A few weeks ago I was assigned a final project. The final project could be anything as long as it’s written in Python. So I chose to make a game. Needless to say, I had no regrets.

In those 3 weeks, I achieved far more than I could ever hope to if I had made something smaller. The game is written with Pygame, a library I had not even touched in more than a year, and upon touching it, I just took right off. In fact, my progress was so astounding I simply put the tutorial aside on part 2 and started looking at the documentation directly.

My first challenge was collision detection. I am not a master in algorithms, but since I was doing pixel/mask-based collisions, I had to calculate the angle of reflection out of a collision. The problem was that I had to detect walls and edges based on the map's collision mask in order to interpolate some sort of line to calculate an angle out of. After a ton of tweaking and even writing a "decision table," I said screw it, let's try something simpler. And so collision detection remains a major issue in the game, but at least it does not totally prevent gameplay and addition of other features.

After adding the camera and wall collisions, I worked on collisions with other entities... then I refactored... and then I finally began implementing features that would make the game "soccer." That was a week ago. I fixed up the game to meet deadline one, the final project for one of my classes in my summer engineering program. Simply talking about the game excited the teacher; she decided to give me a 105 for absolute overkill of a project.

Today, I was working for about 4 hours on splitscreen multiplayer, since I will not be able to finish network multiplayer by deadline two (tomorrow), when I am presenting the project along with a 36x48 poster to some representatives from Rackspace (big business here in the city).

Since all of you know that a picture is worth a thousand words and a video a billion, I will show it to you now since it will explain everything (and I'm tired of writing about the project). I advise you to turn down the volume because the sound effects are a bit loud.

My final goal is to make the game enjoyable. People are picky when it comes to what games they want to play, but I really do want this game to be played casually and competitively by people. I long for the moment when the download and public server are on /r/gaming and I join and there are a couple of people playing. I don't expect the game to be famous, though.

If you want to track my progress, the project is on GitHub: https://github.com/oldmud0/zero-grav-soccer

Thanks!
Dude! That is so cool. Great job!
So much hype and there were no prizes to those who got 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in the venue, except for a certificate. On top of that, I didn't place in any of the three, probably because I was a one-man team and the judges didn't find a lot of purpose in game design. They didn't tell me my own ranking; we were almost immediately ushered out back to the buses after the "awards" were presented, which prevented me from making any further contact with Rackspace people.

My hopes were high, but in the end I didn't really gain anything except a little bit of personal satisfaction.

I will work on the game whenever I have time, but for now I need to get back to schoolwork which I seriously need to complete before school starts again.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours