TI-84 Plus Family Emulator for the CE
Here's my latest overly ambitious project! I've always wanted to play Five Nights at Freddy's or other 84+ exclusive games on a calculator, but I don't have an 84+, just my 82 and my CE. So, this is my mission: play an 84+ game on my CE without CEPORT CE. Updates will be posted as regularly as possible.

Old post content:
You read that right - emulating a TI calculator on a TI calculator. I've done some research, and it seems feasible as far as memory and screen size (approx. 3.33x bigger, apparently). I'm fairly sure that the CE has the power to emulate the monochromes. Pretty much the only annoying thing is dumping a ROM to use, since I can't exactly distribute it freely (TI is very strict about this, making me fill out a form to just get a download link to 2.55MP). Any kind of suggestions on how to implement such a thing would be greatly appreciated, as far as how to interpret the Z80 code to eZ80 (think TI-Boy CE). All this would be written in C, of course. Thanks!
I'd suggest z80 ASM as opposed to C since the majority of the monochrome code can be run natively in z80 mode - but would need to handle port accesses and some other things like paging etc, but it absolutely can be done imo.
tr1p1ea wrote:
I'd suggest z80 ASM as opposed to C since the majority of the monochrome code can be run natively in z80 mode - but would need to handle port accesses and some other things like paging etc, but it absolutely can be done imo.

Good to hear, thanks. I'm not well-versed in assembly in general, my only experience with it is for the 6502. Do you have any suggestions for Z80/eZ80 assembly opcode references? I checked out eZ80 Heaven, but several of the pages are totally blank.
Yeah, eZ80 Heaven is really incomplete. There are some docs on eZ80 assembly here, and eZ80 assembly is similar enough to Z80 assembly that ASMin28Days will be of help. For reference, you can't beat the processor manual, which includes descriptions of all of the opcodes.
Hey jasper7474, I found some emulator code on github for the Z80 written in pure C. Let me know what you think. (I believe you still need a basic understanding of how to use ASM, Also, the code is under the GPL license, meaning you'll have to give credit if needed.)
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Hey jasper7474, I found some emulator code on github for the Z80 written in pure C. Let me know what you think. (I believe you still need a basic understanding of how to use ASM, Also, the code is under the GPL license, meaning you'll have to give credit if needed.)

Anything written in pure C is going to be incredibly slow compared to assembly. The eZ80 can already do like 90% of the work of emulating code for the Z80 calcs in hardware, so using a generic C implementation that doesn't take advantage of that is going to be hundreds or thousands of times slower.

I'd recommend looking into tr1p1ea's TI-81 CE, which emulates a TI-81 on a CE.
Thanks so much for all the help!
@Alvajoy123 That's a cool find. I probably never would have found that myself. I hardly understand what's going on in it though Smile
@commandblockguy I never knew about the TI-81 CE thing! That's also cool. I'll take some inspiration (and maybe some code) from that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours