Some people (including myself) find that the server has become very restrictive to the point of monkey0x9 being burnt out and I myself loosing interest. I'll just note down my experience with the 1.9 server so far.

I wasn't very active active member on the 1.8 server, mostly because I came on very late and most was already built. But with the world reset and 1.9, I wanted to give it everything from the start. And it was quite fun at first. But after a few weeks it became clear that this server would become much more restrictive than the 1.8 server. No enderchests, tiny worldborder and the end being disabled for god knows how long, just to name a few.

Now, I do understand where these are coming from, for example, I too voted against /tpa, to increase travel by rail, but what do enderchests have to do with that? And the end being disabled for a while until the server is ready, sure, but from what I'm told, the end won't be open for another 6 months! And even when it's opened, it'll just be limited to the main island. Just because elytras should be a prize item we can't use any of the new end features. You see how silly this is? Basically cutting out the entire 1.9 update! A final point to conclude this little rant of mine, the worldborder is extremely small, no witch huts, and a single monument, which was quickly claimed. Want anyhing guardian related? Buy it from Kerm. Need sponge? Too bad.

I think the server is heading in a direction which I very much dislike, it's heading more and more towards becoming one of the many public survival servers where everything needs to be tied town because the community can't be trusted. I liked cemetech the way it was in 1.8, closed, but good.

I hope this made some kind of sense, as I typed this out on my phone Razz
Quick and dirty reply from mobile:

Ended chests were disabled on 1.8 as well, I don't know the reason behind it.

The world border was initially set small to force players to build homes close enough together so teleporting was a non-issue. We expanded the border a bit later on as well. This is the first time I'm hearing the border being small as in issue since it was expanded.

The end was disabled so we didn't have folks rushing to beat the dragon. Yes, it can be resummoned now but our thought was that the first kill should be a server effort, not an individual. Maybe everyone would have rallied around the idea naturally but there were some players who wanted to launch the server with an event, where they race to slay the dragon. Which is where I got my idea for the hard core dragon race thing.

Then the idea sprung that there could be a treasure hunt with clues to a server sanctioned end portal and I liked the idea. But in reality I am the only one who can set it up so my mods (and Kerm) can partake in the hunt too. And I, frankly, haven't gotten around to it. I have little faith in my ability to set up a worth while treasure hunt and minecrafts priority is incredibly low on my list of things to invest my free hours into.

I'd be willing to open the End though. As far as restricting the end to the island. We're still working that out. We'll revisit the elytra topic in our discussions but we all find Elytras to be over powered and. Or something that should be actively sought after. In hindsight on our discussions, we'd have a world border in The End as well and it's very likely there would be no Elytras/Ships in this border. Thus preserving their value as prizes. Even if there was 1, I could live with that. I don't think any of us took the world border into account.

Edit: that another 6 months isn't true. It was, if I recall correctly, "at most 6 months from the launch of the server." So, there's at least another 3 months left. But the idea was that the End would be enabled when the majority of the serve was ready to do battle. Which might have been pushed to the back of our minds as it seems everyone is now well established with villager shops that sell books and enchants that will significantly aide in the battle.
Sorry, that first post may have come out a bit agressively.

comicIDIOT wrote:

Ended chests were disabled on 1.8 as well, I don't know the reason behind it.

Maybe we could have a poll about it?

Quote:
The world border was initially set small to force players to build homes close enough together so teleporting was a non-issue. We expanded the border a bit later on as well. This is the first time I'm hearing the border being small as in issue since it was expanded.

Monket0x9 has complained about it, as have I, It's not neccecarely too small in area, it's just the lack of interesting sites (witch huts/monuments) that is the problem.

Quote:
I'd be willing to open the End though. As far as restricting the end to the island. We're still working that out. We'll revisit the elytra topic in our discussions but we all find Elytras to be over powered and. Or something that should be actively sought after. In hindsight on our discussions, we'd have a world border in The End as well and it's very likely there would be no Elytras/Ships in this border. Thus preserving their value as prizes. Even if there was 1, I could live with that. I don't think any of us took the world border into account.

If it's just the elytra you're concerned about, you can just remove it from the loot table. It's a new folder in the world that describes what loot generates in chests.
Ender chests were disabled to add to difficulty. I disagree with this decision quite strongly, as others do as well. But that's why it was disabled.

For me, I could go out and get a lot more in terms of resources, like granite, diorite, gravel, etc without having to keep going back to dump and return.

But the reasoning was that you could put your valuables in there and not worry about losing them while caving. Also something I disagree with imposing on all members playing. But, not my call on enforcement.

I also agree that it would be nice to see a border expansion sooner rather than later, to see if we can find more cool biomes in our world. And the end would be nice, want some of that chorus fruit Very Happy
I'll reply more in depth when I'm home and off mobile but your topic did not come out as aggressive in my opinion. Elytras are not found in chests but rather an item frame. Altering the loot table should have no effect.

Additionally, I know I ask you guys to not highlight me in MC, that's mostly for mundane things such as ~blame. I get home from work and there is usually 1000-2000 lines of text. I'm not going to read all those lines, if I'm highlighted I'll read the surrounding lines to get the context. But there was a point where ~blame and other mundane highlights made me not scroll up and read anything.

So, if there's an issue such as asking for a border expansion highlight me and I'll see to it. I'm not going to be aware of problems otherwise. I know I've said the border is small at times but no one has replied back asking when it's going to be expanded.

Update: It's unlikely a lot of you will see this topic/post but my IRC client crashed under specific circumstances (0Kb of Free disk space) and it seemed to corrupt my settings and stuff. So, until I get around to fresh installing IRC I'll be offline but my user will still be there. Sadly, when I join the last 50 lines of the channel will be played back to me. Skype quit on me too but it, thankfully, didn't corrupt. So either find me on Skype, PM me here, or my mods can act as a liaison Razz