The fine print rules say that only people in certain countries can win the contest. Does that simply mean that only those people can win the prizes, or does it mean that others aren't allowed to join the contest at all?
I am not by any means saying anything official, but I believe it wouldn't be in the spirit of Cemetech to prevent people from simply participating in the contest (and probably learning as well). So the way I read it, it only meant that people who aren't in the countries mentioned aren't eligible to win prizes, rather than being barred from entering all together. Unless there is some obscure legal reason of course...
JosJuice wrote:
The fine print rules say that only people in certain countries can win the contest. Does that simply mean that only those people can win the prizes, or does it mean that others aren't allowed to join the contest at all?

Anyone can enter and win the contest, but winners from localities not listed are not eligible to receive prizes.

mr womp womp wrote:
I am not by any means saying anything official, but I believe it wouldn't be in the spirit of Cemetech to prevent people from simply participating in the contest (and probably learning as well). So the way I read it, it only meant that people who aren't in the countries mentioned aren't eligible to win prizes, rather than being barred from entering all together. Unless there is some obscure legal reason of course...

The wording was updated to the following:

Code:
Unfortunately, due to the complexities of international law, only residents of the following countries are eligible to win Cemetech Contest #17. Residents of all other countries are not eligible.
Is it okay if we use other people's utility programs to help us write our entries (an in using them as tool but not taking code from them)? To be more specific, I was wondering if I would be allowed to use Text Sprite Generator by mr womp womp and KermMartian.
Kydapoot wrote:
Is it okay if we use other people's utility programs to help us write our entries (an in using them as tool but not taking code from them)? To be more specific, I was wondering if I would be allowed to use Text Sprite Generator by mr womp womp and KermMartian.

Yes, it is acceptable to use utilities such as the text sprite generator.
Will we get feedback from the members and/or judging panel on our game?
Welp. I guess after over a year hiatus, I'll try my hand at programming something fun! I'm excited.
I found out that unfortunately, we won't be able to offer the TI-84 Plus CEs as prizes that I had hoped our anonymous donor from the previous contests might be able to provide, but we're working on figuring out what else we could offer (including purchasing a calculator or two ourselves). Stay tuned, and keep working on those entries!
seanlego23 wrote:
Will we get feedback from the members and/or judging panel on our game?

You can get feedback from other members based on what you post about your entry in its thread. However, since complete programs will not be released until the end of the submission period, people will not be able to provide direct feedback based on the gameplay until the voting period.
This is just a friendly reminder to all who are participating in the contest. CC17 has been in progress for over a month now, and has just over a month remaining. If you need assistance with your entry, the contest rules allow requesting help from other members via your contest topic.

I have enjoyed seeing the large amount of activity on this contest. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
So nine days, everyone! I wish you all good bug smashing skills for the final part of the track (hehe traintracks) and good luck finishing! Smile

Also, have the prizes been purchased/acquired?
This is a pretty bad contest given that only a tiny set of countries can win.
Namely the US, The UK, the Netherlands and Canada.
Where is France or Germany?

I know it's about prices, but still what's the point of participating. I won't. Primarily because of this.
There are similar laws in let's say Germany. And I am sure in France and many of the other countries.
Unicorn wrote:
Also, have the prizes been purchased/acquired?
Not yet; I'm still debating what the prizes should be, and I'd like to discuss it further with Jonbush.

Muessigb wrote:
France (and Germany) have laws that require you to buy an expensive license in order to hold contests where French (and German) citizens can win. We already spend literally thousands of dollars a year out of our own pockets on running Cemetech, so we'd rather not spend even more for contests, given that the majority of our contestants are from the named countries. We'd love for you to enter, and you could even win, but unfortunately you would win only prestige and fame. I'm sorry you're mad about that.
KermMartian wrote:
Muessigb wrote:
France (and Germany) have laws that require you to buy an expensive license in order to hold contests where French (and German) citizens can win. We already spend literally thousands of dollars a year out of our own pockets on running Cemetech, so we'd rather not spend even more for contests, given that the majority of our contestants are from the named countries. We'd love for you to enter, and you could even win, but unfortunately you would win only prestige and fame. I'm sorry you're mad about that.

Sure there are rules, but usually schools and clubs aren't even sued for holding lottery games in public places Wink
Other calculator sites don't limit the participating countries which I quite like.
There's the fame aspect and I totally say that one is probably quite important, but a small physical prize beats everything Wink
@Kerm aren't contest rules about those contests that are luck-based? In Quebec province, for example, luck-based contests requires that you give 10% of the contest prize value to Loto-Québec gambling company and that you include a French translation of the rules with the contest. However, contests that are based on skills, such as CC17 are exempt from those restrictions. Are German and French rules really that much stricter?
I'm not sure if this was covered, but if we right it in ASM or C, is the Source code needed?
Unicorn wrote:
I'm not sure if this was covered, but if we right it in ASM or C, is the Source code needed?

It is highly recommended to submit the source code so that the judges can review it if further evaluation is necessary.

Please email a zip file with name [username]_cc17.zip to contest at this domain. The zip should contain:
▪ Executable program
▪ Readme file
▪ Source code (for non-BASIC programs)

Time remaining (updated regularly):
KermMartian wrote:
France (and Germany) have laws that require you to buy an expensive license in order to hold contests where French (and German) citizens can win.

Not anymore in France, as of ≈2 years ago (at least for non-random games IIRC ; actual contests are fine). That was quite a monetary relief for TI-Planet...
Adriweb wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Muessigb wrote:
France (and Germany) have laws that require you to buy an expensive license in order to hold contests where French (and German) citizens can win.

Not anymore in France, as of ≈2 years ago. That was quite a monetary relief for TI-Planet...
Oh? May I ask you to please point me to the relevant documentation of that change? That's great news.
KermMartian wrote:
Adriweb wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Muessigb wrote:

Not anymore in France, as of ≈2 years ago. That was quite a monetary relief for TI-Planet...
Oh? May I ask you to please point me to the relevant documentation of that change? That's great news.

Well, I can wish you a happy french-law reading session, then:

Quote:
La loi n°2014-1545 du 20 décembre 2014 a modifié l’article L. 121-36 et abrogé l’ensemble des articles L. 121-36-1 à L. 121-41, simplifiant ainsi la vie des organisateurs de jeux concours. En clair : vous n’avez plus besoin de déposer de règlement chez un huissier de justice si vous organisez un jeu concours

Actual law link: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexteArticle.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000029926655&idArticle=LEGIARTI000029928235&dateTexte=20141221&categorieLien=id#LEGIARTI000029928235

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours