After learning BASIC for a while, I got bored, and decided to learn Assembly. However, when I went to different tutorials, I got super confused... Sad

Is there anything I need to learn before I start Assembly? It would really help Very Happy
I would recommend learning a mid level language (such as C) before tackling assembly if you are making the direct transition from BASIC to assembly. It is possible, but it will be easier on you in the long run. However, if you do wish to begin your adventure, you will need spasm-ng, available here. You can then proceed to Learning ASM in 28 days; which is a great tutorial to learn from.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I would recommend learning a mid level language (such as C) before tackling assembly if you are making the direct transition from BASIC to assembly. It is possible, but it will be easier on you in the long run. However, if you do wish to begin your adventure, you will need spasm-ng, available here. You can then proceed to Learning ASM in 28 days; which is a great tutorial to learn from.

For just starting assembly I recommend Mimas, it's nice for small programs that you just write, compile and run. The syntax is slightly different but it pretty much just removes symbols like ()._ from some directives and macro i.e. BCALL and DB instead of .db and B_CALL () or something like that. It's also an on-calculator assembler so it's convenient for on-the-go programming like at school, work, etc.
It's a really cool in-calc ASM editor but unfortunately nobody has bothered to port it to the CE yet.
what is the difference between z80 ASM and ez80 ASM
Waaangyi wrote:

Have you tried using the search bar in the upper right? I'm sure you could find more information there that has already been described Smile

Also keep in mind necroposting is kind of not the best practice.
thanks Mateo, I just find out some
Waaangyi wrote:

The most basic way to put it is that the z80 has register pairs that are 16 bits big, and the ez80's register pairs are 24 bits long. another difference is the speed. z80 runs at 10mhz and the ez80 runs at 24mhz. the ez80 has some more instructions than the z80, like mlt. other than that, I don't think there are too many other differences.
pixiys wrote:
Waaangyi wrote:

The most basic way to put it is that the z80 has register pairs that are 16 bits big, and the ez80's register pairs are 24 bits long. another difference is the speed. z80 runs at 10mhz and the ez80 runs at 24mhz. the ez80 has some more instructions than the z80, like mlt. other than that, I don't think there are too many other differences.

Ok, got it, thanks! Smile
Another big difference is that the z80 can address 64kb of memory while the ez80 can address 16384kb. Of course the calculator doesn't have that much memory but this does make accessing data easier.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours