TI Education has posted the teaser image below on its Facebook page, asking visitors to guess the new colors of the TI-84 Plus CE to be released in time for Back to School 2016. As you may know (and the image below certainly reinforces), the TI-84 Plus CE currently is manufactured in seven colors: red, denim, plum, denim, lightning (light blue), silver, pink, and black.

Now, TI is teasing the addition of two new colors, one of which is gold, and the other of which may (or may not) be white, thanks to a tip from our French friends. At T^3 2016, we got to see the gold TI-84 Plus CE below, which was at the time the first of its kind in general circulation. What do you think of the gold, and do you think white will be the other new color? Do you, like us, wish that there was also a translucent TI-84 Plus CE, a la the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition of yore? Are there any other TI-84 Plus CE colors you'd like to see (or current colors you think should be removed)? Let us know in the attached thread.

Indeed, Gold as we have seen at the T3 conference, and White is my other guess since it's already an available color on the other CE model (the 83 Premium CE).

I'm afraid the gold one, if that's indeed what they're going for, will be sold out quickly Razz
I think a chrome/mirror calc would be pretty sweet, although it would get scratched up pretty quick. I do also think that a matte black button cover with matte green buttons would look pretty cool!
There could always be the transparent blue one:

(source)
They should release calcs across all 256 entries of the xLIBC palette!
It would be interesting if they developed a new system with interchangeable faceplates a la the TI-84 Plus SE. Although, this would be pretty difficult because of the slimness of the calc.
Hopefully they don't release a new calculator for a while now, while we settle into the CE. I dread the day that my calc becomes outdated.
tr1p1ea wrote:
They should release calcs across all 256 entries of the xLIBC palette!

Or build a custom calc builder where you can select whichever color you want! A feature like this would be pretty cool, although almost as costly as having to manufacture 256 different colors for sale.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
It would be interesting if they developed a new system with interchangeable faceplates a la the TI-84 Plus SE. Although, this would be pretty difficult because of the slimness of the calc.
Hopefully they don't release a new calculator for a while now, while we settle into the CE. I dread the day that my calc becomes outdated.

Meh, the interchangeable faceplates always seemed like a trinket to me, what ends up happening is the little pins that hold it in place break off easily and fall into the holes which were supposed to hold them in place, causing some alarming sounds when the calculator is shaked around... I feel as though a completely transparent case would be quite interesting, instead of the slightly frosted, covered in glitter ones Razz Also, the gold ones, although they look pretty snazzy, I think they would look a little strange to walk around with especially for a guy (not trying to get into gender roles or anything)
mr womp womp wrote:
Caleb_Hill wrote:

Meh, the interchangeable faceplates always seemed like a trinket to me, what ends up happening is the little pins that hold it in place break off easily and fall into the holes which were supposed to hold them in place, causing some alarming sounds when the calculator is shaked around... I feel as though a completely transparent case would be quite interesting, instead of the slightly frosted, covered in glitter ones Razz Also, the gold ones, although they look pretty snazzy, I think they would look a little strange to walk around with especially for a guy (not trying to get into gender roles or anything)

Now I have to start thinking about alternative faceplate methods. Maybe some hidden screws or something.
But we all know those alarming shaking sounds. RIP my sanity.
I feel like with the gold one all you would have to worry about is all of the strange looks you would get (i.e. "who buys a gold calc?" or "who cares that much about calculators?" or "is that real gold?" or ***snatches calc and runs). Unless you have a reputation at the place for being the calculator nerd and no one would put it past you to buy a golden calculator (this is the point where I smile and point at myself).
Now if the HP Prime does this, I'll be somewhat happier with the fact that I'm not a year younger and would be in line for this.
Now nobody has to be jealous of the Gold 84+CE and the prize that "lucky" winner won is worthless Razz
Well I guess I have to say it looks cool
I want to see a lime green calc, but the gold looks awesome!!
KingInfinity wrote:
Now nobody has to be jealous of the Gold 84+CE and the prize that "lucky" winner won is worthless Razz
She still had it an extra six months (and got it for free!), so I wouldn't quite call it worthless.

Regarding a green calculator, at T^3 2015 someone I spoke to mentioned that psychological research indicated green might be a controversial or otherwise bad color to offer, hence the lack of one. I would be very surprised if they offered a green TI-84 Plus CE in the near future.
KermMartian wrote:
KingInfinity wrote:
She still had it an extra six months (and got it for free!), so I wouldn't quite call it worthless.

Regarding a green calculator, at T^3 2015 someone I spoke to mentioned that psychological research indicated green might be a controversial or otherwise bad color to offer, hence the lack of one. I would be very surprised if they offered a green TI-84 Plus CE in the near future.

I'm not exactly sure how green is "controversial or otherwise bad" despite what psychological research says. Personally, I would have purchased a green CE instead of a blue on if it were available. I think it would fit nicely with the other color options:

(Image credit: earthnite)
Hey, I'm with you; I think it's a very snazzy color (and how awesome is that image?). I'm sure they did heavy research into the colors that they eventually chose to maximize how many people would buy them, though, so we have the colors we do. To someone on IRC who said I probably wish I had the gold one to complete my collection: I do, but I also need Denim, Lightning, Plum, black, Silver, and Pink. Smile
all we need now is maroon Razz
Maybe in the future, there will be an unnoficial wooden edition. I mean, Caleb Hansberry made a wooden 82 case, so who knows? Maybe in the future he would like to make a wooden TI-84 Plus CE. Smile
It's not a Silver Edition. Wink

edit: TI-84 Plus Chartruese Edition
CVSoft wrote:
It's not a Silver Edition. Wink

edit: TI-84 Plus Chartruese Edition
Clearly the Gold Edition is strictly superior to the Silver Edition. I had a rendering of a color-inverted and -edited TI-83 Plus Silver Edition that I made back in the day, but I'm afraid I can't find it. Neutral
So gold is the first color, but what is the second? Wonder no more, the world now knows!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours