It's a 5-pin component in a radio car power supply (looks to be switching), and it looks like this:

The information was filed off by the manufacturer, although a few characters remain.

I've made a decent (but not entirely sure if correct) schematic of the entire power supply too:
TO-220 package implies a power device, either a regulator or transistor. 5 pins suggests something a bit more intricate than a single big power device.

R2 and the pot connected to an output suggests feedback, and inductors are suggestive of a switching regulator. It's clearly not a buck or boost converter since those use only one inductor (and the output here is lower than input so a buck converter wouldn't make sense). The topology does match a SEPIC converter though, so it's probably a SEPIC controller with integrated switching like (but not exactly) a LT1170.
I think it's a LM2575T; I'm taking a closer look at the device right now to see if any other markings survived.

[edit] The photos are in. processed with various methods before and after doing a highlight-then-wipe:

The markings precisely match up, including the bottom row saying -5.0 P+ as would be expected.
Look closely at the image in the second row, second column, and see that it reads '-ADJ' on the third row instead of '-5.0'. This means the output voltage is adjustable, not fixed at a particular voltage. The LM2575 is available in -3.3, -5.0, -12, -15, and -ADJ variants, and the fixed-voltage ones do not provide the 6V the radio is looking for (it cannot operate below 5.4V). I've found what could be the exact part used, after a lot of google-image-fu.
I somehow managed to find this picture:

So that answers that, and confirms I had found the (almost) right component. LM2576T is the actual component.
Where'd you get those expensive microscopes from? Shock
After doing some power testing, I found the radio pulls somewhere around 5A continuous / 7A peak when transmitting at full power ([edit] the high amounts of RF appear to fudge my multimeter's readings, I should use a dummy load for this instead of actually transmitting. I will do more detailed testing after I wake up to a freshly charged battery pack, as I expect around 2A transmit high power). This is well above the rating for the LM2576T of 3A; no wonder that component is fried.

oldmud0 wrote:
Where'd you get those expensive microscopes from? Shock

I actually use this lens. At closest focus, it can resolve really tiny details.
Thanks for those details, and good luck putting together a sufficiently-powerful supply for it. I suspect that your results may be rather useful to other people experimenting with SDR.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours