I have been working on porting the classic Atari game Centipede.
Although similar to other shoot-em' up games like Space Invaders, and Galaga, Centipede features some different mechanics- your points are mushrooms scattered in a field. Try not to shoot them while bugs invade your crops!
This will use the actual Atari spritesheet. One of the things I am debating is how to handle orientation. What's your opinion? Should I just not use the sides, should I port it horizontal so it uses the whole screen, or should I have the user turn the calc sideways?

Some other logistics:
The centipede will continue in a given direction until it hits something, in that case it will turn around and go down a level.
Every time a centipede spawns, the palette of the entire screen changes.
Oh no haha. I've been working on a very similar project, although I haven't done much coding yet. Seeing as I did a port of Centipede on the TI-83/83+ non-colour series, I was going to make Millipede (the sequel) for the TI-84+CE

Would I be stepping on your toes if I kept going ahead with this?

Aside from that, I'm excited to see what you come up with! Smile
JamesV wrote:
Would I be stepping on your toes if I kept going ahead with this?

Go ahead, they are two different games! Even if they were the same, every port is different. I may need to ask for some help with some specific features that Centipede has (i.e. how the game reacts when you do xyz), as you seem to be an expert!
Yeah I agree with KingInfinity. Heck, I was planning to make a bare-bones CE Textlib-based shoot-em-up just for kicks once (based on my 2002 Galaxian BASIC clone), even though we already have Spaze Invaders and Calcuzap. Just as long as we don't go overboard (eg 10 different versions of Snake or Phoenix)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours