Hello everyone! Smile I am always constantly locking myself out of my dorm room, for the simple reason that I cannot seem to remember to keep my key card on my person Razz So, partially inspired by Kerm's pretty fancy SMSDoor Project, I decided to make something somewhat similar.

Using an HC-06 bluetooth module, I connected it to a spare Arduino Uno that I had lying around (TI Launchpads are way cooler and cheaper, by the way), and from there connected it to an Spring SM-S4303R Continuous Rotation Servo, which would be used to pull down the handle of the door. Because our room had a heavy fire door and non-exposed hinges, making an automatically opening door wasn't an option in this case. From there, the next task was to make an Android app so that way I could connect via the app to the bluetooth module, tell the Arduino to spin the servo, and thus open the door. Design and implementation took about 3 hours; and I had to wait about 2 days for the servo to ship, which wasn't too bad.

Thus, I present DoorLock, a way to open the door via my phone, without the need for a key or entry card: (Pretty fun indeed Smile)

It has a standard two-stage authentication, one when paring the actual bluetooth device, and another in the app itself. I just hardcoded the MAC address of the bluetooth module into the app because that's the only one it was going to be used in Razz

Power comes from two nine volt batteries; one to drive the Arduino, and one to drive the servo when a signal is received. And of course, the app also gives you the ability to change the password by pressing on the blue lock icon on the bottom.

Click images to view higher resolution

The finished product:

The app interface:

Just thought someone might enjoy this Smile
Okay, real question: What happens if you leave your phone and key card in your dorm? Is the app available for download from a private site so you can use another phone? Why not use a web app so that you don't need to pair the phone to the module?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Okay, real question: What happens if you leave your phone and key card in your dorm?

Haha, I never leave my phone. IRC cloud keeps me updated Razz

comicIDIOT wrote:
Is the app available for download from a private site so you can use another phone? Why not use a web app so that you don't need to pair the phone to the module?

Because I had a bluetooth module that I wasn't using. The app is on my own server, yes, so it is relatively simple to just transfer the apk to a random phone and just use that.
Seems like wall power is the next obvious upgrade.
elfprince13 wrote:

Probably. But there's no plug anywhere near the door; which means a large extension cord. I like keeping it contained Razz
Next step: have the app donate 25 cents to a charity per unlock, to encourage you to remember your key card Laughing
MateoConLechuga wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Probably. But there's no plug anywhere near the door; which means a large extension cord. I like keeping it contained Razz

Alternatively, a photovoltaic cell and a wall-power laser aimed at the door Wink
elfprince13 wrote:

Alternatively, a photovoltaic cell and a wall-power laser aimed at the door ;)

Haha

But seriously I am in the same boat here: almost never apart from my iphone but misplace the rest all the time. Unfortunately this physical solution will not be feasible on shared doors - i wonder if cloning electronic touch passes or fobs is possible to the iphones directly or is the signal they create or interact with is totally different to what iphone can do? I noticed that putting iphone and the card together messes up recognition of the card
Awesome! Just one question, you said this is a dorm room right? So is the box taped onto your door or what? Because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to drill Razz
Michael2_3B wrote:
Awesome! Just one question, you said this is a dorm room right? So is the box taped onto your door or what? Because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to drill Razz

It's velcroed.
Cool! My roommate and I built something for my dorm too, but ours is a fingerprint sensor.

It just broke, but once my roommate and I get ours back up and working, I will post pictures.
The next step is to build a robot that controls your dorm room and doesn't have a physical body. Like that one from Iron Man. What was it called? JarJar? Jarvit? Jarvos? Jorvas? Wink
Anyway, this is really cool! Props as always, Mateo!
123outerme wrote:
The next step is to build a robot that controls your dorm room and doesn't have a physical body. Like that one from Iron Man. What was it called? JarJar? Jarvit? Jarvos? Jorvas? Wink
Anyway, this is really cool! Props as always, Mateo!

Jarvis

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours