Port of my Catylizm game for the TI-84 Plus CE! Written in C, like the original and the Nspire version, it uses the same controls and code.

Screenshots so far:

No releases until Mateo releases a masked scaled sprite routine, though, because doing it in C with his gc_NoClipSetPixelColor(x, y, c) to draw out each sprite makes the game so incredibly slooooow. But I look forward to seeing it fully functional! Smile
Wow, this is really exciting! I love that you were able to develop it with relatively minimal (as far as I know?) changes to the C code, and also as far as I know, that SourceCoder's C-compilation features helped you out? I look forward to the released version once the sprite routine gets sorted out; I know that the sprite routines, especially the masked and clipped ones, have been giving Mateo a lot of headaches.
Wow, I loved the original and I'm glad to see it in colors Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Wow, this is really exciting! I love that you were able to develop it with relatively minimal (as far as I know?) changes to the C code, and also as far as I know, that SourceCoder's C-compilation features helped you out? I look forward to the released version once the sprite routine gets sorted out; I know that the sprite routines, especially the masked and clipped ones, have been giving Mateo a lot of headaches.

Thanks! Yeah, there weren't too many changes besides the graphics. Smile Since the CE has the same screen dimensions as the Nspire, I mostly used the code from that port, which is basically the same as the Prizm version with different graphics routines, so I wouldn't have to go back and forth between the two versions. I did try a couple of things to try to get the speed better (at least on the main menu and the instructions screen), but I ended up going back to the original code. And yes, it saves me the trouble of having to set up the SDK myself. Razz I'm glad the CE has C now. Smile

DJ_O wrote:
Wow, I loved the original and I'm glad to see it in colors Very Happy

Thanks! Smile Although, it has always been in color since I created it (although the Nspire version works on the gray scale variants as well). Razz
Wait, I thought it was for monochrome calculators? I guess I confused your project with another Contest 13 entry. (one of them was for the TI-83+/84+)

Is the speed quite fine overall, as in somewhat smooth or just fast enough to be playable? Do you use a lower color mode such as 8 bits?
Awesome! If I remember correctly, you said you did this all without a CE to even test it on... is that correct? Either way, it looks cool. And by the way, you're not the only one waiting for some new updates to the C graphics library- I'm waiting for tilemapping Smile
DJ_O wrote:
Wait, I thought it was for monochrome calculators? I guess I confused your project with another Contest 13 entry. (one of them was for the TI-83+/84+)

Is the speed quite fine overall, as in somewhat smooth or just fast enough to be playable? Do you use a lower color mode such as 8 bits?

Usually, it would be, but since I don't have a fast sprite drawing routine, it's super slow (even when the emulator is at 500%).

KingInfinity wrote:
Awesome! If I remember correctly, you said you did this all without a CE to even test it on... is that correct? Either way, it looks cool. And by the way, you're not the only one waiting for some new updates to the C graphics library- I'm waiting for tilemapping Smile

Well, I didn't have a CE to start testing on, so most of the code that I started with was just hoping that it would work right. Razz I borrowed a CE from a friend at school for the weekend which allowed me to set up the emulator and fix a bunch of color issues. Smile
Looking good! What else do you plan on porting? I'd love to see Zelda in full color on my CE. But I've heard somewhere that TI-Boy CE is in dev.
Dudeman313 wrote:
Looking good! What else do you plan on porting? I'd love to see Zelda in full color on my CE. But I've heard somewhere that TI-Boy CE is in dev.

Thanks! Yeah, if only. Razz

Btw, here's a gif just in case you were wondering how slow it was:

I was on 500% speed when I captured this gif, so I'm not sure if that's what it captured it in.
That's deathly slow for 500%! I hope you can fix that without too much trouble. Razz
Just wondering how progress on this is going! Has Mateo created the sprite routine you need yet?
So what are you using to draw the graphics with this?

Is your sprite routine in C or is it ASM?

Surely this can't be that slow?
With Mateo's routines, this is the new speed:

There are issues with the transparency, so it will only work with the red backgrounds until Mateo can fix it. I've also asked him for clipped scaled routines because otherwise there are still some graphical errors. Not sure how the clipping will effect the speed, but we'll see. Smile

Edit: Added different gif withh less frame-skip. Also, I'm not quite sure why the side panels are transparent. Neutral
Looking good, can't wait for a release Smile
Unicorn wrote:
Looking good, can't wait for a release Smile

Yeah, me too. Razz

The scaled transparent routines have been fixed! Now I just need the ClippedScaledSprite routines. Smile

Ok that's looking much better!
Since Mateo couldn't get the Scaled Sprites clipped, I had to compromise and only scale the sprites that didn't move off the screen. Still a decent speed, though:

The only thing that bothers me is the size of the game:
You can use compression Smile Should work well with those sprites.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
You can use compression Smile Should work well with those sprites.

New size with compression:

For some reason, the two bottom pixels of the flame are not displayed? It could be a bug with compression, but I feel it's negligible for now.

I will upload to the archives shortly.
Nice work! The decompression should be fine; it probably is just getting the wrong size as input Smile Anywho, I would also recommend making a link to the C libs in your readme Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours