I found my old TI83 Plus again, and I don't have a link cable. But I wanted to know if there is a way to use assembly hex to obtain characters such as Ω, ►, and so on and store them in a string? The only thing I can find close to that is using assembly to output a character on the last cursor position using the value in ans:

Code:

ClrHome
65+{7,4,11,15
Asm(prgmASCII

Which would come out with:

Code:

HELP
I know you could use Assembly to throw the characters into a string, and there's a couple programs which can do this already. I'm not sure if there's any which are simple to type in by hand.

Typing Asm by hand isn't impossible, but I would warn you that there's a fairly high chance of losing everything in RAM. You could be rigorous about archiving everything, but that is somewhat annoying.

I think the simplest way to do that would be to write an assembly snippet to write a number in ANS to a string.
The way strings on the calculator isn't like ascii, it's tokenized, which means that each string such as Asm, ClrHome, etc is stored in RAM as either a one- or two- byte code. If you input such a thing in ans it would be fairly trivial to write a program to store that into Str1. I'm not sure how typeable that would be, I'll see what I can come up with shortly.
Can't you just change the values in the list (and the 65) to output any ascii char you want?
I don't know precisely which characters you want, nor do I know the numbers for each character, so it would require some fiddling around, I would recommend making a larger list so that you can go through more characters at once. I'm assuming this is some code you found that displays the ascii char that equates to each number in your list such as

Code:
EFD74A3DC0EB462323C5EF7A41E5EFEF4AEF0445E1C110F1C9
I believe Kerm wrote a program called Charz2.0 which I took great advantage of, and when I examined the code, he literally had this in it:

Code:

"abcdefghijklmonopqrstuvwxyz►◄▪×√↑↓…θαβγΔ→Str0

*Note it had more chars than shown here

Hooloovoo had the idea I was looking for.

Also, the reason is that I am making a game that requires ASCII mapping. Storing the maps as strings and writing to the screen with Output(1,1,Str1 is much faster than using mr womp womp's asm hex and using a For( loop.
It's remarkably hard to find for some reason, but this (Charz v3.0) is the program you're talking about. We used assembly to get all of the printable characters into a string in a TI-BASIC program, so you could use assembly to construct a similar string.
soulfighter wrote:
I believe Kerm wrote a program called Charz2.0 which I took great advantage of, and when I examined the code, he literally had this in it:

Code:

"abcdefghijklmonopqrstuvwxyz►◄▪×√↑↓…θαβγΔ→Str0

*Note it had more chars than shown here

Hooloovoo had the idea I was looking for.

Also, the reason is that I am making a game that requires ASCII mapping. Storing the maps as strings and writing to the screen with Output(1,1,Str1 is much faster than using mr womp womp's asm hex and using a For( loop.

I know there are better ways, but he said he doesn't have a link cable and can therefore not transfer things such as Charz to his calculator. Besides, I meant use the trick to get the characters you want in a string then use that string, not keep using the opcode to get the characters you want.
As Hooloovoo said, strings are tokenized. But not all characters have token representations. In particular, AFAIK there is no token that represents the ► in ►Frac, so it wouldn't be possible to store that in a string.

A list of all tokens can be found at http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/tokens.
I personally don't mind having to type in the hex to get the characters. I just want the characters. I am fully aware of the risks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours