what kind of language syntax should i learn if i already have background in python and qbasic? And i am currently learning asm.
Well...You could keep learning Python and ASM, as both have more than enough to keep you ocupied for a loooong time.... For example, you could try doing GUI programming in Python, as all major GUI APIs have a python port (GTK and wxWidgets being the biggies). Or you could take a stab at making a multi-threaded app in Python, where it would be harder to have something go drastically wrong (compared to a lower level language like C/C++). You could even try game programming via pyGame.

If you desperately want to learn a new language, however, I would suggest C or C++, as both are extermely common programming languages (2nd and 3rd most common, respectively) that many languages base their syntax off of (PHP, for example, bases its syntax off of C) The two (C and C++ I mean) have nearly identical syntax, but C++ is a *bit* higher-level with things like OOP Classes and managed, dynamic strings, along with easier memory management functions such as "pointer = new var", rather than having to do it yourself via void pointers and calls to malloc(), which can get ugly...

Just remember, there is more to a language than its syntax....
I'd recommend either PHP for webdesign and development, or C/C++ for more advanced computer stuff. As Kllrnohj said, make sure you're as proficient as possible in one language before picking up another. That's why I find it so easy to learn new language now: almost all are based on the same general framework and syntax, but it's important to understand one before going on to the next.
What about Perl? I'm learning it right now and I have to say it is awesome. It has so many shortcuts for the programmer. Although because of the shortcuts, the syntax may be a little confusing for you, but with some knowledge of Python or any other high level language, you'll do fine.
something1990 wrote:
What about Perl? I'm learning it right now and I have to say it is awesome. It has so many shortcuts for the programmer. Although because of the shortcuts, the syntax may be a little confusing for you, but with some knowledge of Python or any other high level language, you'll do fine.
I learned Perl before PHP, so I personally feel PHP to be the superior language. Sure, it's less efficient as a serverside executable than Perl, but it's so much easier to use...
something1990 wrote:

All those shortcuts are Perl's weakness. It is said (not just jokingly) that you don't program in Perl if you want to be able to read your source again in a month. I personally would stay away from Perl, as it is somewhat of a dieing language (PHP has replaced it for web servers, Python has/is replacing it as a general scripting language)
Exactly, although I didn't know that it was Python that had replaced it for general clientside scripting.
Python is, as far as I know, the only general clientside scripting that can match, or come very close to matching, all of Perl's built in functions
Wow, nifty. And with the power of APIs like wxWidgets, you can make some pretty spiffy programs. I definitely think that choosing Python for the gCn client was a good idea then.
what kind of stuff could i do in c or c++?
lafferjm wrote:
what kind of stuff could I do in c or c++?

Anything and everything. From "Hello, World!" to an entire OS

Just for starters, everything you can do in Python can be done in C (which is what the "official" python interperater is programmed in)
does c or c++ have labels because that is what i disliked about python was that it did not have any labels
labels? You mean like goto-labels?

Those are really, really bad and you should never, EVER need to use them. Period. No excuses. There is a reason Python does not have them

C/C++ does have labels, but they are so incredibly discouraged that the compiler might not support them, or they may cause a variety of errors (runtime and/or at compile)
Kllrnohj wrote:
Well...You could keep learning Python and ASM, as both have more than enough to keep you ocupied for a loooong time.... For example, you could try doing GUI programming in Python, as all major GUI APIs have a python port (GTK and wxWidgets being the biggies). Or you could take a stab at making a multi-threaded app in Python, where it would be harder to have something go drastically wrong (compared to a lower level language like C/C++). You could even try game programming via pyGame.

If you desperately want to learn a new language, however, I would suggest C or C++, as both are extermely common programming languages (2nd and 3rd most common, respectively) that many languages base their syntax off of (PHP, for example, bases its syntax off of C) The two (C and C++ I mean) have nearly identical syntax, but C++ is a *bit* higher-level with things like OOP Classes and managed, dynamic strings, along with easier memory management functions such as "pointer = new var", rather than having to do it yourself via void pointers and calls to malloc(), which can get ugly...

Just remember, there is more to a language than its syntax....

What is the most common language? Python?
well i am just going to stick with python but learn how to use pygame. because i think it would be neat to create my own game that i can play.
Harq wrote:
What is the most common language? Python?

1) Java
2) C
3) C++
4) PHP
Is that in order? Because I don't think Java is used more than C++...
KermMartian wrote:
Is that in order? Because I don't think Java is used more than C++...

That is the order (for 2004 anyway, it seems VB has passed up PHP now... http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm )
VB > PHP? Razz I think not.
KermMartian wrote:
VB > PHP? Razz I think not.

Ha! PHP got pwnt

Do note however, that PHP's popularity did increase by 1.62%, its just that VB's increased more

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours