I have some friends that have seen me using my wabbitemu app and want to know how to get rom images to use it without all of the difficult extracting procedures, as many of them don't have calculators in the first place. I just was asking your thoughts on the ethics and legal issues (if any) of giving out rom images to some friends.
It's illegal and unethical under pretty much any interpretation of the law. The certificate in your calculator's read-only Flash memory is a single-user license to the TI-OS, just like a product key for your favorite desktop operating system.
Have you A) Tried actually running WabbitEmu? It tells you exactly how to. And B) Don't post topics that tell people you are distributing roms. Razz
I want to point out that sharing ROMs is a bannable offense.

Also, arguably, when you pay ca. $100 for a graphing calculator, you're really paying for the calculator software, not the physical hardware, which probably costs less than $20 to manufacture. (Although, arguably, $80 is way more than the OS is worth in 2016, considering the wide availability of FOSS mathematical software and terribly dated UI. Oh, man, would I love to suggest improvements to the TI-8x line that would help make it more usable for students without requiring teachers to learn anything new---if only I thought there was any chance TI would actually consider them.)
No.
Wabbitemu does not require a rom, it can create one from just an os file iirc.
try doing this on your friends computer.

1)download wabbitemu
2) download the ti84 plus operating system
or if that doesn't work go here
3)open wabbitemu and select "create ROM using open source software"
4)select "TI-84 Plus SE" hit next
5)check "browse for OS files on my computer" and navigate to wherever you saved it
6)hit finish and your done
7)Reply with any concerns or issues you have (^‿^) ツ Smile
c4ooo wrote:
Wabbitemu does not require a rom, it can create one from just an os file iirc.
That's a gray area tho <.< And they fail with some apps IIRC
Okay first of all I never actually distributed any ROMs. I just wanted feedback on the issue. I'll make sure to confirm them how serious of an issue it is.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours