Do you think this will be possible?
yes
 100%  [ 10 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

So I tried downloading this game, which looks amazing btw. I downloaded the 4 standard c libraries you linked, then the two programs you created.
The first "OREGON.8xp" worked and saved well.
The second failed to upload to the "Ti connect CE" computer applet, and told me 'a token in "OFILES.8xp" is invalid.' so it was not able to open.
I assume someones brought this up before, but I went through this forum and could have missed the solution to this problem.
Spaghetti_OG wrote:
So I tried downloading this game, which looks amazing btw. I downloaded the 4 standard c libraries you linked, then the two programs you created.
The first "OREGON.8xp" worked and saved well.
The second failed to upload to the "Ti connect CE" computer applet, and told me 'a token in "OFILES.8xp" is invalid.' so it was not able to open.
I assume someones brought this up before, but I went through this forum and could have missed the solution to this problem.

Hey Spaghetti_OG, I'm sorry that you're having some installation problems. We haven't had this problem happen before with any installation.
First of all, do you have a CSE or a CE? Only a CE can run this version of the Oregon Trail.

Also, make sure that you have the latest release of the game located here: https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/84pce/asm/games/OregonTrailCERelease1.0.zip

The problem may have to do with Ti-Connect CE's connection to your calculator. Make sure that the link cable is securely plugged into both the USB port on your computer, and the CE's link port.

Here's a tutorial on Ti-Connect:

I hope you can get this working Smile. Good Luck!
Oh my word. This is amazing, I've spent my whole morning playing games on my calculator. I had to take the files out of every folder, then input them into ce connect
I'm glad you like it! Cemetech is always producing awesome software, so make sure to check often for updates and new programs Smile . You can even try and learn to program them yourself!
I realize you are trying to stick closely to the real game but, as several of my IRL friends deftly noted, if I have hundreds upon hundreds of oxen, shouldn't crossing rivers be easier? I mean, come on, I could build a freaking land bridge with all of these oxen.

At the very least, travel should be faster with more oxen.

I know this is been reported before, but trading is pretty broken. Apparently someone traded 4 ammunition for 60 ammunition. Seems legit, right? I think you could fix this by only allowing trades between different item types. Then again, bugs like this are lots of fun Smile

I was quite surprised when I saw my IRL friends playing this game, actually. I mean, it's not every day when you can show a bunch of people how your username in the credits of one of their favorite calc games.

Keep up your amazing work on this!
Hey _iPhoenix_,

Thanks again for the feedback! The real game does in fact have the features you requested, and I will implement them while I convert the game to ICE 2.0 . Most of these bugs and such are a result of my early days (last year, lol Razz) of ICE programming, when I didn't know how to implement some features from the original game.

Although I do coding during the school year, it's very slow (I'm buried in projects). I'll probably do some minor updates to the game until summer starts, then the game gets an overhaul.

I'm very suprised that this game has become so popular (over 2000+ downloads, and a lot of those people distribute the game throughout schools). I'll continue updating my programs to make them more stable and fun!

It's always cool to get recognized in something! Thanks for bugtesting!
If you need help while converting this to ICE 2.0, me or PT_ (most likely PT_) will be able to point you down the right "trail" Razz

If you need help bug testing, I may be able to help sometime in June, depending on when the Chandler School District decides to let us out of school, due the the teacher strikes and the RedForEd movement.
OldNewTimer wrote:
Thanks again for the feedback! The real game does in fact have the features you requested

Wait, you can build oxen bridges in the real game?!

I understand being buried in projects, it's not very fun. (Unless, of course, these are fun projects Razz) I personally burn out very quickly if I do extensive calc programming over the summer (Interestingly, I can blame all of my JS projects on CC20 killing calculators for me temporarily).

Just for fun, I'll try my hand at changing the relevant bits of code in your remarkably clean source code. I'll post my modifications here if I get around to it.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Wait, you can build oxen bridges in the real game?!

*Except for that Razz

Sounds cool! Any help is a appreciated.
Yay!!!
Just some feature requests, if you havent thought of it already, could the people dies in more specific ways? Like from typhoid or spanish flu. Also, could specific members die instead of just the entire party. It feels mean to say I enjoyed this part in the DOS game but it was intresting to see how my friends die Razz. That brings me to my next point, if implemented, could the parties names be customisable? Finally, and this is a small one, can the AppVar be put into the archive to prevent it being erased in the event of a RAM reset?
Thanks and I am (anxiously) awaiting version 2!!!
Thanks for the suggestions!
All the features you requested are already/soon to be developed. The main reason that they weren't in there originally is because ICE 1.0 didn't have the capability to do them. Appvar saving is done, I am working on the others. Stay tuned Very Happy
After many months of procrastination, the 2.0 update is here! The entire game has been updated to ICE 2.0, which was why it took so long (a lot of stuff broke Razz). Aside from that, savefiles are now in the form of appvars, LOTS of bugs have been fixed, and a few small changes have been made to some of the game's mechanics. You can view all the changes/additions in the changelog. I hope you guys enjoy playing it, and feel free to report any bugs/mistakes Smile.

Download it Here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ce6Vfiw6URDhve_r2YeGZo1GAonqm6kl/view?usp=sharing
Yay! An update!
I found a bug though

Rather than adding food when you're finished hunting, it replaces the amount you had with how much you just hunted. So if I started hunting with 200 food and I stopped hunting when I got 50 food, the game now says I only have 50 food total instead of 250.
Also, when you click 'hunt' the game often quits; it doesn't crash, it just exits.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Yay! An update!
I found a bug though

Rather than adding food when you're finished hunting, it replaces the amount you had with how much you just hunted. So if I started hunting with 200 food and I stopped hunting when I got 50 food, the game now says I only have 50 food total instead of 250.
Also, when you click 'hunt' the game often quits; it doesn't crash, it just exits.

Fixed the first bug. By exiting, do you mean it exits to the calc's homescreen? I will upload the fix ASAP.

EDIT: Bugs have been fixed (fingers crossed) and the download link has been updated.
The update has been accepted into the Cemetech archives! So far the game is stable, (I played through it multiple times without problems) but if anyone finds one please let me know so I can fix it ASAP. As always, I hope everyone has fun playing the game Very Happy !

Download it Here:
http://cemete.ch/DL1685
I downloaded the new version and I have a few suggestions.

1. Add (or readd) Cesium icon
Every good program must have one imho and this is no exception!

2. Implement:
The LAX18 of the past wrote:
Just some feature requests, if you havent thought of it already, could the people dies in more specific ways? Like from typhoid or spanish flu. Also, could specific members die instead of just the entire party.

The LAX18 of the past wrote:
That brings me to my next point, if implemented, could the parties names be customisable?

Other than that, I am enjoying version 2!
Sorry for the bump, but OldNewTimer, is this a direct port of the game, or just based on it? How "true-to-original" is this?
I only have a TI-84+ CSE. Can you make it compatible?
IvanTheCOol132 wrote:
I only have a TI-84+ CSE. Can you make it compatible?

ICE is incompatible with the CSE and thus porting would require a complete rewrite- not only is that a lot of work, but this game is 5+ years old at this point and likely not going to be worked on at all again anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours