I found this place and hopefully you can help.

I have a 7 year old calculator that has made it through 2 high school students and I'm trying to get it through #3. It has been working great then all of a sudden, not. The first time I replaced the batteries and that fixed it but now, not. This is the screen I get :

The block in the upper left is solid - not blinking.

Any ideas?
Sounds like something is stuck in the linkport at the top. Check in there and see if there's something like a pencil lead jammed in.
Ivoah wrote:
Sounds like something is stuck in the linkport at the top. Check in there and see if there's something like a pencil lead jammed in.

Nothing I can see.
Have you tried resending the OS?
none of the buttons do anything except if you press the ON button again, the screen clears everything except the black square.
Ivoah wrote:

No. How do I do that ?
warpspeed wrote:
Ivoah wrote:

No. How do I do that ?

First, please don't post again to the same topic within 24 hours of your last post, unless somebody else has posted in the meantime, it's forum etiquette Smile

And second, you would download and install the TI-Connect CE software from here, and then download the TI-84+ SE OS from here. If you connect the calculator to your computer via a USB cable, it should show up in TI-Connect. Then simply drag the OS file to the calculator in TI-Connect.
The PC doesn't see it. I'm sure that mean something. Surprised
warpspeed wrote:
The PC doesn't see it. I'm sure that mean something. Surprised
Are you using TI Connect to look for it, or are you using the file explorer built in to windows? The file explorer will not find it, only TI Connect will.
That sounds a lot like something stuck in the link port to me, strangely enough. Do you have something like a safety pin or sewing needle you can use to make sure there isn't pencil lead way on the bottom or something?
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds a lot like something stuck in the link port to me, strangely enough. Do you have something like a safety pin or sewing needle you can use to make sure there isn't pencil lead way on the bottom or something?

I had a calculator with very similar symptoms. There was nothing in the link port when I checked with a pin, but when I took it apart and popped the little plastic top thing off the link port (hard to describe) (which I later superglued back on), there was a mechanical pencil lead wedged between the contacts, which I think(?) I removed with tweezers.

Do you have a Torx T6 driver you could use to open the calculator? Also, if you don't, if you're lucky an Allen key might work - they've worked in the past for me before I got a proper Torx driver.
Using TI Device Explorer in TI Connect.

I will try and probe with a needle but I can't see anything.
Took it apart and can't find anything in either port. Put back together and still the same.

Any other suggestions?
Are any of the keys stuck in? Failing that, did batteries leak acid inside at any point, or did any soda or other sugary drink get spilled on the keypad?
No stuck keys that I could tell.

One of the batteries leaked but the calculator worked after that for quite some time - like 6 months.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours