing the time I have on the computer, so development will become slower Sad . (Maybe I'll be able to do some secret late-night/early morning coding Confused )
Hello Again Everyone,

I have compiled a new beta version of The Oregon Trail CE Very Happy. Along with some bugfixes, I have added an autosave capability (you can find more info in the Changelog and Installation documents).

Here's The Link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4noIH9Cwy0Pb3BkTnRyRE1OTWc

Thanks again, and hopefully I will add this to the archives soon!

EDIT: Please ignore the fact that the main game screen displays Beta 1.3. The file is the newest version.
Hey, this is really good! Just a few bugs
1. The cursor when hunting wont go all the way to the top, and the left borders.

2. when it said that my 'party has contracted a disease, lose 50 health', my health bar didn't change. (it stayed at 500)

3. The autosave didn't work correctly:
I opened prgmOREGON
I had not saved since starting the game.
I was on day 61 and I pressed the reset button (I had Cesium so everything's ok Smile )
*This may be an OS bug, but it brought me to the homescreen but along with my history, it overlayed and ERROR: Invalid on top of it. It disappeared when I pressed [clear] though
I opened prgmOREGON again
I chose 'End'
I chose 'save game'
I chose 'continue your jouney' wait, that's a game typo, that's suppose to be journey. Razz
It did nothing, just redrew the screen like I had no save file.

One suggestion, when buying supplies such as food and ammunition, maybe you could have a button that immediately gives you 99 of that item instead of waiting for the number to count all the way to 99.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Hey, this is really good! Just a few bugs
1. The cursor when hunting wont go all the way to the top, and the left borders.

2. when it said that my 'party has contracted a disease, lose 50 health', my health bar didn't change. (it stayed at 500)

3. The autosave didn't work correctly:
I opened prgmOREGON
I had not saved since starting the game.
I was on day 61 and I pressed the reset button (I had Cesium so everything's ok Smile )
*This may be an OS bug, but it brought me to the homescreen but along with my history, it overlayed and ERROR: Invalid on top of it. It disappeared when I pressed [clear] though
I chose 'End'
I chose 'save game'
I chose 'continue your jouney' wait, that's a game typo, that's suppose to be journey. Razz
It did nothing, just redrew the screen like I had no save file.

One suggestion, when buying supplies such as food and ammunition, maybe you could have a button that immediately gives you 99 of that item instead of waiting for the number to count all the way to 99.

1. I will try to make that better. (The reason it won't go all the way to the edges is that the cursor will get stuck and move to the other side of the screen. The displacement from the edges was the only solution I could come up with, but I will still look into it).

2. Will do.

3. The Autosave feature only works if your calc's RAM is not reset (Say if you forget to save or the game somehow turns the calc off). Because the TI-Basic variables hold this backup, the values default back to 0 once the calc resets. The only way I see that I can accomplish this would be if ICE could store the variables to a list and then archive it, which it currently can't do without the help of lots of basic programs, which would just be more of a hassle then it's worth. If you have any solutions or tips, please let me know Very Happy .

4. I'll see if I can add that to the store. It should be pretty easy since it was simple to add menu selection with the number keys.
Question: Why only 99 items at a time? Why not 100?
Caleb_J wrote:
Question: Why only 99 items at a time? Why not 100?

I haven't really thought of that... I put only 99 so i didn't have to make the value go up to 999, as I thought it would do when I was first learning ICE. I can make the max 100 Smile .
How about fixing when you set your distance high but the landmarks come forward at you at the same pace.
xMarminq_ wrote:
How about fixing when you set your distance high but the landmarks come forward at you at the same pace.

Will do xMarming_ Smile
Now that CC20 is coming to a close, it's time to focus on The Oregon Trail!
It's just about bug free and is coming along nicely. Sadly, I will not be able to work on in this week due to Band Camp (It's from 8AM to 8PM, I play the trumpet).

Since I have nothing to show you guys... here's holeguy, he's a new meme.

Sorry for the large image Razz
*bump*
Band keeping you busy? Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:
*bump*
Band keeping you busy? Smile

Naw, band ended a while ago. I haven't touched the game to be honest, but don't worry, I will finish it Smile. I'm enjoying my last week of Summer Vacation, and hope to finish where I left off when school starts (there isn't much to do, just fix a few more minor bugs). Now that I have all the experience from my CC20 entries under my belt, progress will go much faster Very Happy.
Hello!

I've compiled the newest version of The Oregon Trail. It's mostly minor bug fixes and some added improvements.

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B4noIH9Cwy0PUGNEY2dvWWNybXc

Hopefully I can upload this to the archives soon Smile

EDIT:

I've noticed a little problem myself and some of you guys may be having. When your calculator is running low on power, the game will run very slow (Apparently it uses a lot of power or something Confused ). Plugging your calculator into a power source will automatically fix the problem. Just... don't play it on low battery.
Almost there! Just a few minor bugs! well, 1 major one but never mind that for now. Razz

Graphic bug:
1. The 'day' right before I needed to cross a river, I pressed [Enter]. When I finished and continued on the trail, the river looked like it had passed me and another river was farther down the trail. I know this sounds weird, I tried to pause to get a screenshot, but it made me cross the river, when I made it across, the river ahead was gone.

2. When hunting, there's a out-of-place green bar on the left side of the screen. The animals clip right through it so I'm not sure why it's there.

Trade bug:
I had the option to "trade 1 oxen for 1 oxen" twice in a row (at the same town). Laughing

Loading bug:
1. When I finished hunting (or crossing a river, I don't remember Sad ) When I was finished I accidently pressed [2nd] which saves and quits. I though " no big deal, I'll just restart the game and continue on my journey'. So I did just that, but I remembered I was low on food so I immediately started hunting. I that's when I realized it said I had no ammunition. I checked my statistics, and the only thing that wasn't set back to zero was my 'days on the trail' and my 'miles to Oregon' (that got reset back to 10,000). Even my health was 0.
When I tried to continue on the trail, a bug I reported earlier appeared. I got the menu that says 'you're stuck'. When I pressed 'give up' it doubled the screen, when I pressed that again it quit the program.

Hunt suggestion:
Maybe change the amount of food received per animal down to 20 instead of 25. Normally I gather 100 food pretty fast and then I'm just waiting for the hunting period to be up.

Good luck. Wink
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Graphic bug:
1. The 'day' right before I needed to cross a river, I pressed [Enter]. When I finished and continued on the trail, the river looked like it had passed me and another river was farther down the trail. I know this sounds weird, I tried to pause to get a screenshot, but it made me cross the river, when I made it across, the river ahead was gone.

Simple fix. It has to do with the pacing of the wagon and stuff.

TheLastMillennial wrote:
2. When hunting, there's a out-of-place green bar on the left side of the screen. The animals clip right through it so I'm not sure why it's there.

I added that because the cursor can't go there, I will try to stop the animals from going in/out of it.

TheLastMillennial wrote:
Trade bug:
I had the option to "trade 1 oxen for 1 oxen" twice in a row (at the same town). 0x5

Not a bug, just a really bad trade. Razz
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Loading bug:
1. When I finished hunting (or crossing a river, I don't remember Sad ) When I was finished I accidently pressed [2nd] which saves and quits. I though " no big deal, I'll just restart the game and continue on my journey'. So I did just that, but I remembered I was low on food so I immediately started hunting. I that's when I realized it said I had no ammunition. I checked my statistics, and the only thing that wasn't set back to zero was my 'days on the trail' and my 'miles to Oregon' (that got reset back to 10,000). Even my health was 0.

There must be a problem with the saving system, I will look into it.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
When I tried to continue on the trail, a bug I reported earlier appeared. I got the menu that says 'you're stuck'. When I pressed 'give up' it doubled the screen, when I pressed that again it quit the program.

The corrupt Savefile did that, it won't happen once I fix the saving.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Hunt suggestion:
Maybe change the amount of food received per animal down to 20 instead of 25. Normally I gather 100 food pretty fast and then I'm just waiting for the hunting period to be up.

That's one of the really annoying things about the Oregon Trail, but I'm keeping it, as it was in the original game Wink .

Thanks for all the bug feedback TheLastMillennial! It's VERY helpful Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours