OK, so it it is way too obvious as to why I am making this post. Everyone knows that mobile web browsers absolutely suck at viewing desktop web sites/pages ( ie. cemetech ). Every major tech site or social network has its own app on at least one platform. I would like that Cemetech also gets its own app so that I and everyone else can post about their latest projects and ideas without using a PC. Also, I would like such an app to have data-saving features like a text only mode or end to end data compression. I absolutely can't wait for Cemetech to get its own app! Very Happy
[quote="CalcMax"]Everyone knows that mobile web browsers absolutely suck at viewing desktop web sites/pages ( ie. cemetech )/quote]
Cemetech isn't a "desktop (only) website". The Cemetech 6.5 theme brought mobile friendly layouts, and IMO works pretty great. If there's something that doesn't work/look right, you should post about it here: http://cemete.ch/t459
My mobile browser for cemetech looks amazing, exactly like the desktop site minus the SAX (although it is easily accessible via Pop-out). I don't see any need why a cemetech app would be needed, but it would be cool. I think it could be actually pretty simple if there is a simple iframe-like feature in mobile app programming.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
I think it could be actually pretty simple if there is a simple iframe-like feature in mobile app programming.

There is on Windows Universal Apps, but it would be pointless because it's an app that goes to the website for you. (i.e. a web wrapper)

Now, an app that parses the page as style code in a unique design... I could see myself doing that.
Not needed. Wanted.

Providing a mobile app has been suggested and attempted by other forum members, use the search bar. However, we do not have the infrastructure to support such a thing and frankly, the Cemetech site looks pretty darn good on mobile anyways.

You are more than welcome to attempt this as well but like I implied, we lack the backend support. If you request a page through the app you'll get the whole Cemetech page not just the text or the posts. It'll be up to your app to strip the formatting from the page, reformat the page and text, etc etc.
Anywho, if you really wanted, you can view the desktop version on mobile.
Tapatalk could work but I only ever used it as last resort (eg if the site is barely useable on mobile) and the nag screen can get annoying anyway. And Cemetech has a responsive theme that does the job well enough anyway (the only problem being the lack of post dates).
Does tapatalk work on sites that don't officially support it? I always get a popup asking me if I want to download it when I go to sites that use tapatalk.
Nope. You need to install a Tapatalk mod. And yeah that's my main issue with it, although depending of the version you use there are ways to disable the pop-up.
If there were an app for Cemetech, there might will be some resources missing, maybe jsTIified or Source Coder...
It's just phpBB. No need to make a whole app for just a forum.
I think he wants the site to look like this, which might require heavy modifications to PhpBB and a ton of time and effort (due to the many trips to the hospital for eye cancer

You forgot, this is mobile. We can do A/B testing to see which style is better, stretch or fit:
Fit:

Stretch:

Sorry, I don't know where the spoiler button is Sad
DJ_O wrote:
I think he wants the site to look like this, which might require heavy modifications to PhpBB and a ton of time and effort (due to the many trips to the hospital for eye cancer

Looks great.
Stop with the jokes please!
If you guys don't care about my idea, then I will have to stick with Opera mobile and spend data like crazy!
It is a cool idea dude; what kind of phones would it be on though?
CalcMax wrote:
Stop with the jokes please!
If you guys don't care about my idea, then I will have to stick with Opera mobile and spend data like crazy!

Or... Use a web browser!
Anything from a cheapie Lenovo A369i (which I have) to the highest end phones/tablets on the market. I also have a Galaxy tab 2 7.0 (gtp3110) tablet. I really want the app to look like an app equivalent of Cemetech's site. I need all those data saving features so that the data usage is miniscule enough for me to use some whacky background data excuse if my father sees anything noticeably higher in terms of data transfer on the phone bill. Also, such features would allow anyone with a low data limit to post and explore on Cemetech for longer Smile. I will be extremely greatfull if someone made such a cool app. I could use it to post photos of my projects without the need to take the SD card from my camera and transfer photos from that to Cemetech. Also, if possible, i want the SAX chat to work in this app. When I am on mobile data, the only chance of using cemetech is with UC browser in the sucky text-only mode.
Smile Smile . The app should also have archive download built in so that I can get programs and put them directly into wabbitemu. For photos/videos, I want them displayed in max quality when my phone is on wifi or a wired connection (USB internet is built into a small percentage of phones). Some tablets also work with ethernet adapters, and I want the app to be compatible with that to. Smile Smile Smile Razz
CalcMax wrote:
Anything from a cheapie Lenovo A369i (which I have) to the highest end phones/tablets on the market. I also have a Galaxy tab 2 7.0 (gtp3110) tablet. I really want the app to look like an app equivalent of Cemetech's site. I need all those data saving features so that the data usage is minuscule enough for me to use some whacky background data excuse if my father sees anything noticeably higher in terms of data transfer on the phone bill. Also, such features would allow anyone with a low data limit to post and explore on Cemetech for longer Smile. I will be extremely grateful if someone made such a cool app. I could use it to post photos of my projects without the need to take the SD card from my camera and transfer photos from that to Cemetech. Also, if possible, i want the SAX chat to work in this app. When I am on mobile data, the only chance of using Cemetech is with UC browser in the sucky text-only mode.
Smile Smile . The app should also have archive download built in so that I can get programs and put them directly into WabbitEmu. For photos/videos, I want them displayed in max quality when my phone is on wifi or a wired connection (USB internet is built into a small percentage of phones). Some tablets also work with ethernet adapters, and I want the app to be compatible with that too. Smile Smile Smile Razz

Sounds like some hefty requests. What do you mean about the 'archive download'? why can't you just download files, extract them, and then import them to WabbitEmu? I do that on my tablet all the time!
For the SAX, you can just use the pop-out in a new tab. Plus, I still don't see what is so bad about Cemetechs website on mobile. It seems perfectly fine to me.
CalcMax wrote:
Anything from a cheapie Lenovo A369i (which I have) to the highest end phones/tablets on the market. I also have a Galaxy tab 2 7.0 (gtp3110) tablet. I really want the app to look like an app equivalent of Cemetech's site. I need all those data saving features so that the data usage is miniscule enough for me to use some whacky background data excuse if my father sees anything noticeably higher in terms of data transfer on the phone bill. Also, such features would allow anyone with a low data limit to post and explore on Cemetech for longer Smile. I will be extremely greatfull if someone made such a cool app. I could use it to post photos of my projects without the need to take the SD card from my camera and transfer photos from that to Cemetech. Also, if possible, i want the SAX chat to work in this app. When I am on mobile data, the only chance of using cemetech is with UC browser in the sucky text-only mode.
Smile Smile . The app should also have archive download built in so that I can get programs and put them directly into wabbitemu. For photos/videos, I want them displayed in max quality when my phone is on wifi or a wired connection (USB internet is built into a small percentage of phones). Some tablets also work with ethernet adapters, and I want the app to be compatible with that to. Smile Smile Smile Razz

Let me make a simple timeline how long would such project take, when implementing all your ideas.
App like Cemetech - 2 months
Saving feature - 1 week
Upload photos (*cough*Imgur*cough*) - 1 week
SAX chat working - 1 week
Archive download built - 1 week
WabbitEmu(*sigh*) - 2 months
Images max quality - 2 days
Ethernet adapters - Neutral

The sum of these times is about 5 months. Do you really think someone would spend 5 months creating something only 1 person wants?

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours