Do you think this will be possible?
yes
 100%  [ 10 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

TheLastMillennial wrote:
One bug I noticed after a few minutes of play, it that when you are hunting get food, continue on the trail, then try to hunt again, the 'food' bar doesn't reset back to 0, it stays at how much food you shot last time you hunted and continues to stack every time you hunt. So right now I have unlimited food! Razz

Overall though, amazing work! looks great!

Thanks TheLastMillennial! It was a simple fix, I just had to set the variable to 0. But as they say, more it better Razz
PT_ wrote:
Small thing: in the installing.txt, you have a dot after tiny.cc:

http://tiny.cc./clibs

Fixed it! That would have confused a lot of people Razz
Again small thing: at the end, "Your party has died" was too far shifted to the right, that it doesn't fit on one line.
Okay, just some of my thoughts on the game:

I know you are trying to keep it similar to the original, but I think there are things that you could change to make it better, even if it doesn't follow the original completely.

(The following is in completely random order):

-When you find an abandoned wagon I think the food should be inline with everything else. (ie don't bump the food you looted to the left, bump the word "Food" to the right

-Don't refresh the whole screen when hunting. (save the coords of the animal before you change them, then when you go to redraw the animal place a black rectangle of the animal at the old coords).

-I would make the pacing and food rationing so that you can hit 1, 2 or 3 to change them. Just more intuitive. Or, make it a menu with a selector arrow. (adding the ability to hit the number keys would be nice in the other menus too)

-Add the amount of money you have when you go to buy an item, so that when you're selecting how much to buy you can see how much money you have left

-Make clear and instant quit everywhere in the program. (This is something I just like. I never use pause so that you can quit whenever)

-Show how much food is lost when you rest

-Don't let the cursor go off the screen when hunting

-Add acceleration to the cursor when hunting

-center "Repaired" when you repair your wagon

That's all I have for now (I have to go). unfortunately I didn't get to play very much. Overall, I think it is good.
Okay, as promised I will try to optimize some things, but here are general tips:

80->Y:20->L2(2) can be 20->L2(2)*4->Y

You can replace every FillRectangle with FillRectangle_NoClip.

FillRectangle(0,230,320,240) Why do display such large rectangle? 240 is the height, not the bottom Y Wink You might need FillRectangle(0,230,320,10) I guess.

You don't need SetDefaultPalette, Begin already sets the standard palette.

1->A:0->C can be 1->A-1->C

FillScreen(0):1->A....:FillScreen(255). You can omit both FillScreen, since FillScreen(0) is useless, and the screen is already white by Begin

Code:
If A=110
   110->A
End

Well... Razz

Code:
If A=9
   Return
End
If A=54
   Return
End
->
Code:
If A=9 or A=54
   Return
End

Code:
If A=4
   Y-10->Y
End
If A=1
   Y+10->Y
End
If Y<80
   Y+10->Y
End
If Y>110
   Y-10->Y
End
->
Code:
max(80,min(110,Y-getKey(4)*10+getKey(1)*10->Y

Code:
Lbl GETK
0->A
While A=0
   getKey->A
End
Return
->
Code:
Repeat getKey->A

This code is so small, you can replace the Call GETK with this.

Code:
If Y=80
   1->T
End
If Y=90
   2->T
End
If Y=100
   3->T
End
->
Code:
Y/10-7->T

0->S:0->P can be 0->S->P Razz

C functions arguments can be a full expression:

Code:
remainder(rand,3)->B
L1(1)+B->L1(1)
SetTextXY(50,120)
PrintUInt(B,1)
can be
Code:
SetTextXY(50,120)
PrintUInt(remainder(rand,3)->B,1)
L1(1)+B->L1(1)

These are for now the main optimizations, good luck! Smile
Thanks for all the help PT_! Some of those optimizations are very obvious, but some I would've never thought of Very Happy. I started the Oregon Trail with little to no knowledge of ICE, and am finishing with a lot more. Anyways, I will make the necessary adjustments to the code!
Ha ha! I beat the game against all odds! *

These glitches may be because I haven't been able to update the game so this is v.1.1 I'm playing

Bug 1: what is going on with my food?!
I started the game, chose continue on the trail, chose hunt, I got 100 lbs of meat, I go back to travleing the trail, the food section is all messed up and I never ran out.

Bug 2: I'm not sure if this is actually a bug, but my health got so high is started displaying symbols and then letters in front of it.

Since my pictures are so massive I wont post them here, just a link to them. I'm sorry I didn't realize that some were taken sideways Sad
https://imgur.com/gallery/y2MYP

Edit: also, have you made an icon for this game yet?
* With the assistance of a few glitches Razz
Oops!

I forgot to add caps to how much stuff you can have. If you have too much, it won't display right! Fixing it right now. Thanks!

EDIT: As for food, it kept adding on what you had shot before every time you hunted to the total shot counter. It will be fixed in Beta 1.3 Smile
Hey Guys!

I've taken into account all of your suggestions and bug reports and have compiled yet another beta version of the Oregon Trail, (which will hopefully be the last, third times the charm! Very Happy).

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4noIH9Cwy0PT3hwZlRkVFJ6R2c

I hope (fingers crossed) everything is working fine!

As always, thank you so much for your continued support!
Uh, big problem. if you reinstall the game and do continue on the trail, it decreases the resolution but then does nothing. just a white screen with a huge 'Normal' at the top. You have to reset the calculator to fix it. (thank Mateo's holy lechuga for Cesium Razz)
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Uh, big problem. if you reinstall the game and do continue on the trail, it decreases the resolution but then does nothing. just a white screen with a huge 'Normal' at the top. You have to reset the calculator to fix it. (thank Mateo's holy lechuga for Cesium Razz)

I've run into that problem before and know what's causing it. The previous save files are not usable since I fixed a bug in the saving code. Just delete L1 (The Save File Sad) on your calc and it should be fine. Remember to also install the newest version of "AORG.8xp"

Sorry about the confusion!
oh, one last thing. I was dissatisfied with the ominous lack of a Cesium icon, so I made one for you! Very Happy

I don't know if you know how to include one, or if ICE even supports icons, but here it is:

Code:
::DCS//yes it must have an additional ':' it also must be on the first line of your program
:"3FFF33333333FFF3F000F33FF3FFF00FF0000FE00EF000FFF00300E00E0000F33F0330E00E000F333F0333E00E000F3333F033E00E0000F333F033E00E0000F333F033E00E0000F33337777777777773777777777777777333377DD7777DD7733337D77D77D77D733333D77D33D77D3333333DD3333DD3335555555555555555//must be on the second line of your program. (no extra ':' )
//The rest of your program

I tried to make it as close to your profile picture as I could. Tell me if you like it or not! Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:
oh, one last thing. I was dissatisfied with the ominous lack of a Cesium icon, so I made one for you! Very Happy

I don't know if you know how to include one, or if ICE even supports icons, but here it is:

Code:
::DCS//yes it must have an additional ':' it also must be on the first line of your program
:"3FFF33333333FFF3F000F33FF3FFF00FF0000FE00EF000FFF00300E00E0000F33F0330E00E000F333F0333E00E000F3333F033E00E0000F333F033E00E0000F333F033E00E0000F33337777777777773777777777777777333377DD7777DD7733337D77D77D77D733333D77D33D77D3333333DD3333DD3335555555555555555//must be on the second line of your program. (no extra ':' )
//The rest of your program

I tried to make it as close to your profile picture as I could. Tell me if you like it or not! Smile

As far as I know, ICE won't support it (I may be wrong Razz). BUT, I did add it to the "AORG.8xp" file since it's in basic. It'll all work out because they have to click on that one for the game to work properly. Anyways, The icon is awesome! I have no complaints Very Happy
First of all, could you please create a custom list for your save function? Just using L₁ makes it way too easy to cheat or have another program mess up your save file. Smile

I have a few more bugs:
Bug 1: for some reason, when I found an abandon wagon with only oxen in it. It froze the game, I had to reset to fix.

Bug 2: This is similar to the infinite food bug, at one point my 'next landmark' got a bunch of junk in front of it and the distance was really far away.
Do I have the worst luck ever?

The same bug just happened to me. I got a wagon with only oxen in it, and the game froze.
Fixed the whole repair freezing problem Very Happy . I forgot to add an extra End after the function Razz . I also fixed the abandoned wagon bug & added finding more money.
Yay! Has the latest download been updated?

In this case, this one?

Also, could you please up the amount of food you can carry back to the wagon after you hunt? I am constantly having to hunt, and 100 lbs of food does not last long, even on the "Meager" setting.
OldNewTimer wrote:
As far as I know, ICE won't support it (I may be wrong Razz). BUT, I did add it to the "AORG.8xp" file since it's in basic. It'll all work out because they have to click on that one for the game to work properly. Anyways, The icon is awesome! I have no complaints Very Happy

Yet not, but hey, I'm working on it Wink
OldNewTimer wrote:
Fixed the whole repair freezing problem Very Happy . I forgot to add an extra End after the function Razz . I also fixed the abandoned wagon bug & added finding more money.

Hooray! Also, is there a way to sell you things for money? Or is finding it the only way to gain money?

Caleb_J wrote:
Also, could you please up the amount of food you can carry back to the wagon after you hunt? I am constantly having to hunt, and 100 lbs of food does not last long, even on the "Meager" setting.

I agree that only 100lbs of food does not last long at all. Instead maybe you could remove the cap (or raise it) and put a percentage of the food you can keep? This would make hunting more intense, but allow you to gain more food so you don't have to hunt so often.

PT_ wrote:
OldNewTimer wrote:
As far as I know, ICE won't support it (I may be wrong ). BUT, I did add it to the "AORG.8xp" file since it's in basic. It'll all work out because they have to click on that one for the game to work properly. Anyways, The icon is awesome! I have no complaints Very Happy
Yet not, but hey, I'm working on it Wink

Good! Icons are amazing and should be will all programs Very Happy
also, I'm glad to hear you like the icon Smile

One final suggestion, could you add a 'master quit' button like [clear]? Maybe it would help people get out if the program freezes.
Thanks again for all the input!

TheLastMillenial wrote:
Hooray! Also, is there a way to sell you things for money? Or is finding it the only way to gain money?

You can only find money while along the trail. I think the trading system could be abused if selling items were to happen.

TheLastMillenial wrote:
I agree that only 100lbs of food does not last long at all. Instead maybe you could remove the cap (or raise it) and put a percentage of the food you can keep? This would make hunting more intense, but allow you to gain more food so you don't have to hunt so often.

I've experienced the food shortage too. I'll either raise how much food you can hunt, or how much you consume per turn.

TheLastMillenial wrote:
One final suggestion, could you add a 'master quit' button like [clear]? Maybe it would help people get out if the program freezes.

I haven't thought of a way for a "master quit" button except for Calling a getkey function every few lines of code, which would take up WAY too much space. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this please let me know.
TheLastMillennial wrote:

This is why you use Cesium's backup feature and use the RAM reset button.

Also, I don't think a master quit button would work because it would only add on to the queue of things that calc has to do, thus having no effect.

EDIT:

Also, my distance to next landmark went all wonky; could you fix this please?
It happened right after I hit my first landmark.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours