I just had an idea (and I'm certain its not a new one):

Create a charging circuit for a Ti 84+ calculator.

It takes 6 volts from the batteries if I'm correct, which (I think) won't take too much crazy circuitry from a 5 to 6 volt step-up thing (or even a 12 to 6 volt divider).

I know I could just use rechargeable AAA batteries, but I'm an on-the-go guy. I want to be able to just plug the calculator in and never worry about low batteries during long OS transfers, frequent file download/uploads, or testing wifi shields Wink

So here's my proposal:

Direction #1

*Use rechargeable Ni AAA batteries in place of the regular AAA batteries. These will then be charged via the USB OTG port

*These batteries would be charged by a seperate port added on, perhaps a DC power jack or other USB port

Direction #2

*Take out the existing 1.5V x 4 cell housing and replace with either a straight 3.7V LiPo battery and then add in the circuitry myself OR

*Take out the existing 1.5V x 4 cell housing and replace with an off-the-shelf 6 volt LiPo battery, possibly with included charging capabilities.

I have access to an excess of 3.7V LiPo chargers that take an input of 5V via a mini USB cable. I don't know if these circuits can simultaneously charge/discharge.

What should I do? I can always go on craigslist to find really cheap working ti 84+'s, so that isn't too much of a concern.

Thoughts on the way forward?

*EDIT*

Is there an exact 6V tolerance? Is it stepped down from 6V to 5V logic? Is it split to 3.3V logic? Can I get away with using a 5V battery?
I'm interested in the same for prizm/casio fx-cg please - it is using 4 aaa batteries and i would like to go for more compact solution with skim lipo batteries and make the back plate slimmer on the whole calculator to make it more compact
I may be wrong, but I think you are right about nominal voltage input.

The TI site warns of screen contrast issues around 4.2V - 4 and below.

If you use a capacitor of sufficient capacity.... And the power supply has enough

I would expect no much difference to any charging device.

Interested as well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours