Well I had 10 zombies then I died and it shut down completely
We need more than that. Has your calculator ever unexpectedly crashed before? How do we reproduce the bug? Are there any shells installed; can you reproduce the bug without them?
Yeah, unless it happens to someone else in similar circumstances while playing Zombie Chase, I can neither confirm nor deny that this is caused by my program.
This looks rather fun Smile

Couple ideas for a more challenging mode:

HP decreases over time, because you are fighting the zombie virus while they are chasing you

Perhaps zombies get smarter to intercept the food before you?
tifreak8x wrote:
This looks rather fun Smile

Couple ideas for a more challenging mode:

HP decreases over time, because you are fighting the zombie virus while they are chasing you

Perhaps zombies get smarter to intercept the food before you?


Interesting idea. I'll be sure to look into it. Smile
No. I was using Cesium. I had 10 zombies and I died. Then the whole screen started displaying a whole bunch of colors. I pressed the reset button but that did no good. I took the battery out but that did no good either. Then what should I do? Well My only option was to press 2nd+Delete+Reset
#Tankidaboss wrote:
No. I was using Cesium. I had 10 zombies and I died. Then the whole screen started displaying a whole bunch of colors. I pressed the reset button but that did no good. I took the battery out but that did no good either. Then what should I do? Well My only option was to press 2nd+Delete+Reset

What in the world does that key combination do... This makes no sense Very Happy I would recommend coming up with a demonstrable case where it fails and the steps required to reproduce it. I've been trying forever to get it to fail, and it hasn't yet Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
#Tankidaboss wrote:
No. I was using Cesium. I had 10 zombies and I died. Then the whole screen started displaying a whole bunch of colors. I pressed the reset button but that did no good. I took the battery out but that did no good either. Then what should I do? Well My only option was to press 2nd+Delete+Reset

What in the world does that key combination do... This makes no sense Very Happy I would recommend coming up with a demonstrable case where it fails and the steps required to reproduce it. I've been trying forever to get it to fail, and it hasn't yet Razz
That key combination sounds like an attempt at the OS invalidation key sequence, [2nd]-[DEL]-[ON]-Reset.
NEW FEATURE: Once "bitten" by a zombie, you become infected! Health decreases after you've been bitten, so you have less time to get points. Also, health packs give more health after being bitten.

Thanks tifreak8x for the suggestion!

Screenshot:


Should be approved for the archives soon!

Any other suggestions are appreciated! Also, let me know if it's still too easy for you. Wink
*Bump*

I was playing this amazing game, and when I died, my score was 26.

Afterwards, the screen turned completely green, and after a few seconds, slowly turned white, and it didn't even play the Fail message. I had to hit the reset button on the back. Fortunately, I didn't lose anything thanks to the backup feature on Cesium.

I did launch it from Cesium, could that be the cause of the crash?
*necro-bump*

Hey everyone, I'm back! And I just purchased my very own TI-84 Plus CE, and I decided to pick up this project once again! So, I've experienced the bug where the screen goes white and then you have to press the reset button, and I think it was because the "health" variable was trying to go below zero. Still not sure, but so far so good with my bug fixes. Also, new feature: Bombs! So, I couldn't think of any way that projectile weapons could work, so I decided that dropping bombs was the next best thing. \_(ツ)_/ It's working okay, I'm sure there are some bugs to be worked out, but it's still a work in progress. I have big plans for the future of this game, I just hope I don't lose motivation.

Here's a screenshot to keep you guys interested:

(fyi, the speed is not actually that fast and the numbers in the top left hand corner were just for debugging purposes)

Oh, and btw bombs also act as a sort-of "lure," so when you place a bomb zombies chase it instead of you.

It will probably be a while before I upload an update, so be patient! There are other new features I'd like to implement before releasing the bomb update.
Wow. It has been a looooong time. In fact you left shortly after I registered and I've been here almost 2 years!

Anyways, I haven't played ZombieChase before, but it looks amazing and I'll have to try it! I can't wait for the update, what all are you planning to add?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Wow. It has been a looooong time. In fact you left shortly after I registered and I've been here almost 2 years!

Anyways, I haven't played ZombieChase before, but it looks amazing and I'll have to try it! I can't wait for the update, what all are you planning to add?


Sorry, I've been meaning to reply. In terms of features, alongside the bombs that act as "lures," just plain lures that you could use to distract the zombies while you go collect more health/money/points. Not sure what other objects I had in mind (possibly armor? stronger bombs?), but I was really thinking of implementing a shop where you can buy the lures and bombs and such.

So I have this problem where I get really motivated to work on a project and then if I get stuck, I lose interest until that motivation is renewed again at some future point. I got stuck trying to figure out how to get the shop looking like I wanted and basically rage quit, but I feel like I'll start working on this again soon. Don't get your hopes up too high, but I at least want to release a version that fixes the crash bug (I've gotten a few bad reviews Neutral )

And sorry again for the necrobump. I do intend to at least release the version where the bug is fixed.

Edit:
Just uploaded the update with the bug fix to the archives. The update also includes an updated FAIL screen ("extra gory") and I updated the font of the text at the end (still no font for numbers though). Some screenshots below.



Note: I'm fairly certain that the big crash bug is fixed (it's been a lot easier to test on an actual CE instead of just the emulator). But if anyone has any bugs/issues to report, I'd really appreciate a post in this thread. Thanks, everyone for the support!
I recently had a spark of motivation for this while I'm on a break from college! No progress on the shop or the bombs yet, but I took some inspiration from the reviews in the archives and made some graphical improvements while also finally adding numbers to my font.



As you can see, I've improved the look of the zombies and health packs while also making the sizes bigger to make it a little less frustrating. Originally, I tried using sprites for the zombies and I even had them rotate towards the player, but as more zombies appeared, the game got significantly slower and slower, so I had to scrap that.

I'm not uploading it to the archives just yet because I want to make sure I work out any bugs. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when you pick up health packs at full health. Another thing I'd like to work out is the best way to convert from an integer to a string (for the score at the bottom left). My current implementation uses sprintf(), but it drastically increases the size of the program, so if there are any better alternatives, I'd appreciate the advice!
Looks great and the speed is good too.

I like how at the end they are feasting on you if you fail Very Happy.
Looking awesome! I particularly like the 3D effect on the health bar, it looks quite good. It's always great to see people picking up old(er) projects like this--I remember playing this game when I was first starting out on Cemetech, and I'm sure many others have played the last release of the game as well.

Out of curiosity, have you considered storing some preset rotation angles of the zombie sprite to improve the speed? I used a similar system in my game HailStorm CE, in which all of the asteroid sprites are prescaled so they don't have to be at runtime. If you're using a slower sprite drawing function in the toolchain, such as the gfx_RotatedScaledTransparentSprite function, which I assume you were, you could definitely get a massive speed increase doing this.

As for the picking up health packs at full health question, I'd just have the health stay at the maximum health--it's called "full health" for a reason.

Finally, in response to your converting integer to a string question, I'd simply use the gfx_PrintUInt function. It'll do very well for your use case, considering that you're only (I believe) printing unsigned integers with no additional text at a constant position on the screen.

Great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Looks great and the speed is good too.

I like how at the end they are feasting on you if you fail Very Happy.


Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the feasting at the end. Very Happy

epsilon5 wrote:
Looking awesome! I particularly like the 3D effect on the health bar, it looks quite good. It's always great to see people picking up old(er) projects like this--I remember playing this game when I was first starting out on Cemetech, and I'm sure many others have played the last release of the game as well.

Out of curiosity, have you considered storing some preset rotation angles of the zombie sprite to improve the speed? I used a similar system in my game HailStorm CE, in which all of the asteroid sprites are prescaled so they don't have to be at runtime. If you're using a slower sprite drawing function in the toolchain, such as the gfx_RotatedScaledTransparentSprite function, which I assume you were, you could definitely get a massive speed increase doing this.

As for the picking up health packs at full health question, I'd just have the health stay at the maximum health--it's called "full health" for a reason.

Finally, in response to your converting integer to a string question, I'd simply use the gfx_PrintUInt function. It'll do very well for your use case, considering that you're only (I believe) printing unsigned integers with no additional text at a constant position on the screen.

Great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates!


I considered creating preset rotation angles for the zombies, but I wasn't sure about the speed increase using a different gfx_Sprite function. Plus, I was worried about it taking up more space than necessary, especially if they're prescaled. Maybe I'll play around with it later! And perhaps I'll revisit some other old projects to give them better performance/graphics. As for the "full health," I agree, but I just wasn't sure if being at full health should do something (like making you not infected anymore?).

And I took your advice with gfx_PrintInt()! I went ahead and just converted my font to be used using gfx_SetFontData(). I was reluctant to do this before because I wasn't sure how much work it would be and what the difference in program size would be, but after you mentioned it, I thought it would probably serve my purposes better to just do it. Anyways, while I was at it, I added lowercase support which brings me to my next question.



Should I make the text under "FAIL" lowercase? Or should I keep it all uppercase like it was? (note: I've since fixed the spacing between the 'i' and the 'n' in "Again")
Maybe you can be a tiny bit faster at full health?

Using the regular sprite routines would be much faster than the rotated/scaled ones for a good reason - perhaps you can rotate into a sprite buffer at runtime to save space?
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Should I make the text under "FAIL" lowercase? Or should I keep it all uppercase like it was? (note: I've since fixed the spacing between the 'i' and the 'n' in "Again")


Although I prefer the text under "FAIL" to be lowercase, I find uppercase to be more readable.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Maybe you can be a tiny bit faster at full health?


Hmm not a bad idea. Perhaps there can be purchasable power-ups and this could be one?

tr1p1ea wrote:
Using the regular sprite routines would be much faster than the rotated/scaled ones for a good reason - perhaps you can rotate into a sprite buffer at runtime to save space?


Okay, I'll have to give this a shot later (maybe tomorrow?) and decide what to do based on performance and how I like the way it looks. But I'll also ask for opinions on here too when the time comes. Wink

Alvajoy123 wrote:
Although I prefer the text under "FAIL" to be lowercase, I find uppercase to be more readable.


I'm good either way honestly, but I think I agree that all caps is more readable. The 'M' has changed though, but I think (?) it's more recognizable than it was.

So for today's progress, I did the font, added the limit to the health bar, and made a bunch of changes in the code to make it more readable. One change I made is that now the zombies spawn every 3 to 5 seconds whereas before it was picking a random large number and decrementing every iteration of the game loop; so, now the time between spawns is quantifiable which is nice. This time period can be adjusted, but it seems similar to what it was before. I also made the outline around the health bar thinner because I wasn't a big fan of the thickness.

Final screenshot for today:

  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement