In the theme of education with Texas Instruments' T^3 2016 conference starting tomorrow, this has been the week for new educational tools at Cemetech. Two days ago, we announced C programming support in SourceCoder 3, which allows you to write C programs for your TI-84 Plus CE in your browser. Now, we're proud to present Learn @ Cemetech, documentation to help you use your calculator and program in TI-BASIC, z80 Assembly, ez80 Assembly, and C. We will be migrating other information like our Calculator Documentation pages to the new Learn @ Cemetech wiki. You can also expect the following information:
  • With help and permission from z80 Heaven administrator The Cow, we're proud to present a curated, updated version of z80 Heaven's documentation about z80 assembly.
  • Cemetechians and ez80 programmers Hactar and KingInfinity have given us their blessing to host information from ez80 Heaven as they develop this resource for ez80 assembly programmers.
  • With help and permission from TI-BASIC Developer administrator jonbush, we're very proud to offer an updated subset of TI-BASIC Developer's TI-BASIC command reference and tutorials. We'll be continuing to update it with TI-84 Plus CE-specific information, crossreferences to other TI-BASIC documentation, and thus are calling it Cemetech's (Adapted) TI-BASIC Developer Reference. We hope you'll help us expand it as well!
  • We anticipate that we'll be able to include some TI-84 Plus CE C programming documentation, with the help and assistance of our knowledgeable members.

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the administrators around the community who have worked with us to make this new resource possible. Equally or perhaps more importantly, we need you to work with us to bring the community the best possible documentation. If you find any mistakes, anything you think should be added, or even new areas of information that the Learn @ Cemetech wiki should be covering, don't hesitate: jump right in and start editing. If you encounter any difficulties, just post and we'll try to figure out what went wrong.

Graphing Calculator and Programming Help
Learn @ Cemetech graphing calculator reference

Nice! I can see this being immensely useful going forward.
Quick Fix:
The Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus section displays a link to "Programming The TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" instead of "Using The TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus"
Unless this is intentional?
here is a pic:
Caleb_Hill wrote:
Quick Fix:
The Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus section displays a link to "Programming The TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" instead of "Using The TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus"
Unless this is intentional?
Nice catch. But why not edit it yourself? All Cemetech members now have permissions to edit the Learn, DCS, and Prizm wikis.
Wow! This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure where to put our xLIBC tutorials, could someone point me in the right direction, it would be great.
It seems that the tabs at the bottom of the Development pages (the buttons that allow you to switch between pages, Ex. Planning to Portability) do not function properly. they do not send you to the correct URL, because the code that determines the URL of the next page doesn't function properly. I don't understand it very well. I will try to decipher it, identify the problem, and fix it, but if someone else with the know-how could repair it, that would be much better.
Unicorn wrote:
Wow! This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure where to put our xLIBC tutorials, could someone point me in the right direction, it would be great.
Perhaps you should create a Hybrid BASIC page to list Hybrid BASIC resources? It's up to you.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
It seems that the tabs at the bottom of the Development pages (the buttons that allow you to switch between pages, Ex. Planning to Portability) do not function properly. they do not send you to the correct URL, because the code that determines the URL of the next page doesn't function properly. I don't understand it very well. I will try to decipher it, identify the problem, and fix it, but if someone else with the know-how could repair it, that would be much better.
They're missing the TI-BASIC: prefix on the links. If you could go through and manually repair them, that would be great; if not, I can do it or write a little script to do it. If it's not many pages, it would probably be faster to edit the Prev-next template definition at the bottom of each of the pages to have the TI-BASIC: prefix on the next = and prev = links.
A few questions/suggestions:

-Does it mean that there are possibilities that TI-BD wiki merge entirely with Cemetech in a distant future or will it remain independent and be able to continue hosting the original pages? From my understanding, TI-BD mainly covers monochrome calculator models, but I wasn't sure.
-Is the founder of TI-BD (Burr/Spandiv) aware of this new project?

Also a suggestion: In mobile view it would be nice if the website links continued wrapping on two lines rather than three, even if it means showing three links on one line and four on the other.
Suggestions: Fix file uploads. (there seems to be a problem with it)
Change the background color of code, it looks like regular text.
Other then that, its pretty nice!
Thanks for this! What a great idea Kerm!

It will make it so much easier now to have a single repository of info on programming. Which I will find useful as I learn to program. I will start with Basic and move on to assembly. Coding in assembly is something I always found to be the most interesting, it started back in the early '80's with reading magazine articles about it with the Apple II computer.

May I suggest that SourceCoder developed by Kerm be added in as one of the tools that can be used with Learn@Cemetech?

In what ways could a beginner like myself contribute to Learn@Cemetech?

Thanks,

MagicEcho
This is so awesome! I wish I'd had something like this back when I was learning TI - Basic. Also, I do think a Hybrid Basic section is very needed, and I would love to help contribute to it.
DWMelon wrote:
This is so awesome! I wish I'd had something like this back when I was learning TI - Basic. Also, I do think a Hybrid Basic section is very needed, and I would love to help contribute to it.

Hybrid Basic is already there Smile
Unicorn and I are working on an xLIBC tutorial for beginners, although we (or anyone else Razz) need to finish it Very Happy
magicecho wrote:
Thanks for this! What a great idea Kerm!
I can't take all the credit; my colleagues here both helped dream up the project and put in a lot of effort implementing it.

Quote:
It will make it so much easier now to have a single repository of info on programming. Which I will find useful as I learn to program. I will start with Basic and move on to assembly. Coding in assembly is something I always found to be the most interesting, it started back in the early '80's with reading magazine articles about it with the Apple II computer.
That sounds like a reasonable progression to me. Please do ask if you run into anything about which you have questions.

Quote:
May I suggest that SourceCoder developed by Kerm be added in as one of the tools that can be used with Learn@Cemetech?
I'm not sure there's much to be connected between the two, although being able to test the examples in jsTIfied would be pretty cool.

Quote:
In what ways could a beginner like myself contribute to Learn@Cemetech?
However you'd like, as long as it's good-quality content other people would enjoy! As you learn, it might be valuable to correct or enhance any information in L@C that you think isn't clear enough.

DWMelon wrote:
Thank you, and awesome! I'd love to see your additions to Hybrid BASIC content, either with Unicorn and PT_'s upcoming tutorial or with your own documentation that you'd like to add.
DJ_O wrote:

-Does it mean that there are possibilities that TI-BD wiki merge entirely with Cemetech in a distant future or will it remain independent and be able to continue hosting the original pages? From my understanding, TI-BD mainly covers monochrome calculator models, but I wasn't sure.

I attempted to contact burr several weeks ago, but he did not respond until now. The TI-Basic Developer content will be removed from Cemetech, but will remain available at tibasicdev.wikidot.com. There should be no need to merge TI|BD with Cemetech, as the information is being actively maintained and is reliably available.
jonbush wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

I attempted to contact burr several weeks ago, but he did not respond until now. The TI-Basic Developer content will be removed from Cemetech, but will remain available at tibasicdev.wikidot.com. There should be no need to merge TI|BD with Cemetech, as the information is being actively maintained and is reliably available.
This surprises me, since we're following the CC:BY:NC:SA terms of the original content's license, not to mention attempting to create positive learning value for the community and improving other community tools with better documentation. I assume you've started a private conversation with me about this somewhere? I just got back from the T^3 conference.
You actually aren't. Author information is not preserved by Management script and thus attribution is not being given. Plus you have the wrong version of the license linked, 2.0 vs. TI|BD's 3.0.

It's a lot better for everyone if the TI|BD content is removed. I do not doubt that Cemetech can independently create a command index with information, and it is unnecessary and unjust to copy someone else's work to put under your own name.
CVSoft: My understanding is that attribution to TI|BD as the source is correct and sufficient. Obviously acknowledging each of the individual contributors would be feasible and fine too, if slightly more time-consuming. Yes, we can absolutely create an independent command index for that information, then add the references to my books, and add information on the TI-84+CE, and make it work with SC3, etc, but that seems like a waste of everyone's time. If I'm the only one working on it, it's definitely not going to happen, because I'm pretty much reaching a crisis with my time. TI|BD hasn't been copied under my or our own name, nor was that the intent (and an understanding on our goals in providing a command reference and routine library had been reached, I had believed); the TI|BD category tag is on every single page.

DJ_O wrote:
Not at all. TI|BD is a great resource with a forum, file archives, programming challenges, 68k documentation, TI-Nspire documentation, and more. We have none of that in our originally planned-to-continue-to-be-modified-and-adapted content taken by permission+license from TI|BD, nor do I think Cemetech is a place that should be just about making the best TI-BASIC reference and resource available. Learn @ Cemetech specifically is intended as a general calculator programming and information reference, and I'd say necessarily would have to be less useful as a pure BASIC community than something specifically built and already successful at that purpose.

Everyone else: this discussion has been taken offline. Those who wish to pile on additional thoughts, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but unless it's positive and suggestions for extra resources we can provide to programmers looking to learn, it's probably not helpful.
In the routines page, code is currently formatted in an inconsistent mix of SourceCoder and TI-Connect syntax. It should be standardized (code boxes would be a good idea too). Which one do you all prefer?

TI-Connect syntax has my voteā€”it's easier to read.
My thoughts: I prefer SourceCoder 3 syntax because it does not require special characters and is what I typically use. I think the best solution for users may be to support toggling between the two.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours