In this thread, you are invited to place your scores in here to try to be the person with the highest score. If you want to help others with the challenge, you may, just don't directly tell them the answer in this forum.

Also, if you are not posting a score or asking/giving help, DON'T post in this thread.
I got a number which is nearly impossible to compute, but is still a number:
4(↑^(4↑4))4
using Knuth's up-arrow notation
Can you even put that in the calculator?
No, but you didn't specify that I had to be able to Razz
technically you can get any number in this game by just using (4+4+4+...)/4.
or you can just add 4/4 for the number specified. and then use +4, *4, and ^4 for time.
even though this topic is old, I felt like posting this.
CHill wrote:
technically you can get any number in this game by just using (4+4+4+...)/4.
or you can just add 4/4 for the number specified. and then use +4, *4, and ^4 for time.
even though this topic is old, I felt like posting this.

Again, rather long time to be posting this, but the challenge is to get as high of a number by only using 4 4's, but an infinite number of fours
There are many ways to use the TI-83+ commands to get any natural number from four fours. First note that 0 = "4+4+4=4". If the only restriction is that in the original program, adding one can be done with "+pi/pi". If we allow only the four 4s as numerical values, then adding one can be done using the following identity:

(cosh x)^2 = 1 + (sinh x)^2 => y + 1 = cosh(asinh(sqrt(y)))^2

N = cosh(asinh(cosh(asinh(...asinh(sqrt(4+4+4=4))...))))^2 where there are N copies.

If we also disallow squaring, we can construct 0 as "4+4=4" and use "^sqrt(4)". In practice, this will run into memory limits (I'm also not sure if a >9999 char string can be used with expr()). Precision errors should not be a problem for N<10^10 or so; they can be fixed with round( and are not as bad as in this solution.

I would guess that every positive integer less than 10^12 is the exact result of some TI-BASIC expression less than about 100 or 200 characters long involving only four fours as constants.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours