Goals of the project
*Make it
*Make sure I'm not breaking copyright rules by releasing it.

Edit: 3/10/16
Got permission from Toby Fox (creator of UnderTale) on 3/4 to release this publically! (But it's not finished yet)

To do:
xIntro Story
xCollision Detection
xFlowey Dialog
oFlowey Fight
oEverything Else

Screenshots:

Edit: 3/23/16
Cool! Will you make it compatible with all calculators (pure basic, sizing) or just the TI-8x?
So, what is this game going to be about? Is this going to be RPG in style, or something else? Smile

Looks like you have a good start, so far!
Dudeman313 wrote:
Cool! Will you make it compatible with all calculators (pure basic, sizing) or just the TI-8x?

So far, it's just in TI-BASIC, so it's probably compatible with all calculators. That said, I'll probably also release another version for the color calculators, because of color capability and a larger screen.

tifreak8x wrote:
So, what is this game going to be about? Is this going to be RPG in style, or something else? Smile

This is based of the game UNDERTALE (which I recommend playing, it's 8-10 dollars on Steam), but the goal of this project is to bring it to the calculator.
T.Wang wrote:
Dudeman313 wrote:

So far, it's just in TI-BASIC, so it's probably compatible with all calculators. That said, I'll probably also release another version for the color calculators, because of color capability and a larger screen.

tifreak8x wrote:

This is based of the game UNDERTALE (which I recommend playing, it's 8-10 dollars on Steam), but the goal of this project is to bring it to the calculator.

Sounds pretty cool T.Wang! I'm a big Undertale fan myself and have even made some calc versions of a few Undertale songs in Houston Tracker which now makes me wonder if you can run HT2 music in the background. Anyway good luck with your project!

And once I get my cse back maybe I can help with porting it or testing it.
T.Wang wrote:
Dudeman313 wrote:

I can test it with my CE if you get around to this. Wink
I'm working on the Flowey fight. I have a new screenshot. Currently, you can control the heart and you can't escape the box.

How can you do collision detection on the graph screen? Any advice?

There are a few different ways to do collision detection. If you're using something like a tilemap, you can check the position of the moving sprites/player/NPCs that might collide with the contents of the tilemap square they occupy or are about to occupy. For more complex graphics, pixel-based collision detection is often used, where you use pxl-Test() to determine the color of pixels that the sprite is moving towards.
100003493 wrote:
T.Wang wrote:
Dudeman313 wrote:

tifreak8x wrote:

Sounds pretty cool T.Wang! I'm a big Undertale fan myself and have even made some calc versions of a few Undertale songs in Houston Tracker which now makes me wonder if you can run HT2 music in the background. Anyway good luck with your project!

And once I get my cse back maybe I can help with porting it or testing it.

I on the other hand am not a big fan, in fact, I don't know what it is, however, music in the background of a game although it is possible (cough cough Pyoro) it is exceedingly difficult to time right with the rest of the program, it requires libs or the calling of an asm program, and heavily bloats the program if it is a basic program, which it is. I am usually all for learning new skills, but this just seems like a burden more than a skill. Additionally, why did you do the name input that way, is that because that's the way it is in the real game, or just because you felt it looked nice that way?
mr womp womp wrote:

I on the other hand am not a big fan, in fact, I don't know what it is, however, music in the background of a game although it is possible (cough cough Pyoro) it is exceedingly difficult to time right with the rest of the program, it requires libs or the calling of an asm program, and heavily bloats the program if it is a basic program, which it is. I am usually all for learning new skills, but this just seems like a burden more than a skill. Additionally, why did you do the name input that way, is that because that's the way it is in the real game, or just because you felt it looked nice that way?

Yes to both - it looked similar to the real game and it looked nice. Smile
This looks nice, I hope for a release soon (Also I gotta keep this from my brother who's an Undertale fanatic)
Is this gonna be released on the colored calculators?
Calc_Knight wrote:
Is this gonna be released on the colored calculators?

Currently, it should be able to run on color and non-color calculators. However, later on I may switch to using colored calculators.
Due to the massive amounts of suggestions to use assembly programming instead of TI-BASIC, I'll probably start using asm. I've heard of Axe Parcer, it seems to be easier as most of the syntax is similar to TI-BASIC, but I can't find many good resources for using it.

Can anyone send links to good Axe/Asm programming reference sites? Any help is much appreciated.
The documentation here helped me. I can help you if you want.
Although it's in French, the best and most complete Axe tutorial by far can be found here. It certainly has issues when translated using something like Google Translate, but it's probably still worth checking out. Definitely start with the official documentation and command list, though.
Hey guys,
So I've been remaking the game in Axe to make it faster (some of this stuff it really useful) but now that the sub( command is used for subprograms instead of substrings, my number-to-letter converter doesn't work anymore.
Do you guys know how to do a simple number-to-letter thing?
T.Wang wrote:
Hey guys,
So I've been remaking the game in Axe to make it faster (some of this stuff it really useful) but now that the sub( command is used for subprograms instead of substrings, my number-to-letter converter doesn't work anymore.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "number-to-letter", but I suppose something like this:

Code:
sub("ABCDEFGHIJ",N+1,1

If I'm right, in Axe, that would look like this:

Code:
"ABCDEFGHIJ"->Str1
Str1(N
or similar to that.
PT_ wrote:
T.Wang wrote:
Hey guys,

I don't know exactly what you mean by "number-to-letter", but I suppose something like this:

Code:
sub("ABCDEFGHIJ",N+1,1

If I'm right, in Axe, that would look like this:

Code:
"ABCDEFGHIJ"->Str1
Str1(N
or similar to that.

It would actually be a little more like

Code:
"ABCDEFGHIJ"->Str1
Str1+N

assuming N≤9.

I've never actually played Undertale, nor have I watched anyone play (honestly, though, I'm sick of how often it appears in my suggestions for YouTube videos). Still, though, this looks really good!
If you would like to convert anumber to a char (eg 5->'5'), then simply add 48 Wink This will only work with numbers zero through 9 though.
EX program:

Code:

5->N
"Number:_X"->Str1
N+48->{Str+8}
Clrhome
Disp Str1

This will display "Number:_5".
The line 'N+48->{Str+8}' stores the character '5' into the 9th (not a typo) byte of Str1, currently occupied wih an 'X'.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours